autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

? for Todd or Dylan about the washer mod

It goes without saying the Rupes Bigfoor LHR tools are extremely well engineered outstanding tools. Many swear by the washer mod, and now I am seeing the sandpaper mod which allows the backing plate to spin more freely. What is the reasoning behind having the backing plate basically up against the shroud (is that what you call it) and not able to spin free? There must be a reason the tool was designed that way.

Thanks!

Jaret

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ? for Todd or Dylan about the washer mod

The shroud is there as an 'anti-spin' device. It serves a few functions as it has been explained by the engineers in Italy.

a) RPM and safety concerns - certainly none of us are free spinning our machines in open air, but reducing the RPM of the plate is a safety feature to prevent foams and plates (which do have a threshold for safe RPM tolerance) from catastrophic failure. Certainly no one is going to be killed by foam pad shrapnel, but the regulations exist that require foams to be RPM rated and the devices on which they are used to prevent rotation in excess of that rating.

b) Preventing excessive rotation - the tools, pads, compounds are designed to work as a system and that system is designed with a pretty specific RPM range in mind for maximum performance. We can all argue that more rotation equates to better correction to a point, but there is a point where excessive rotation can become detrimental to the process as well as increase the 'risk' factor to the operator creating an undesired result (overheating a pad, cooking the compound, burning an edge however unlikely) so the shroud works like a safety brake to slow rotation to the levels the engineers found optimal with the system.

c) Compound sling - the pad is stopped quickly from free spinning once the machine is shut down, this prevents unwanted compound sling. Again... few of us are lifting the pad off the surface while its still rotating, but this does prevent that cast off issue.

With Mark II RUPES recognized that the market has caught up (skill wise) with large orbit tools. If anyone remembers back to when BigFoot first showed up a number of people struggled to grasp the concept and apply it correctly. Polishing like it was a PC 7424xp, pressing hard down, cooking pads and getting poor results. As the general competency of the operators has improved Mark II delivers the additional power to continue the rotational movement regardless of panel shape, thus somewhat defeating the need for shroud over-rides. I'd challenge anyone to show me improved performance on a 15 Mark II modded over the stock configuration.

Todd can elaborate more as well, but thats my info direct from the source as it has been explained to me and my personal observations with the tools (modded and unmodded)

Mike Phillips

For what it's worth.... I cover this topic, (why the shroud) and TONS more information in my RUPES how-to book.

There are pictures of the index below (LOTS of INDEX) and the shroud is explained on pages 8 and 20 and 21.

***NEW RUPES Paperback Book***

How to use the RUPES BigFoot Paint Polishing System
    for Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing

I put a lot of time and effort into this new how-to book to make sure it includes everything you've ever wanted to know about the RUPES polishers, pads and products. That's why the title is,

To show you what's inside the book I was going to type out the index or copy and paste it from my original working file but until then, here's pictures showing the index and I think you'll see by the pictures just how in-depth this book is...

There are SIX pages to the index and margins are as far out as the publisher could push them!

If you've read any of my articles on the AGO forum then you know my casual writing style that explains not only what to do but why you're doing it.

If you're going to purchase a RUPES polisher then get this book and read it. The tips and techniques for using the RUPES paint polishing system is the next best thing to attending my RUPES detailing classes.

Also makes a great gift...

On Autogeek.com

for Production Detailing and Show Car Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, any plans to offer this in i book format in the future?
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Mike, any plans to offer this in i book format in the future?

Not at this time that I know of...

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent answers. I have the first gen, and I am not sure it actually really benefits from the washer mod. Maybe it feels like it does, but I felt like it was more apt to stall on curves with the mod than without. It definitely lost a tad of the smoothness with the mod. At least I can easily unmodify it and do quick comparisons. For those that are using sandpaper to grind down the shroud, that cannot be undone.

Ive always personally felt that users who complain about lack of power or stalling with DA Tools need to hone in their technique, rather than simply need more power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    Excellent answers. I have the first gen, and I am not sure it actually really benefits from the washer mod. Maybe it feels like it does, but I felt like it was more apt to stall on curves with the mod than without. It definitely lost a tad of the smoothness with the mod. At least I can easily unmodify it and do quick comparisons. For those that are using sandpaper to grind down the shroud, that cannot be undone.

Ive always personally felt that users who complain about lack of power or stalling with DA Tools need to hone in their technique, rather than simply need more power.
    My other reason for doing the mod is to allow the pad to spin freely when I blow them out with air after each section. If you like the tool without the mod then by all means keep it stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to keep in mind, is to lubricate the shroud every once in a while. If it dries out, or if you clean it you will experience excessive drag and excessive wear.

I actually prefer the shroud engaged. I didn't notice any increase in performance with the washer installed. Infact, it prematurely dried out my compound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind, is to lubricate the shroud every once in a while. If it dries out, or if you clean it you will experience excessive drag and excessive wear.

I actually prefer the shroud engaged. I didn't notice any increase in performance with the washer installed. Infact, it prematurely dried out my compound.

YES! Excellent point. Every so often put a few drops of dielectric grease (or a dab of vasoline if you don't have the grease on hand) on the backing plate and spin it a few times by hand. This will prevent the shroud from binding or wearing away prematurely. Its especially important if you change out the plate for a new one. The plates are not lubricated at all when they're sold separate from the tool and a new plate will give you burnt rubber smell without any lube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan@RUPES View Post
    YES! Excellent point. Every so often put a few drops of dielectric grease (or a dab of vasoline if you don't have the grease on hand) on the backing plate and spin it a few times by hand. This will prevent the shroud from binding or wearing away prematurely. Its especially important if you change out the plate for a new one. The plates are not lubricated at all when they're sold separate from the tool and a new plate will give you burnt rubber smell without any lube.
    Super Lube Synthetic Grease works really well for that purpose.

I put four tiny dabs around the plate, and like you said, move the plate around by hand. I use paper towel to wipe off any build up around the perimeter.

The grease stays with me in the travel bag, in a separate plastic bag (in a pocket). Just in case I'm out away from home doing a job, and need it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ? for Todd or Dylan about the washer mod-1459449853247-jpg