autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Ibrid Nano Paint Correction 50/50 Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post
    1. Part of the expense with the tool is the ability to have a small tool that will not lose power, that will not bog down due to inadequate power, and in such a small platform. The electrical motors took a lot of engineering to make in order to be able to meet demand and function correctly. And to run off battery for sustained time (30min) plus the added tooling to switch functions cost a bit also.
    2. The price likely only makes a bit of profit margin (until many get sold), but to justify it, they had to throw in the case and extra bits to make it look worthwhile to the end user.
    3. In a year or two, I would bet they start offering tools at the lesser prices without the kits for replacements for ones that wore out. They IMHO will I assume end up making a 3" that functions the same or added bits to allow for 3".

This is viewed by many in the detailing world as a game changer. One tool that will do rotary, and DA and give you the ability to change heads for orbital throw depending on what panel or crevice your working in. There are so many possibilities with this tool we haven't even begun to see what comes of it.

Many people such as Kevin Brown, Mike Phillips and the like, will start developing their own special pads, or backing plates for this tool to accomplish work they are doing with better results. ( I am already going to be using 1" MF cutting pads with this, but NOT on rotary setting) This will end up trickling down to those who just do home Paint Corrections. Those who are in the PC business will have uses for these tools, however not all will. But eventually most will end up buying one so it will be a real big seller for RUPES. I am willing to bet, this tool will outsell the Bigfoot line of large throw polishers at some point. Too many different uses. Hell I am planning on using it on a side project to brush the grout in tile in a bathroom. Beats water and power cord for sure.

Just some thoughts.

I agree! I got almost 40 minutes of run time on one pack. The nice thing is the power stays consistent and doesn't drop off at the end of the pack. 20 minutes to fully charge a pack. So essentially you could always be on battery power as long as you're recharging right after the pack is spent.

I also like the included brushes. One is nylon and the other is a soft horse hair. Great for cleaning brake calipers and perforated leather.

I have absolutely no regrets buying it the way it was and for the money. Once you get it in hand and use it you will quickly agree. It is a high end quality tool with many uses.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Velocity -

Off topic, but the only grout I specify is epoxy grout these days. It's a ton helluva lot more work in application and cleaning off, but the tradeoff is that it's completely non porus....I once had a dinner party, red wine bottle fell....and the grout was unfazed. Look into that if it has not come across your radar. btw, just to be clear, it is truely a b1tch to use on the epoxy grout, but it pays itself off in spades.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
    Hey Velocity -

Off topic, but the only grout I specify is epoxy grout these days. It's a ton helluva lot more work in application and cleaning off, but the tradeoff is that it's completely non porus....I once had a dinner party, red wine bottle fell....and the grout was unfazed. Look into that if it has not come across your radar. btw, just to be clear, it is truely a b1tch to use on the epoxy grout, but it pays itself off in spades.
    I appreciate that, looking to redo a bathroom possibly and shower with tile, so will look into that and see when the time comes. I am in Afghanistan right now, headed home next month, so gotta make decisions on the house then. We will see, but the nylon brushes will likely see some cleaner on the current grout!!!!!!.

Yea, just bought an AM DB9 in black, and bought this tool specifically for use on that, and the other small things. But, really cannot wait to get to work on that paint. Excites me almost as much as just getting to see the car for the first time. Its never seen rain or been driven in anything other than sunny weather. I swear the underside you could drop a plate of eggs on it and eat its so new looking. But, a detailed write up will be given as usual when I do a high end car.

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. I can easily name a handful of places where I would use the iBrid. The battery system is just a deal breaker for me....

Other manuf. in other industries have utilized other brands battery systems. Some I suppose have them OE the tooling for them. I just wish, wish being a word, that the battery system was just something where a end user might have more hands on with. You gotta pay to play , I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Velocitybts View Post
    1. Part of the expense with the tool is the ability to have a small tool that will not lose power, that will not bog down due to inadequate power, and in such a small platform. The electrical motors took a lot of engineering to make in order to be able to meet demand and function correctly. And to run off battery for sustained time (30min) plus the added tooling to switch functions cost a bit also.
    2. The price likely only makes a bit of profit margin (until many get sold), but to justify it, they had to throw in the case and extra bits to make it look worthwhile to the end user.
    3. In a year or two, I would bet they start offering tools at the lesser prices without the kits for replacements for ones that wore out. They IMHO will I assume end up making a 3" that functions the same or added bits to allow for 3".

This is viewed by many in the detailing world as a game changer. One tool that will do rotary, and DA and give you the ability to change heads for orbital throw depending on what panel or crevice your working in. There are so many possibilities with this tool we haven't even begun to see what comes of it.

Many people such as Kevin Brown, Mike Phillips and the like, will start developing their own special pads, or backing plates for this tool to accomplish work they are doing with better results. ( I am already going to be using 1" MF cutting pads with this, but NOT on rotary setting) This will end up trickling down to those who just do home Paint Corrections. Those who are in the PC business will have uses for these tools, however not all will. But eventually most will end up buying one so it will be a real big seller for RUPES. I am willing to bet, this tool will outsell the Bigfoot line of large throw polishers at some point. Too many different uses. Hell I am planning on using it on a side project to brush the grout in tile in a bathroom. Beats water and power cord for sure.

Just some thoughts.
    All of that is true. However, from what I can see, the price is a barrier for most people who would want to buy one, but are not generating revenue/income from the iBrid. There has been a lot of engineering time and expense built into the unit because it is cordless. If Rupes were to keep the head assembly, and make a corded unit at a significantly lower cost, they could create a complete aftermarket for the unit.

Create a unit that is corded, that can use a somewhat less efficient (= cheaper) motor, which is not an issue as it will be corded, and perhaps make the handle smaller. They could do this a couple of ways: Straight wall power, or through some sort of locking power adapter/wall wart type power. Keep the rotary and 12 mm DA head attachment options, make the 3mm DA head optional. Un-bundle the rest of the parts that are in the kit. If that is done, and they can cut to cost to below $250, they would be able to create an aftermarket like the PC did. It would make the iBrid Jr. (for want of a better name) pretty much a standard part of any detailer's toolkit.

The other part, of course is the batteries. While professional detailers would use the current cordless iBrid pretty much all of the time, so the batteries would be used, and maintained constantly. However, the non-professional detailers would be using this far less often. This will lead to batteries failing pretty quickly, and while this may be an assumption, I don't thing that replacement batteries will not be cheap. This may even be a factor for professional detailers.There are many people who buy cordless drills for example, that use them only a few times a year, and the batteries fail within a year, I think far more batteries fail due to lack of use than do because of wearing out, and it applies to all battery types, including Lithium based ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    There are plenty. Just not with a battery option and switching from rotary to DA.

Rupes ta-50
    Rupes lhr75 (arguably)
    Flex PE-8
    3M 28363 (arguably)
    Many 2" pneumatics
    And now a dremel type device with special pads
    Let me rephrase that so it is more specific...

I wonder how long it's going to take to start seeing more and more micro polishers that are battery operated like this. Hence it may help to drive competition and come in at a potentially lower price point in the future.
    A year from now, you'll wish you started today.

@utopiandetailing on Instagram.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkritsilas View Post
    All of that is true. However, from what I can see, the price is a barrier for most people who would want to buy one, but are not generating revenue/income from the iBrid. There has been a lot of engineering time and expense built into the unit because it is cordless. If Rupes were to keep the head assembly, and make a corded unit at a significantly lower cost, they could create a complete aftermarket for the unit.

Create a unit that is corded, that can use a somewhat less efficient (= cheaper) motor, which is not an issue as it will be corded, and perhaps make the handle smaller. They could do this a couple of ways: Straight wall power, or through some sort of locking power adapter/wall wart type power. Keep the rotary and 12 mm DA head attachment options, make the 3mm DA head optional. Un-bundle the rest of the parts that are in the kit. If that is done, and they can cut to cost to below $250, they would be able to create an aftermarket like the PC did. It would make the iBrid Jr. (for want of a better name) pretty much a standard part of any detailer's toolkit.

The other part, of course is the batteries. While professional detailers would use the current cordless iBrid pretty much all of the time, so the batteries would be used, and maintained constantly. However, the non-professional detailers would be using this far less often. This will lead to batteries failing pretty quickly, and while this may be an assumption, I don't thing that replacement batteries will not be cheap. This may even be a factor for professional detailers.There are many people who buy cordless drills for example, that use them only a few times a year, and the batteries fail within a year, I think far more batteries fail due to lack of use than do because of wearing out, and it applies to all battery types, including Lithium based ones.

Yes you are right in this aspect. I am sure that was thought during the planning stage for this device. I would love to know what Rupes reasons were to NOT make that an option. Honestly I think there would be little to no sales on the battery ones if the other was built.

1. Detailers are used to cords, they don't really bother us, so for the money, whether a business or for home use the corded model would be cheaper to use and less money spent in the long run
    2. The battery operated machine probably would not appeal to many people, if given an option. Home users might like it for the uniqueness of it, same for businesses, but replacement of batteries if needed might deter sales, plus the added expense.

I still feel the kit and zip box for it, will be nice to have. A tool and its pieces this small and a way to keep them all together I think is key. My PE-08 I have to sacrifice a drawer for all the pieces and pads. If I decide to keep that one, which I may not, I will buy another Rupes box to put that in. We will see.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Would be nice to have a cheaper cable only Nano as I don't need cordless. Also agree on selling the Nano as a polisher alone without pads,polish and bag. This could be an under $200 Nano and a win for all. Just add a rubberised head or rubber sleeve to protect the polisher from hitting the paint in tight areas. Saw the head hit the rim spoke on a video posted recently. Once again maybe I'm not normal and too OCD.

Post Thanks / Like

Cordless is huge once you've used a tool like this . It's held in 50 different angles/positions that either you could normally not achieve as successful with a cord in the way and or you having to work the work while managing the cord . I get that and I respect that. No need to ever think about -cord management-

What's the warranty on the batteries - on my phone typing - not looking it up.
    Battery life will make or break this tool I suppose .
    There are welll known brands that have the most unreliable battery life.

Since this is battery powered, IMO a good reliable lifespan out of the battery is another benchmark I suppose

Post Thanks / Like

Battery life will be dependant on how you take care of them. Not leaving them unchanged for extended periods, not left out in cold garage during winter months, etc. The new technology on battery packs is pretty amazing. No memory so you don't have to fully discharge and recharge.

I love the no cord aspect of this Nano. Once you run on battery and have that freedom, it's hard to go back to a cord.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast