autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't get rid of swirls

Hi guys. Been a member for a few years but don't post much.

Anyway, I just picked up a 2014,MB CLS550 w very low mileage (12k) in Diamond White paint. The car is in excellent condition with only very minor swirls, or so I thought. Today I began my detail which consists of the following:

Chemical guys citrus wash w foam cannon
    Megs Clay
    Speedy sponge
    washed again
    Dried w my echo leaf blower .

All good. Next I started to try to remove the swirls and here is where I am having problems. At this point I have done the entire car and am happy w the results except for the roof. It has some swirls I can't get rid of and would like to know your suggestions. Here's what I've done:

rupes 21 w yellow pad W fine gel polish. Didn't do much for my roof. I started w this product combo because I'm not sure if my paint is ceramic clear that some benz' have been know to have and I didn't want to be too aggressive w it. Didn't try this combo anywhere else.

Next, I tried rupes 21 w green pad and gloss medium gel and that didn't help much either. I even did 2 passes. Didn't try this combo anywhere else.

Next I tried rupes21 w green pad and Sonax Perfect finish and that made some difference but it isn't perfect and I can still see swirls on my roof from certain angles. I did the rest of the car w this product combo and it finished up very nicely. The only section bothering me is the roof. 99% of people wouldn't notice it or let it bother them but I would like to improve on it.

Anyway, once I get the roof figured out I plan on wiping down w panel wipe and then coating w OptiGloss coat. I also have Colonite 845 that I plan on to pping it w in a couple of days. Or I may use Opti-seal, not sure yet. I hear Colonite 845 finishes nice on white paint. I will also be applying the optigloss coat on the AMG rims.

Lastly, here are the other products I have that I can try on my roof. I'm trying to not get too aggressive.
    Porter cable 7424xp
    lake country pads in foam, various types
    Megs 105
    Megs 205
    megs 83
    Megs81

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't get rid of swirls

You might need to get more aggressive, if the paint dictates so.

Try a foam cutting pad with M105 on the PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DLC. This German paint is proving to be hard. I'm used to the paint on my Nissan and Honda's just letting me work my magic easily on them. I can def try that PC and M105 combo although I had hoped the rupes system green/green would have done the trick. I also noticed my rupes pads breaking down. Was disappointed in that too.
    2005 Nissan 350z (Polish Angel Viking-Coat)/2020 AMG GLC43 (Polish Angel Viking-Coat and Auto Gliss 2.0)/2012 Honda Odyssey TE (Jescar Power Lock)/2020 AMG C43 (CQuartz UK3.0 and Auto Gliss 2.0)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post

Anyway, once I get the roof figured out I plan on wiping down w panel wipe and then coating w OptiGloss coat. I also have Colonite 845 that I plan on to pping it w in a couple of days. Or I may use Opti-seal, not sure yet. I hear Colonite 845 finishes nice on white paint. I will also be applying the optigloss coat on the AMG rims.

Lastly, here are the other products I have that I can try on my roof. I'm trying to not get too aggressive.
    Porter cable 7424xp
    lake country pads in foam, various types
    Megs 105
    Megs 205
    megs 83
    Megs81

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Follow Gloss Coat with an application of opti-seal 1 hour after the last coat of gloss coat. This will protect gloss coat during that 7 day curing window. You can then top with collinite. Although gloss coat and opti-seal give white some great gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntwillie1 View Post
    Thanks DLC. This German paint is proving to be hard. I'm used to the paint on my Nissan and Honda's just letting me work my magic easily on them. I can def try that PC and M105 combo although I had hoped the rupes system green/green would have done the trick. I also noticed my rupes pads breaking down. Was disappointed in that too.
    Their green pad is fairly sensitive to non Rupes polishes. The only cutting pad I use on my Rupes, is their blue microfiber, with either Rupes Zephir, Meguiar's M100, or Ultimate Compound.

I used their blue foam in the past, but since I only ever used their microfiber on a regular basis, I sold them.

Those orange or yellow LC CCS, or flats, amd the Cyan Hydrotech and M105 should help.

Post Thanks / Like

Find out if it has ceramiclear.105 on a micro pad will erase those swirls followed by 205.0r 205 alone with a micro pad should clean things up.

Post Thanks / Like

Or menzerna ceramic clear polishes if recommended suggestions don't work.

Post Thanks / Like

Just leaving this hear. As a former MBZ owner, I can attest to this as one of the most valuable articles Mike has produced. It just might keep you from burning through the factory coating on it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...edes-benz.html
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Follow Gloss Coat with an application of opti-seal 1 hour after the last coat of gloss coat. This will protect gloss coat during that 7 day curing window. You can then top with collinite. Although gloss coat and opti-seal give white some great gloss.
    Thanks, I tried that and it does look nice and glossy. I have read so many different opinions about how long to wait before topping w opts-seal and what not, so I just did it anyway about an hour after I finished the opts-gloss. I will still use the Colonite next week after the opts-gloss is done curing. Figured it would be a good reason to wash her.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Find out if it has ceramiclear.105 on a micro pad will erase those swirls followed by 205.0r 205 alone with a micro pad should clean things up.
    My paint code doesn't have a C in it so I'm guessing it doesn't have the Ceramiclear. I tired the 105 followed by 205. Didn't make too much of an improvement on the roof but thats probably because I'm not using the best pad combo. I may just order a couple of MF pads but won't have time to try again till the spring. For now, my goal was to just get some winter protection on it because it will sit outside about half the time.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Or menzerna ceramic clear polishes if recommended suggestions don't work.
    Thanks. Unfortunately I don't own those products but I guess I can always throw them on my christmas wish list and use them in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Just leaving this hear. As a former MBZ owner, I can attest to this as one of the most valuable articles Mike has produced. It just might keep you from burning through the factory coating on it.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...edes-benz.html
    Thanks, I'd seen that before. Thats probably why I was afraid to work my paint too much, but the good thing is my car doesn't seem to have Ceramiclear.

For now, I will live with the swirls on the roof that aren't noticeable to most and attack them again in the spring.

Thanks everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car, mines a 2007 CLS550 also white (650U). With the Rupes I'd think a mf pad would be your best choice if you're really looking to remove all swirls. I've given up that ghost a long time ago because mines a daily driver. Keep chasing defects and you're bound to wear out the clear. I find my clear to be on the hard side. I use the 3401 with Lake Country Hydro-tech tangerine pads with M105 and or M205 depending on the defect., Also use the LC CCS pads. Yellow cutting pad, white polishing & black finishing. Colinite 845 is my go to wax just hard to beat.

I've done a few of these CLS550's and have yet to run across a Ceramiclear. The clears are none the less usually very hard. For what it's worth I usually make 4 and sometimes 6 passes, 2 isn't very many like I said the clear is hard.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast