autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Rupes Micro Fiber pad fly off

Finally I had made a decision to go with Rupes microfiber pad with my MKII 15. Rushing out and brought a new blue and yellow microfiber pad yesterday. Today a new black Merc CLS coming in for coating and there is nothing better to try out these pad. After the first section pass, the result is phenomenal, very beautiful finish and superb cut, it out cut and out finish LC purple thin wool.

Then I start buffing the next section, and after just one pass the pad suddenly shake and then flying off backing plate, luckily I am using very light pressure and in control of machine or I will have a big scratch on this new CLS.

After that whatever I did the pad will continue flying off from my backing plate with speed 3-4, I test polishing with all my other Rupes foam pad and there is no flying off issue.

I move Rupes Microfiber pad to attached with Flex rotary buffer and it's stick on Flex backing plate like a super glue.

What should I do to this situation? My backing plate is clean, it have no issue on the foam just microfiber pad.

I am so in love with this pad and don't want to stop using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Rupes Micro Fiber pad fly off

Odd that the foam pads stick, but the MF doesn't. If it were both I'd hypothesize the plate had gotten heated and the hooks lost some structure.

In any event, happy to send you one of our blue backing plates with the higher grip velcro if you prefer, or a replacement gray plate as a warranty item.

Just shoot an email to dylanv@rupesusa.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dylan, thank you very much for your quick response, and I am very appreciate your support. But since I am not living in USA, I will try to contact my local dealer first. I did notice this issue since I first get opportunity to play with MKII prototype. That machine have all type of pads flying out. I did mention it to my local dealer but they don't see it as an issue, and thought that it's just dirty backing plate.

But now with my machine, which only 3 months old and buffing less than 4-5 cars, I think this is an issue. I notice that the backing plate have less holding power compare to my Duetto and Mini from the beginning though, just don't see it as a real problem until today.

Still, the result of this MF pad and Zephir is extraordinary for me, it cut Merc clear coat pretty easy and come close to a LSP ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Dylan, I met with my local dealer today, he see my backing plate as well as test it and admit that microfiber pad really not going to stick well with MKII backing plate and urge me to buy microfiber backing plate, which make me feel a bit uneasy that I buy a new MKII and rupes system and it's can't be work together. They will ask Marco for what happen.

Question, they are not sure whether the backing plate can be use with MKII or not as it is the original microfiber backing plate from 1st generation. Second will it balance well with MKII?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Valky View Post
    Dylan, I met with my local dealer today, he see my backing plate as well as test it and admit that microfiber pad really not going to stick well with MKII backing plate and urge me to buy microfiber backing plate, which make me feel a bit uneasy that I buy a new MKII and rupes system and it's can't be work together. They will ask Marco for what happen.

Question, they are not sure whether the backing plate can be use with MKII or not as it is the original microfiber backing plate from 1st generation. Second will it balance well with MKII?
    Both the ES (blue) and MKII (gray) backing plates attach to the microfiber hook and loop no problem. No need to feel uneasy other than you seem to have a unique circumstance. Did you try other RUPES microfiber pads?

As far as the microfiber backing plate, the biggest difference if I remember correctly, is in the weight to help balance the tool IF microfiber is going to be your primary pad of choice. If you are going to use both foam and microfiber, stick with the standard backing plates.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, MKII have come with grey backing plate, it's not my choice. We have test 4 new Rupes Microfiber pad today, 2 blues and 2 yellows, all of them can be push out from backing plate using only one little finger and no force. We also test it on another MKII and it's not sticking with that backing plate as well. Four new pads and two machines should be enough proof that the grey backing plate have something wrong (at least on my production batch).

I still waiting what my dealer can do for me.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Todd, I have a similar issue on my 21 MKII, the foam pads seem ok, nowhere near the grip on my 15 ES though. I tried the Rupes Blue MF just now on my 21 MKII and while its not flying off, the grip is barely there, can be removed from the grey backing plate with hardly any effort.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the mf pads were exposed to sun light, I mean excessive heat?. I have an issue with a yellow rupes pad, I use to wash it and then dry on the sun, and after 2 washes de velcro died.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I put all my Rupes pads through hell, mf and foam. Wash them after every use and never have issues with sticking to the backing plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Repeat it again, it's "new" Rupes microfiber pad that never touch anything with the 2 new Rupes "MKII 15" machine with grey backing plate that have problem. Those who use MK1 will never have problem as you using blue backing plate, those who use MKII machine with grey back will have less problem as the backing plate area are larger. I am very familiar with Rupes with never have problem on using them.

I just want to know as a Rupes lover what I am going to do. I buy an expensive machine, buy their expensive set of microfiber pads, all polishes and now I have to buy their expensive backing plate again?

PS. My local price of Rupes is about 20-40% more expensive than US.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast