autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready to order - new to detailing

Hello,
    I have been a very long time lurker and now that I have a full fleet of vehicles that need detailing I have decided to pull the trigger and some gear. I am double checking with the experts here that I am not overlooking something obvious.

I have four cars and two motorcycles (including two black cars) and they are all starting to show signs of swirl. I use the two bucket system and I pay attention to my washing technique but the swirls are showing up nonetheless.

I am planning on buying the Rupes MKII LHR15 and the LHR75E with a boatload of pads along with the Rupes polishes. I have read many reviews of the 15 vs 21 and I am fairly convinced that the 15 is for me in lieu of the 21.

Before I hit "order" any further thoughts?

Thanks
    Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting ready to order - new to detailing

I see you mention polishes, did you have a last step product in mind?

Do you have supplies for decontamination steps (clay/substitute, iron remover, tar remover if needed)?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I have two new cars - Mustang GT as well as a Jeep Wrangler (both are black) as well as I have restored 1981 F150 with "fancy" paint. That said I was thinking of the following in addition to the polishers:

Foam cannon of some sort
    IronX
    Nanoskin wash mitt
    Tar remover (thanks - I forgot that one)
    Wax - not sure what I am going to do here

What I am trying not to do is over complicate this but I think I already have done just that. The Mustang has a lot of curves and the Jeep has lot of hinges and external things that is pushing me towards getting a 6" polisher and the mini. I keep telling myself as justification that buying the right gear the first time is still cheaper than paying for someone to do it for me.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing looks as good on black cars as Pinnacle Souveran wax.

Do you have some high quality MF towels?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

High quality MF towels? To be honest I wouldn't know a good one if it hit me in the head. I have a big bundle I got from Sam's that seem to be soft but that probably doesn't mean much.

Pinnacle Souveran Wax...I will look into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heesman View Post
    High quality MF towels? To be honest I wouldn't know a good one if it hit me in the head. I have a big bundle I got from Sam's that seem to be soft but that probably doesn't mean much.

Pinnacle Souveran Wax...I will look into it.
    Oh boy, if you've got black cars I would definitely look into better towels. I know some folks get by with the cheaper ones, but for what you're investing in equipment I'd hate to skimp on the last thing that touches the paint. Someone recently posted this link Favorite Microfiber for Specific Detailing Task List (Autopian Suggestions) for towels as something to page through.

I should have added, I don't think a tar removal product is essential unless you know you get tar.

For Iron X, it's a solid product, but maybe check out reviews of the McKee's extreme iron remover. I like the idea of it as it's PH balanced so to me there's less worry if it doesn't get fully rinsed out of every nook and cranny. I know Griot's just came out with a Fallout Remover that's along that same line. And both are reported to smell less...terrible.

For your clay mitt, I would recommend getting a lubricant product for it. I tried using one with soapy water from my wash bucket and didn't care for it. I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine, but you could also consider getting Wolfgang Uber Rinseless as a multi purpose product - rinseless/waterless wash + clay lube.

For your last step product, that's always hard for me to recommend. There's so many different products on here people love. Since your doing so many cars, maybe a sealant would be a better fit? I think I've heard a lot of positive feedback for Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Then there are other options for drying aids/boosters, but I'll try to stop complicating it.

"I keep telling myself as justification that buying the right gear the first time is still cheaper than paying for someone to do it for me."

The best part of doing it yourself is the feeling when you're done. It really is super rewarding when you finish. And if you get all the gear, you're set for when you have to touch it up. I think Mike Phillips has a post about black cars being a full time job...