autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid in Rotary Mode

RUPES 2" Backing Plate and 2" Pads not for use in Nano iBrid in Rotary Mode

After reading through the instruction manual I could find little information about the RUPES Nano iBrid its accessories or directions on how to use it with its various accessories. There are no statements or warnings about using the 2" backing plate and 2" buffing pads on the Nano iBrid in the included documentation.

Since I couldn't find any information available on the RUPES website or in the iBrid instruction manual, being a car guy and a detailer, AFTER testing the iBrid out with the 1 1/4" pads with both the 3mm orbit connector and the 12mm orbit connector, I decided to test it out with the 2" pads.

I installed the rotary backing plate connector to the Nano iBrid and then when I installed the 2" backing plate to the rotary backing plate connector after tightening it down till it was snug the backing plate was in contact with the shroud and the backing plate would not rotate.

I figured something is wrong with this picture so I spoke with Todd Helme about this and he brought me up to speed. Here's what Todd told me, this is a paraphrase from our phone call conversation...

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme

"The 2" backing plate and 2" pads are for use with the 12mm and 3mm Eccentric Sets only.

The 2" backing plate and 2" pads are NOT for use with the Nano iBrid as the RPM is too high and the risk of damaging paint is to high.

Only use the 1 1/4" backing plate and pads with the rotary backing plate connector and the Nano iBrid"

Thank you Todd for the information and clarification. Anytime a new tool is introduced to the market there's a normal period of time of questions and answers.

So just a heads up...

If you were wondering about this topic or if you know someone that purchased this tool, share this info with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Thanks for clearing that up Mike!
    I've been using my ibrid longneck all day on a Harley motorcycle and and really enjoying the 12mm orbit!
    Correction level is great and very surprised at how long I can get from a battery charge
    Robert DiTerlizzi, 772-260-6636
    Impressions Fine Automotive Detailing
    7656 SW Jack James Dr.Stuart, Fl.

Mike Phillips

Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Quote Originally Posted by Impressions View Post

Thanks for clearing that up Mike!

I've been using my ibrid longneck all day on a Harley motorcycle and and really enjoying the 12mm orbit!

Correction level is great and very surprised at how long I can get from a battery charge

The tool worked great with the 1 1/4" pad using the 12mm and 3mm eccentric sets. I have some pictures to show the iBrid in action that I'll post when I can get to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    The tool worked great with the 1 1/4" pad using the 12mm and 3mm eccentric sets. I have some pictures to show the iBrid in action that I'll post when I can get to it.
    Just to clarify, Mike it's the 2" pads in rotary mode that are not to be used, correct? Because I tried the tool in 12mm DA mode with a 2" pad, as did others, as handed to us by the Rupes rep. We were told that the 3mm DA mode is primarily intended for sanding.

Post Thanks / Like

This is correct - you can use the 34 and the 50mm plate with either of the eccentric sets, as well as the PSA backing pad for sanding.

The only combination that is not recommended is the 50mm plate with the 70mm pad on the rotary mode.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post

The only combination that is not recommended is the 50mm plate with the 70mm pad on the rotary mode.

Thanks for chiming in Dylan.

There you go folks... Dylan has just validated the statments from Todd.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    This is correct - you can use the 34 and the 50mm plate with either of the eccentric sets, as well as the PSA backing pad for sanding.

Sorry, not to muddy this further...but Mike is saying 2" backing plate and you are saying 50mm plate and 70mm pad. 70mm is almost 3"...is that how big the big pads are? They don't look that big. Or are they really 50mm at the Velcro and 70mm at the foam end?

Post Thanks / Like

maybe there should be a link or file to download for this new info in the event someone purchases these and does not come across this info

Post Thanks / Like

I find it always best to reference the metric measurement. Not only is it more precise, but its the unit of measure used in design and manufacturing as well, but I digress.

The backing plate is just under 2" (50mm = 1.9685") which mates up exactly with the back of the pad (50mm) and flares out to 70mm at the face (a little over 2.75+")

The smaller plate is 30mm with pads that are flared out to 40mm

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize any of the 3 BP worked with the green adapter except for the 2 brushes
    But mines sent back on it way for exchange

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast