autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupees polishing pads

Thought it was blasphemy to speak ill of Rupes around here.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Buy a flex 3401 much better machine in my own opinion.
    Lol! Funny guy.

Mike Phillips

When I hold any RUPES classes, we go through a ton of RUPES pads. Same for my boat detailing classes as we use the RUPES coarse blue foam pad to finish out gel-coat.

I wash all my RUPES pads and then re-use them unto death. Either the velcro backing will eventually delaminate or the foam will rip up. The coarse blue foam cutting pads are a very large open cell foam formula with from experience has a low tensile strength, (which is what also makes them sharp and fast cutting), and so it's only normal for the blue foam pads to wear out faster than the green, yellow and white.

I love the white RUPES pads for show car work.

I really like RUPES pads and we punish them very hard here at our classes and for our car detailing projects.

My recommendation is always the same, anyone thinking of getting into RUPES polishers really should go all in and get the RUPES system. That means RUPES polishers, pads and products. Become an EXPERT with the RUPES system and only after you've mastered their system start to experiment with other pads and products. This way, should something go wrong, that is you don't get stellar results using a RUPES polisher with some other brand of pad or product, you can RECOVER by going back to the system.

Make sense?

The COVER of a book is important. It's a large chunk of print real-estate for you to make your most important statement. If you look at the cover of my RUPES book, (the only book ever written on the RUPES polishers), the title was written by me VERY specifically.

It does NOT say

How to use RUPES polishers

It says,

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System

And as I make the case in the book, RUPES is not a tool, it's a system. Just ask any RUPES Rep and I'm confident they'll agree with the title of my book.

Here's another article I wrote for RUPES fans and even the guys at RUPES...

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers

I showed this test the the head engineer, Marco D'Inca when I was in Norway for the first RUPES Detailing Seminar, they thought it was pretty cool.

Mike and Yancy going to Norway! RUPES Norway Detailing Seminar - February 26th, 27th & 28th

Mike Phillips

More...

Here's another fun article and good read...

Mind Blowing - Rupes Blue Foam Cutting Pad and Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound

I could do this all day....

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. I was recently told by Rupes that I should only use their pads on my 5 " Rupes 15. I complained because my 5" 3M Buffing Pads were flying off when polishing with Marine31. Granted the pad was prey loaded with oxides and polish from the boat. Glad I had my very first buffer with me, the Griots 6 and 6" pads. At the end of the day just as a test I pulled the Griots Pad off and it felt very tight with the hook and loop system they have. Once the very used Griots pads were removed I put the 3M soaked pad on the Griots 6" buffer and it held just as tightly as the Griots pads. Interesting.
    So now I'm wondering about Lake County Pads on the Rupes new back up pad that they are sending me. Prices are significantly less than Rupes but I am more concerned about performance and durability than price. Are there any similar issues with those of this forum.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12