autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?

Hey guys. Im sure it's been discussed, but I was wondering what pads you guys all prefer to use on your LHR Bigfoot 21?

I was exclusively using CG's pads on a Torq 10FX, but just converted to the Rupes machines.

I was looking at what pad system to go with, and I see that the obvious choice would be the Rupes Branded Blue, Green, Yellow, White 7" pads to go with the 6" backing plate.

However... their pads are insane expensive compared to say the Lake Country CCS or even Thin Pro's.

I know it "may increase vibration" ... but what are your thoughts on running different pads with this machine?

I already blew the budget out of the water on getting my machines, so when I go to re-stock on pads if I can cut some costs I really need to.

Also... (sorry to ramble on) .. how do you feel the Rupes Brand pads seem to hold up durability wise?

Twisted Auto Detail
    Oklahoma City, OK. Mobile Detailing for the OKC Metro Area. 702-538-1848
    www.facebook.com/TwistedAutoDetail

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever heard the saying "Don't go buy a Bentley, with Cadillac money"
    Well you already bought the Bentley. Lol. Now what kind of tires are you going to buy for it...
    Ideally, the Rupes MKll Polisher would be best suited with matching everything, pads + polishes etc. But if you're looking to remain open to using your choice of pads I can try to help you with a bit of info on the ones I've chosen to go with.

Btw, I don't own the Rupes, I have the Boss21. So keep that in mind.. I'll do my best to show you how a couple different pads compare up close.

This is a 6" LC HD Orbital Foam Pad. Notice the actual measurement of the face on this pad, it's 6.5"

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?-imageuploadedbyagonline1471011428-312033-jpg

Yet the backing/velcro is only 5 1/8th so it's a 6" pad made to fit the 5" backing plate. I happen to really like the fact that these pads are on the bigger side as opposed to smaller..

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?-imageuploadedbyagonline1471011523-349872-jpg

Now here's a Rupes 7" Pad. The face measures 6 7/8ths.

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?-imageuploadedbyagonline1471011659-358743-jpg

Backing/velcro measures 6 1/8th, to fit the 6" backing plate.

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?-imageuploadedbyagonline1471011724-767838-jpg

Here's the thickness of both pads side by side. They're both 1 1/8th thick, but the Rupes pad is about 1/16th thicker.

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?-imageuploadedbyagonline1471011896-687244-jpg

Here's the 6" LC HD Orbital up next to the 7" Rupes pad. They're almost the same size.

Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?-imageuploadedbyagonline1471011996-749475-jpg

Some people have said they've experienced short life from the Rupes pads [mainly the Blue and Green pads]. The LC HD pads don't get those sort of complaints. I've been very happy with them myself. They also run very smooth on the long stroke polisher.

Now getting back to you having bought the Bentley, I mean Rupes.. As you know by now, everything's expensive if you want to stick with its proper recommendations, even the optional 5" Rupes Backing Plate will set you back $44.99, and that's the sale price! [reg. $49.99]

Rupes pads are $12.99 each for 7" size.
    LC HD Orbital Pads are $13.99 each for 7"

Congratulations on your upgrade. You can run with the big dogs now. No one said it was going to be cheap. Lol.
    My advice is choose your pads wisely, but don't skimp just to save these last few bucks.. You're already in too deep.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Pads & Size on the BigFoot LHR 21 Mark II ?

Thats some great info right there my friend! Thank you a ton.

Im not new to polishing, just to these machines. I greatly appreciate it...

So with the 6" BP on my Rupes 21, would you recommend ordering the 7" LC HD Pads, or the 6" pads?

It seems as though either Rupes pads are undersized, or the LC pads are oversized. LOL.
    Twisted Auto Detail
    Oklahoma City, OK. Mobile Detailing for the OKC Metro Area. 702-538-1848
    www.facebook.com/TwistedAutoDetail

Post Thanks / Like

Get some Rupes pads for both your Rupes machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Congratulations on your upgrade. You can run with the big dogs now. No one said it was going to be cheap. Lol.
    My advice is choose your pads wisely, but don't skimp just to save these last few bucks.. You're already in too deep.
    So, so true. It still stings though.

I want to buy a Flex PE-8. All you get is the polisher. I started shopping to put the needed item in my cart (1", 2", 3" backing plates, pads for each size and you know you can't buy just 1 pad for each size) and the price is almost 150 bucks. Oh yeah and the polisher in not in the cart yet. I wonder am I better of buying a ibrid nano. At least it comes with everything.

Sheeesh.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedAutoDetail View Post

So with the 6" BP on my Rupes 21, would you recommend ordering the 7" LC HD Pads, or the 6" pads?

It seems as though either Rupes pads are undersized, or the LC pads are oversized. LOL.
    Yea that's the thing... Personally I currently want the biggest pads I can have, but I've yet to pull the trigger on a good set of 7" LC Orbitals because I currently have enough pads, so it's more of a want than a need right now. [not to mention a good set isn't going to be cheap!] lol.

So for the time being, I like the fact that these current 6" LC pads are about as big as the 7" Rupes pads. I can only imagine how much bigger the 7" LC pads are going to be.

That 2nd Rupes polisher you bought is made to run 4" pads? If so, I would stick to the 6" backing plate your Rupes 21 came with and equip it with 7" pads.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I'm sure Rupes owners will be able to post their thoughts based on their experience with the polisher.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i bought the mark II 15 it is great i would stick with the pads. its all 1 system for a reason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    So, so true. It still stings though.

I want to buy a Flex PE-8. All you get is the polisher. I started shopping to put the needed item in my cart (1", 2", 3" backing plates, pads for each size and you know you can't buy just 1 pad for each size) and the price is almost 150 bucks. Oh yeah and the polisher in not in the cart yet. I wonder am I better of buying a ibrid nano. At least it comes with everything.

Sheeesh.
    They sell a Flex PE8 starter kit that includes 3 BPs and a ton of pads. Just FYI:
    FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher Complete Starter Kit
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedAutoDetail View Post

I know it "may increase vibration" ... but what are your thoughts on running different pads with this machine?

I already blew the budget out of the water on getting my machines, so when I go to re-stock on pads if I can cut some costs I really need to.

This topic comes up often enough, usually it's about using the RUPES polishers with non RUPES pads AND non RUPES products and my recommendation follows along the line of the title of my RUPES how-to book,

Note the title isn't how to use the RUPES polishers... It's how to use the RUPES Paint Polishing System

That is, RUPES is a system, not a tool. If you decide to go RUPES then go big and get the entire system.

Why?

Because the system works. That's a fact. Once you become an expert with their system then start experimenting with non RUPES pads and products and then IF you have success more power to you. If however you run into problems, you know how to recover and that's to get back to the system.

My 2 cents for what it's worth...

Congrats on the new tool.

Mike Phillips

The below isn't so much for the OP but for everyone that will read this into the future...

The Air Test - Using NON RUPES pads on RUPES Polishers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast