autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini Polishers: DA vs Rotary

I am currently running the GG 6" and I am in the market for a mini-polisher. I am looking at the Flex PE8 Kompact and the Rupes Mini. Two major differences there are the price and the Flex is rotary vs the Rupes being a DA.

I am leaning towards the Flex for the price point but I have never used a rotary before. I know a lot of people are scared of rotary polishers but in all seriousness, how could I possibly mess up with this thing? Has anyone actually damaged a finish with a mini-polisher? Being in small spaces make you be all the more careful anyway so I feel like I would be fine. Plus, if I ever wanted to switch to a full-size rotary, I would have some experience under my belt I guess. Thinking I could pick this up and work from the lower speeds on up.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mini Polishers: DA vs Rotary

I don't have either of these particular machines, but I do plenty of surgical correction with my GG6, Flex 3401 and full size rotary using 3" pads. I also use a 2" pneumatic DA.

When doing intricate work, a rotary has the advantage of not oscillating; that is, you can see the very edge of the pad and it doesn't move, so to you can work right up to an edge or corner and get correction.

There are usually not too many spots on a car that require this type of work, so if you need to do two step to finish out, then so be it, minimal time spent

With the mini DA, in most cases you'll need to step up your pad and polish selection to get the correction and may be forced into a second step anyway. You will also struggle a bit to get correction right up to an edge or corner due to the oscillations, I'll normally take a couple extra passes in those areas with a DA, which is just more risk.

Finally, I don't know what those machines weight, but the lighter machine is far better for surgical work. When the funds are there, I'll be getting a Kompact to fill the gap in my polisher set.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    I don't have either of these particular machines, but I do plenty of surgical correction with my GG6, Flex 3401 and full size rotary using 3" pads. I also use a 2" pneumatic DA.

When doing intricate work, a rotary has the advantage of not oscillating; that is, you can see the very edge of the pad and it doesn't move, so to you can work right up to an edge or corner and get correction.

There are usually not too many spots on a car that require this type of work, so if you need to do two step to finish out, then so be it, minimal time spent

With the mini DA, in most cases you'll need to step up your pad and polish selection to get the correction and may be forced into a second step anyway. You will also struggle a bit to get correction right up to an edge or corner due to the oscillations, I'll normally take a couple extra passes in those areas with a DA, which is just more risk.

Finally, I don't know what those machines weight, but the lighter machine is far better for surgical work. When the funds are there, I'll be getting a Kompact to fill the gap in my polisher set.
    That was the other thing I forgot to mention. I don't want to worry about the DA oscillating and banging into the trim, etc, which is another reason I was leaning toward the rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote would be for the flex as well. I don't have either, but like Audios said, the rotary will allow you to get right up to an edge. The mini has a 12mm throw which makes it less tight spot/edge friendly regardless of what size pad you're using. Also, you can get pads down to 1" for the rotary while I believe the mini uses 3".

As far as damaging the paint, I'm sure the mini rotary is just as dangerous as a full size in the wrong hands. It's still direct drive and with a very small pad, the pressure and heat are more concentrated. I'm sure it can be used safely with a little common sense and some experience though.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, seems like that would be a better fit. I imagine if the speed isn't too high, I follow the contours, and it's not in the same place for more than a couple of seconds, I should be safe right?Anyone out there actually damaged paint while using a mini rotary?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Flex PE8 and it is awesome. The PE8 is very powerful and quiet to use. Very smooth too. I was afraid of holograms as it is a rotary. To date, I have not experienced any "hologram" issues as the rotary itself is very light and learning your technique with the rotary is very easy.

The good thing about this whole thing is that I was able to make my PC7424 XP into a "mini-DA". I can use 1" pads to 5.5" Pads.

I now have 3 awesome polishers to work with. My favorite of course is my Flex 3401 for my "mini" Polishers I have the PE8 and PC7424XP.

If there were any future "hologram" issues the concerns have been answered with my PC. BTW, you can do the same thing with your GG 6" DA same backing plates and all pads.

I posted these pics in a couple of different threads, however, since you are talking about "mini" polishers here you go!

I hope you guys like!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini Polishers: DA vs Rotary-1-2-3-inch-polishers-001-jpg   Mini Polishers: DA vs Rotary-1-2-3-inch-polishers-005-jpg   Mini Polishers: DA vs Rotary-1-2-3-inch-polishers-008-jpg  
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm waiting for Griot's to come out with a BOSS mini, that has the rotary-style grip/trigger, for 3-4" pads and smaller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I am currently running the GG 6" and I am in the market for a mini-polisher. I am looking at the Flex PE8 Kompact and the Rupes Mini. Two major differences there are the price and the Flex is rotary vs the Rupes being a DA.

I am leaning towards the Flex for the price point but I have never used a rotary before. I know a lot of people are scared of rotary polishers but in all seriousness, how could I possibly mess up with this thing? Has anyone actually damaged a finish with a mini-polisher? Being in small spaces make you be all the more careful anyway so I feel like I would be fine. Plus, if I ever wanted to switch to a full-size rotary, I would have some experience under my belt I guess. Thinking I could pick this up and work from the lower speeds on up.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by MIsnowman View Post
    My vote would be for the flex as well. I don't have either, but like Audios said, the rotary will allow you to get right up to an edge. The mini has a 12mm throw which makes it less tight spot/edge friendly regardless of what size pad you're using. Also, you can get pads down to 1" for the rotary while I believe the mini uses 3".

As far as damaging the paint, I'm sure the mini rotary is just as dangerous as a full size in the wrong hands. It's still direct drive and with a very small pad, the pressure and heat are more concentrated. I'm sure it can be used safely with a little common sense and some experience though.
    I have the Rupes Mini and the PE8. They both have their uses. I agree 100% with what was said above, the PE8 is a beast and to be respected. I melted my daughters headlight in a flash practicing with it.

It is VERY powerful, don't let the word Kompakt mislead you. It is a very serious rotary. That being said, the Rupes Mini is my all around go to machine for A pillars, bumpers etc. The PE8 with the extension fits into the really hard to get areas.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I have the Rupes Mini and the PE8. They both have their uses. I agree 100% with what was said above, the PE8 is a beast and to be respected. I melted my daughters headlight in a flash practicing with it.

It is VERY powerful, don't let the word Kompakt mislead you. It is a very serious rotary. That being said, the Rupes Mini is my all around go to machine for A pillars, bumpers etc. The PE8 with the extension fits into the really hard to get areas.
    I have both and use both. I tend to use the mini more. Someone posted a paint twist on their bumper using the PE8 so must be used with caution especially on bumpers.

Post Thanks / Like

What in the world is a paint twist if you don't mind me asking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast