autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    I find it always best to reference the metric measurement. Not only is it more precise, but its the unit of measure used in design and manufacturing as well, but I digress.

The backing plate is just under 2" (50mm = 1.9685") which mates up exactly with the back of the pad (50mm) and flares out to 70mm at the face (a little over 2.75+")

The smaller plate is 30mm with pads that are flared out to 40mm
    Metric is fine for me, I simply get confused because all (I think) of your pads have that pronounced taper which means the backing plate is a significantly different size than the business end of the pad. So I was just uncertain what the actual size of that larger pad was; that's interesting that it does approach the size of the Griot's Garage 3" pad.

Thank you for clarifying that. What was the name of the gentleman from your company who was the Nano "handler" at Phil's?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Metric is fine for me, I simply get confused because all (I think) of your pads have that pronounced taper which means the backing plate is a significantly different size than the business end of the pad. So I was just uncertain what the actual size of that larger pad was; that's interesting that it does approach the size of the Griot's Garage 3" pad.

Thank you for clarifying that. What was the name of the gentleman from your company who was the Nano "handler" at Phil's?
    Jason?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mamut View Post
    Jason?
    No, there was a 3rd gentleman from Rupes at that event, besides Jason and Dylan, who wasn't "famous" like them

And no, it wasn't Todd, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike.

I think you found yourself another book to write. A supplemental book on the nano to go along with the Rupes book.

Post Thanks / Like

and thats why ill be going back to the competition ready detailing class... cant wait to use this new ibrid thank you dylan and todd and mike

Post Thanks / Like

Well that just doesn't make sense. There is a speed dial and a trigger so why is "Rupes" protecting me from damaging my stuff. Only reason I can see is machine not strong enough for 2" in Rotorary mode (what a false).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    No, there was a 3rd gentleman from Rupes at that event, besides Jason and Dylan, who wasn't "famous" like them

And no, it wasn't Todd, either.
    Likely was Jermey Harding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    Well that just doesn't make sense. There is a speed dial and a trigger so why is "Rupes" protecting me from damaging my stuff. Only reason I can see is machine not strong enough for 2" in Rotorary mode (what a false).
    There are other factors to consider, but first you have to think in terms of scale. The inertia of that 70mm pad humming along in rotary mode is pretty high (in scale) - in rotary mode obviously you are in direct drive. Motor spins, pad spins; but it works both ways - pad spins, motor spins. Introduction of that much inertia (again in scale for the size of the tool) is going to carry the pad rotation beyond when the trigger is released - long term this is bad for the motor and all the linkage that goes to it. The direction of the thread can also be considered. The rotation coming to a stop could, with enough force from the pad, could begin to un-thread the adapter or the plate from the tool.

There are a host of reasons you shouldn't run the 70mm pads in rotary these are some others to consider that also don't matter if you keep the pad in contact with the surface, but as a tool manufacturer you have to (unfortunately) also consider how people will MISuse things and protect against those scenarios as well. Afterall, everyone says they're a 'professional' but I'm sure we've all met plenty of 'professional detailers' that make us wonder how they even tie their shoes in the morning

Post Thanks / Like

This is part of an insert that started being added to the Nano kits as well, to provide some guidance on what configurations were recommended. If anyone received and early production version of the tool and needs a copy of the pdf for their records please send me an email dylanv@rupesusa.com , I'll be happy to send it over.

RUPES 2" Backing Plate not for use with the rotary connector and the RUPES Nano iBrid-nano_accessories_1sheeti-print-4-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Good information. I'm still waiting on the second batch of long necks to reach our shores. This is one of the reasons I didn't buy the first batch. I wanted all the "gremlins" to be worked out. But I am ready to buy one now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast