autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes mark ii 15 stalling badly

i paid $400 for a polisher that stalls with zero pressure on a flat panel using Rupes polish and pads. If you keep the machine within 2-3 degrees axis of rotation it will keep spinning but otherwise it just stalls and that is with washer mod.
    I love how little vibration it has but is it because at least 50% of the the time it is not rotating.
    Im sure if more people that own these were to put marks on their backing plate this would become a huge issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes mark ii 15 stalling badly

I have to ask, are you using enough product? What speed are you using?
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Typically if the machine is stalling on you its due to they way the user is holding it. The long throw polishers have to remain flat at all times, if you have pressure more to one side or the other it can stall. The complex curves are always a problem area for the long throw machines but once you get used to the machine you will learn how to make it keep working. I am in no way stating you are wrong to be frustrated but there is a learning curve on the long throw machines. Keep playing around with different techniques and you will find one that works well for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a G15 and although it works great on flat panels I can't keep it turning on the least curve. I have the washer mod also. Between my '15 Yukon and Sierra there isn't much flat surface. I finally just put it up with maybe 8-10hrs on it. I have two GG6's and they get me buy with awesome results. I guess I just don't have the long throw hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Give it time. Those machines have a bit of a learning curve. I don't use the washer, and can usually keep it spinning just fine.

I remember having to experiment with angles, especially on sides, contours, and curves. I would also try an position myself in a manner where I could observe the pad contacting the paint.

One you get it down, you'll be good.

Also remember that the throw will do some work on it's own as well, even if your rotation has slowed or stalled.

I had to go back to my PC the first few jobs I tried to use it on.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that you can't aquire the technique though. I was a novice to long throw like everyone was since its a newer technology than the typical da of old. It is like anything in life without hours of practice we can not perfect a skill. Paint correction is a art form to me in many ways. I found not using the entire pad on a complex curve can help the pad stay rotating well. I would not reccomend doing it with a fresh amount of polish for obvious reasons. Do not give up on it keep playing with it, buy a junkyard hood or side panel and go to town. That way if you destroy it who cares it wasn't much cash to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a 3401, end of stalling problems.

Post Thanks / Like

There could be a few things going on here the way I see it:

1. The machine is defective. Possible, but not likely. Or, possibly the BP somehow became bent or warped during shipping.

2. The OP needs more seat time with the machine to get used to it. I hate to say "user error", because it's prolly going to just irritate the OP (and I do not know his level of experience with these machines)...

But, I have owned to original 15 and the MKII 15. I can use the MKII on virtually any convex or concave surface with a variety of polishes on speed 5 without stalling and no washer mod. But there is a slight period of just getting used to how to hold them machine. And yes, my BP is marked and I am getting rotation.

3. The machine needs to break in a bit. I noticed both my machines spun better after a few uses.

4. Something funky is going on with the OPs power supply to the machine. Maybe the extension cord is damaged or not the right gauge. Or, maybe it's like 200 feet long. Dunno. If not enough "power" is supplied - the machine could feel weak.

5. Too much or not enough polish is being used.

Just some possibilities of what is going on from someone who owns this machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AbileneAutoWerx View Post
    I have two GG6's and they get me buy with awesome results. I guess I just don't have the long throw hand.
    smart man to have two GG6's, one can serve as a back-up if needed. the little sucker has some torque and is harder to bog down/stall than the other traditional/free floating spindle DA types...

10. Likes O.C.Detailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest learning on a polish where you prime the pad ie: 205

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast