autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

The RUPES iBrid in ACTION! - Thin panels and tight areas!

The RUPES iBrid in ACTION! - Thin panels and tight areas!

See the full write-up for this water spot removal class here,

1955 Chevy Bel Air with a $15,000.00 Custom Paint Job - How to remove water spots

Time for some precision surgical polishing using RUPES Nano iBrid shot neck and the RUPES TA50

Here's Robert working the posts with the RUPES Nano iBrid short neck

The 2" RUPES coarse blue foam cutting pad with the McKee's 37 Fast Compound worked great for removing water spots in the tight areas.

The front valance or splash apron between the front bumper and the grill was dull, as though it had NEVER been polished after the paint job. So Robert and Jay tackled it using the Nano iBrid and the TA50 with these new pads Nick gave me to test out.

This is Frank testing out the Nano iBrid

On Autogeek.com

Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Short Neck Kit

Rupes Bigfoot Nano iBrid Long Neck Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RUPES iBrid in ACTION! - Thin panels and tight areas!

Great shots. Well done.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome tool!

Post Thanks / Like

It is amazing with plenty of power as well.Getting one next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Wanting to order both versions of this tool, I simply could wait no longer. I ordered the short neck Saturday. Am psyched about getting some 1 1/4" pads. Got my own narrow panels to tackle.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok Mike I'm going to put you on the spot. Rupes Nano vs. Flex pe-8. $400 difference?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am not Mike, I thought I'd give my opinion anyway. I've had the PE-8 for a while, and got the Bigfoot iBrid Nano a few weeks ago. Having used both side by side, I would say that if you didn't have the PE-8, the Nano would be ok since it will do both rotary and DA in one tool. There are caveats to this, particularly the amount of time it takes to switch out the rotary bit for the counterweighted DA bit. If you have a PE-8, I'd say you'll find the iBrid to be an incremental upgrade, at best, and it may not even be worth using the DA part on small surfaces when the PE-8 is a lightweight, easy to use machine, with slightly better ergonomics (in my opinion). I was probably too excited when I bought my iBrid, and have since felt it was a bit overhyped. There isn't much you can't do with the PE-8, and you can get the entire kit with pads for a fraction of the cost of the nano kit. Also, you can use an extension post with the PE-8 to make it way easier to get into weird nooks and crannies.

The iBrid is a nice tool to have, but if you already have a mini, and a PE-8, the Bigfoot iBrid Nano MAY not be worth it. Since I don't detail professionally, I likely would have purchased it anyway just to have it and try out a new toy, but if you're looking to buy it to save you time by making it easier to get to small areas, or to improve your workflow, consider the PE-8 as a lower-cost alternative. If you must have the latest, and likely not the greatest, the Bigfoot is an expensive tool, and you'll use it as often as you make yourself use it.

Notes: The Nano is a well built tool, has decent(ish) ergonomics, the kit comes with a lot of stuff and the whole thing is packaged nicely. Once the system price drops by ~$150 bucks, I think it will be a great buy. The ability to polish without a cord is nice but, honestly, swapping batteries every 20 to 30 minutes can be annoying, and the cord isn't particularly obtrusive, so I use it corded most of the time. I like the Nano, but it's just not the ultimate detailing tool. Things I would do for a future revision:

Ability to lock the tool "on"
    Longer battery run time, even at the expense of more weight
    Lower price point
    Full selection of pads with system, not just the blue and yellow
    Modular cord kit that would work with other Rupes polishers. In other words, have one cord for all your Rupes polishers, and be able to simply plug it into whichever device you're using. Easier to store, less cords running everyone, easier to switch machines.
    Future battery system that would be interchangeable with all Rupes polishers, a la Dewalt, Ryobi, etc.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, now that I think about it, I'm going to see if I can mod all of my polishers with something like a neutrik locking connector so I can use one cord for all of my polishers, regardless of brand.

Mike Phillips

Good summary post from someone with both tools...

Excellent suggestions....

Quote Originally Posted by 991 TTS View Post

Ability to lock the tool "on"
    Longer battery run time, even at the expense of more weight
    Lower price point
    Full selection of pads with system, not just the blue and yellow
    Modular cord kit that would work with other Rupes polishers. In other words, have one cord for all your Rupes polishers, and be able to simply plug it into whichever device you're using. Easier to store, less cords running everyone, easier to switch machines.
    Future battery system that would be interchangeable with all Rupes polishers, a la Dewalt, Ryobi, etc.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Ok Mike I'm going to put you on the spot.

Rupes Nano vs. Flex pe-8. $400 difference?
    I think they both have their strengths and their weaknesses as they are such different tools.

The oscillating action and small buffing pads make the iBrid perfect for the perfectionist detailer. I remember that before we had the iBrid most of the times you could knock out thin panels and hard to reach areas by hand.

One of the things I teach at my 3-day classes uses these three words, anyone that's attended my 3-day class knows what I'm talking about,

Big Picture Detailing

The Flex PE8 on the other hand is a hard working compact rotary buffer. Completely different than the dainty iBrid.

Both tools are what I would call want to have tools, not must have tools. For anyone starting out I'd suggest starting with the basics of a good dual action polisher. Get great at big picture detailing and then hone your skills and become great at surgical precision detailing.

Good question...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast