autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Well I finally got my polisher and I have to say I was wrong on the power issue as well as the "Big brother protecting me" issue. This baby spins at 2000-5000 RPM according to the spec sheet. You can imagine the heat generated by using a coarse Blue pad (they are very coarse) spinning on a small patch at 5000 RPM. To test I put my hand under a dry pad and let're rip. The bandages come off next week (just kidding).

It got real hot real fast.

I would not have tested this before hand had I not read this post, so kudos to Mike for starting it. I also use no more than speed 3 with the rotary tool with 1" pad, just to be sure don't "burn through" the paint.

The small pad with the rotary tool is perfect for getting close to edges or on uneven surfaces. I used it on the underside of my trunk (great place to test products as the paint is "virgin", the original color and not visible if you make a boo boo.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Mike Phillips

Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

Well I finally got my polisher and I have to say I was wrong on the power issue as well as the "Big brother protecting me" issue. This baby spins at 2000-5000 RPM according to the spec sheet.

You can imagine the heat generated by using a coarse Blue pad (they are very coarse) spinning on a small patch at 5000 RPM. To test I put my hand under a dry pad and let're rip. The bandages come off next week (just kidding).

It got real hot real fast.

I would not have tested this before hand had I not read this post, so kudos to Mike for starting it.

Just looking out for my forum buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post

I also use no more than speed 3 with the rotary tool with 1" pad, just to be sure don't "burn through" the paint.

As long as the tool maintains pad rotation under load you're good to go. High speed is not necessary as it creates a risk. Low speed plus time is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Todd@Rupes
    Dylan@rupes , do you guys plan to make a rubber boot for
    the neck/head by chance?

Post Thanks / Like

Learned this the hard way by the backing plate clamping down. It was difficult to remove. But I had a corvette with terrible scuffs on the plastic parts near the kickplate,so I jimmy rigged it so the 2" pad would freely spin on the plastic. After trying 3 other ways of getting the scuffs out, I went speed 4-5 with the Nano in rotary mode and bam. Cleaned the plastic down to perfection. I did do a test spot underneath the dash to make sure of no issues. Not really sure how I ever lived without this tool. It's simply amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Todd@Rupes
    the neck/head by chance?
    Thats a great suggestion I could see the metal bumping into something by accident, but imo I think that metal part really blings out the polisher =)

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I found this post. Got my iBrid last week and finally used it today. I attached the 2" plate to the rotary connector and after a few minutes the unit stopped working. Swapped batteries, even sued A/C adapter, still no go.
    Then off to the videos I went, trying to figure out ###. Found this video and all is well now, unit is bqack up and running. Would be nice if Rupes would provide and ACTUAL instruction manual, especially when we're paying $600.
    Once again Mike, thank you for some valuable information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nynewyawk View Post
    Glad I found this post. Got my iBrid last week and finally used it today. I attached the 2" plate to the rotary connector and after a few minutes the unit stopped working. Swapped batteries, even sued A/C adapter, still no go.
    Then off to the videos I went, trying to figure out ###. Found this video and all is well now, unit is bqack up and running. Would be nice if Rupes would provide and ACTUAL instruction manual, especially when we're paying $600.
    Once again Mike, thank you for some valuable information.
    What did you do to get it working again? The Rupes manual shows not to use the 2" plate with the rotary fitting. At least mine came with instructions regarding that issue.

Gotta love AutoGeek, seriously whenever I purchase products here I know that my chemicals are fresh, I tried purchasing elsewhere and it felt like the chemicals were old and sitting on shelves. For that reason I never make the same mistake again. Oh and if you get the gift certificates, you can use them to purchase the Rupes and buy them at bargain pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

If you remove the plastic shroud around the head of the unit, you can then use the 2" plate in rotary mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for heads up! I probably would have cut or removed the shroud so the 2" would fit if I had not seen this post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Todd@Rupes
    the neck/head by chance?
    Yeah,X2 on this

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123