autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The RUPES iBrid in ACTION! - Thin panels and tight areas!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I remember that before we had the iBrid most of the times you could knock out thin panels and hard to reach areas by hand.
    People forget that is still an option. Honestly, for people just getting into detail with no prior experience, DON'T RUSH TO GET A MACHINE. Learn how much work or how little work goes into removing swirls and scratches by hand. This will be an eye opening experience in showing how easy it is to correct light swirls in the paint. Many people probably jump into detailing, throw their newly bought machine on max speed, with an aggressive pad, and never get to realize that you could have gotten the same results with a much less aggressive method. Testing a few spots by hand allows you to see how hard the paint is, and helps those that have been enjoying this hobby as long as I have, appreciate how much machines help us work more quickly.

I'm not THAT old, but perhaps I'm dating myself a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Prior to AGO, Mike, and all the members it puzzled me as to how to polished narrow and tight areas. I started out with a rotary and 8" 3m pads. Then progressed on to 5.5" pads on both rotary and Rupes Mark II. Now I have 1" & 2" pads from Flex with my rotary. The ability to "surgically" polish is so rewarding. I have wanted a Nano since I first read about them on AGO. Price point is prohibiting me from getting one.

It is awesome to see the areas that can be polished with ease on the beautiful Chevy with the Nano. I think a motivated detailer could pay for his Nano in one afternoon by doing some very selective demos with said Rupes Nano. Someone suggested it on AGO awhile back, doing small demos using the Nano. This tool would be so easy to carry with you and give demos of the detailer's is paint correcting abilities. Think Kirby/encyclopedia salesmen meets detailer. "That's gold Jerry, gold"

Post Thanks / Like

I have used it quite a few times and so far very impressed. The blue pads and coarse compound ruin the pads with the rotary tool (you also cannot avoid sling. I have tried various speeds and applying minute drops of product to no avail. At first I thought it was because the surface was not flat and therefore the problem. Not so as I did the barrels of my wheels and still lots. Only switching to the orbital tool worked. These were with the 1" pads (2" even worse, but with the rotary yoi are not supposed to use the 2"). Anyone had a fix or similar experience?
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It seems as if once you have the PE-8, you are all set because you can adjust speeds and fine tune your work. I'm sure the iBrid is a great tool but it's so expensive.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I have used it quite a few times and so far very impressed. The blue pads and coarse compound ruin the pads with the rotary tool (you also cannot avoid sling. I have tried various speeds and applying minute drops of product to no avail. At first I thought it was because the surface was not flat and therefore the problem. Not so as I did the barrels of my wheels and still lots. Only switching to the orbital tool worked. These were with the 1" pads (2" even worse, but with the rotary yoi are not supposed to use the 2"). Anyone had a fix or similar experience?
    sling is a promblem.using the blue pad with one little drop of polish,and you can be dry buffing causing marring.I love the tool but to much fumbling switch da to rotary.nice tool overall though.

Newbie Member HARDCORE DETAILING's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats the longest extention for the flex p-8,and where can i buy them.

Post Thanks / Like

Great insight. My deal is I can see how the nano could get in smaller tight areas and be a more AIO tool. I feel like if I got the PE-8 I would come across a detail job where I said, if I only bought the nano I wouldn't be doing this by hand right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for v2 or v3 I learned my lesson with Rupes..

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HARDCORE DETAILING View Post

Whats the longest extention for the flex p-8,and where can i buy them.

Autogeek.com is the largest online supplies of car detailing supplies in the world. Some people don't know this so just pointing it out.

Thus you can get them here at Autogeek...

great.

On Autogeek.com

Lake Country Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

Optimum Double-Sided Pad Rotary Buffer Adapter

Both brands and styles work the same. As for how many can you use at one time? I guess that depends on how good you are at using, holding and controlling a rotary buffer. I'd say 2-3 extensions should be about the most a person would ever need to tackle most tight spaces.

Here's an article I wrote about 3 years ago showing THREE extensions in action...

How to buff in tight spaces using a rotary buffer

For doing correction work in tight areas and on thin panels I use the Flex PE14 with a small pad. I call this surgical or precision buffing. To do this you need,

1. Lightweight, compact rotary buffer
    2. Rotary Buffer Backing Plate Extension(s)
    3. Small backing plates
    4. Small buffing pads, both foam and fiber

Here's an example on the Lotus Esprit I recently buffed out. I used these pictures for my class at Mobile Tech Expo, "How to use the rotary buffer".

Surgical or Precision Buffing
    I could have done this type of precision buffing using a FULL SIZE DeWALT, or Makita or 3M or Milwaukee Rotary Buffer but it's the compact size, that is no bulky body in the way of my view or in the way of body components, plus the lightweight plus the slow RPM that makes the Flex PE14 the perfect tool for this type of work.

1. You want power?
    2. You want ease of use?
    3. You want to buff out thin panels or get into tight areas to do correction and polishing work?

The Flex PE14 and small pads, backing plates and an extension or two and you're good to go...

Mike Phillips

Here's a project Todd Helme and I knocked out together, Todd is using 3 extensions...

Diamond Plate Aluminum from Dullsville to Mirror Shine on a 1947 Chevy Pickup

Dullsville

Mirror Shine

Just realized Todd hosted all those pictures on Photobucket... I better download them and then upload them here before like so many pictures hosted on Photobucket they turn into red x's or this...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast