autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question TA50 Sander/Polisher

I've been thinking of adding a mini polisher to my arsenal of tools. I am hobbyist so this will be strictly for personal use. Is Rupes's official stance still that the TA50 should only be used for sanding? I know people use it for polishing with good results; is there any potential issues with the TA50 used for polishing? I have a fairly strong air-compressor, but certainly not with the output of professional/commercial shop compressors. If it means I have to wait a few seconds for my air compressor to refill every few minutes, I can live with that since I am in no particular hurry. For you guys that have used the TA50 for polishing, would you recommend it for that purpose?

I'm also considering the Nano, but at 2X the cost of the TA50 I'm not sure the expense is worth it for strictly a hobbyist like me. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TA50 Sander/Polisher

I have not used it, but I think the main concern would be its high 15000 rpm.

If it works well with an inline regulator to dial it back to a safer range, that would make it better. Although a higher rpm may be needed to correct with a small diameter pad.

It is being offered with 3 2" pads right now, and I have heard of others using it to polish with.

Post Thanks / Like

The high rpm does concern me a bit. I've seen some youtube vids of people polishing with the 2" pads and getting excellent results. Not sure if they were using some kind of a regulator.

Mike Phillips

To your question...

As far as I know RUPES has not changed their stance or official recommendation for the TA50, that is it is designed for sanding and intended for sanding.

I did show it for use machine polishing in my RUPES how-to book but clearly stated the only reason I addressed this topic was because I know that detailers are going to use it in this manner.

It's not desiged for load bearing, that is pressing a buffing pad against the backing plate.

At this point in time, I'd recomend the RUPES iBrid Nano or even the Griot's 3" mini polisher with LC 3.5" Thinpro pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Thank you for your response. I have your Rupes book which AG included with my Mark II order and I did read the section on the TA50 (fabulous book btw). I wondered if Rupes had changed anything with regards to the TA50 since you wrote it.

The more I think about it I will probably take your advise and save a little longer for the Nano.

Post Thanks / Like

The TA50 is the tool its always been, so no changes from when Mike wrote his book. Of course we still designate the TA50 as a sander and thats what its designed to be, however there are plenty of people who deploy it as a polisher in specific situations. The LD30 is an even smaller tool (orbital, not random) and it shares the same designation as a sander, but this is a tool people use for polishing in some situations.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MTCarNut View Post

Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I have your Rupes book which AG included with my Mark II order and I did read the section on the TA50 (fabulous book btw).

Thank you, glad you liked the book. There's a lot of work i.e. thinking that goes into writing a book.

Everyone has an opinion, just get on Facebook for a few minutes.

Typing out your opinion and creating a book is a whole different ball game than posting a sentence or two on Facebook or a forum.

Pictures of just the INDEX here...

***NEW RUPES Paperback Book***

6 pages just for the index....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thank you, glad you liked the book. There's a lot of work i.e. thinking that goes into writing a book.

Everyone has an opinion, just get on Facebook for a few minutes.

Typing out your opinion and creating a book is a whole different ball game than posting a sentence or two on Facebook or a forum.

Pictures of just the INDEX here...

***NEW RUPES Paperback Book***

6 pages just for the index....

Mike,

I can only imagine the time, effort and dedication it takes to write a book like the Rupes book. I can tell you that I have read it cover to cover 2X so far and still refer to it constantly. I'm a hobbyist and before purchasing my Mark II had zero experience with Rupes or long throw polishers. Everything I learned about them came from your book. It gave me the confidence to polish out my Toyota Tundra with great results!

I also have your Flex book which I haven't read yet, but plan to very soon. I plan to get and read all of your books as the price is insignificant compared to all the knowledge gained. Thanks again, Ed