autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Differences between Rupes Nano Long Neck and Short Neck?

I went with long neck for vents like this

and door frames

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the short neck because it was on sale, but my thoughts are the long neck will get in spots the short neck will not but not vice versa.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

For those of you that have them, what are your thoughts after using them?
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the short neck. Very easy to use so far and control is an issue with the rotary tool. Using the blue pad it tends to try to migrate even at speed 1. Two hands to keep on course. Long neck would be even harder.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update on the Nano. I'm still riding the fence whether to get the long neck or the short neck. I might just go with the short neck for better maneuverability.

Post Thanks / Like

A update on the post - I went with the long neck eventually. Some pictures of my new toy,

I like to keep things organised so all batteries is labelled.

i drew a small marking to help me quickly align the battery to the tools. I am a lazy person so I tend to do things that makes my job easier.

I like to keep this tool close to me so that I can easily reach out to it to remove heavier defects after a standard polishing cycle. The portability and weight of this tool makes this possible.

Tools in action..

Having use the nano for a month plus now, rotary feature is currently one of my favorite. You get so much more control compared to attaching a 1 inch backing plate on a heavier rotary. Having use a good number of battery power tool, I find the Nano battery life pretty impressive.

Some not so good points- the trigger imo need a locking mechanism. Without this feature, I am basically force to hold the tool in a certain way. There was once I need to buff along the car roof which had a rack on, and with the rack in the way, I had to maneuver parallel to the rack and it was really a difficult position to keep the trigger engage. In addition, the body where we grip the tool tend to get warm so locking mechanism also allow us to change position as it gets warm. The orbital works well on flat area but 12mm orbit is tough to keep it spinning on tight curves even with little pressure. 3mm orbit lack quite abit of torque too.

Having said that, overall no regrets for this tool. If I am given a second chance, i will definitely buy it again. It has provided me with value that no other tools did- portable, lightweight, surgical buffing etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a thick o-ring can be used as a trigger lock, roll it up to hold the trigger down, and roll it down to release... anyone get what I am saying?

I don't have a nano to test this myself, but if anyone wants to send me one.... :P

It's high on my list right now, not higher than a ptg, but near that high.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only doing my own car and so far no issues. I really use rotary too mostly. You can only use it with the 1 inch pads but no problems (I did try with the 2 " and sling city). As far as the trigger lock my technique puts the switch in my palm which Rupes intended. Precision polishing requires precision techniques.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12