autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Over heating Rupes Pads

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    ^^ correct - the hottest point in any machine|plate|pad|surface sandwich is the engagement point between the hook of the backing plate and the loop of the pad. Choose a combo that produces sloppy engagement and you have millions of little friction points that are each individually generating heat with every little movement. This has been a vastly overlooked area for detailers because prior to long stroke + high power tools there wasn't enough movement and power there to produce sufficient friction. Its basically a case of how pushing the envelop of polishing capabilities has started to show weaknesses in products that wouldn't have seen them previously.

As far as I'm aware (or have experienced) those polishes haven't produced any issues with our pads. The thing to avoid is products with high solvent content - polishes high in solvents or solvent based pad cleaners will deteriorate the open cell structure of our foams and cause them to fray.

On one last note - one technique issue I've noticed with many people at demos all around the country is pressure. Some people still very much employ the heavy downward pressure associated with the use of something like a PC with the BigFoot tools - this is absolutely going to kill your pads. The weight of the tool only. Your top hand is there only to steer the polish on the surface and maintain flat contact with the surface being worked on. When you begin to apply heavy pressure the tool is going to power thru your efforts and take all that happens is abuse of the pad. The stresses of a 15 or 21mm movement on foam when pressed hard against a surface means you have one surface (the paint) trying to stop the pad face and another (the backing plate) trying to keep it moving. This twisting/torquing movement is going to cause the individual cells of the foam to rub against each-other and create a ton of internal heat in the pad.

Not saying that necessarily that the OP is applying heavy pressure, but observing so many people and correcting this part of their technique with the tools all over the US shows that there are many who do and it could potentially be another source of problems with the process.
    awesome thank you i have gotten a lot of awesome feed back on this issue and am very excited to take everything a put it to use, i really appreciate all the help and will continue to try m105/m205 as i have 2 full bottles haha. i also have rupes polishes that are untouched and came with my kit. will be trying them as well!
    Taylor Shaffer
    Diamond Auto Spa

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    ^^ correct - the hottest point in any machine|plate|pad|surface sandwich is the engagement point between the hook of the backing plate and the loop of the pad. Choose a combo that produces sloppy engagement and you have millions of little friction points that are each individually generating heat with every little movement. This has been a vastly overlooked area for detailers because prior to long stroke + high power tools there wasn't enough movement and power there to produce sufficient friction. Its basically a case of how pushing the envelop of polishing capabilities has started to show weaknesses in products that wouldn't have seen them previously.

As far as I'm aware (or have experienced) those polishes haven't produced any issues with our pads. The thing to avoid is products with high solvent content - polishes high in solvents or solvent based pad cleaners will deteriorate the open cell structure of our foams and cause them to fray.

On one last note - one technique issue I've noticed with many people at demos all around the country is pressure. Some people still very much employ the heavy downward pressure associated with the use of something like a PC with the BigFoot tools - this is absolutely going to kill your pads. The weight of the tool only. Your top hand is there only to steer the polish on the surface and maintain flat contact with the surface being worked on. When you begin to apply heavy pressure the tool is going to power thru your efforts and take all that happens is abuse of the pad. The stresses of a 15 or 21mm movement on foam when pressed hard against a surface means you have one surface (the paint) trying to stop the pad face and another (the backing plate) trying to keep it moving. This twisting/torquing movement is going to cause the individual cells of the foam to rub against each-other and create a ton of internal heat in the pad.

Not saying that necessarily that the OP is applying heavy pressure, but observing so many people and correcting this part of their technique with the tools all over the US shows that there are many who do and it could potentially be another source of problems with the process.
    This issue surrounding pressure seems to be the culprit behind many problems using the tool/system.

One of the most difficult things for people to wrap their heads around is not needing pressure. Just seems to be the instinct.

I had someone come over to test the Duetto, and the poor guy immediately put a ton of pressure on the head of the machine... Enough to compress the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    This issue surrounding pressure seems to be the culprit behind many problems using the tool/system.

One of the most difficult things for people to wrap their heads around is not needing pressure. Just seems to be the instinct.

I had someone come over to test the Duetto, and the poor guy immediately put a ton of pressure on the head of the machine... Enough to compress the pad.
    WOW!! just finished a cut (polishing tomorrow) on a jeep srt8 using the proper technique i now know, and no problems what so ever i am so happy, speed and pressure were the culprit's. i guess coming from a rotary presure was second nature for cutting and i didn't even know it. and slowed the speed down to 4, same results with no issues. So better results in the end so happy thank you!!
    Taylor Shaffer
    Diamond Auto Spa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123