autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

I guess the main thing is you are happy with the results.

One of the really nice things about polishes like the Megs is you can change the amount of cut by altering the speed. Slowing the speed down towards the minimum can make a big difference to the overall gloss. Just to echo some of the above points, 2000rpm is, thesedays, considered very fast, I tend to work between 900 and 1500 with M101

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is everyone afraid of rotary polishers? And what's this about not finishing properly?

"hullaballoo"? Wow.
    -----------------------------------
    http://www.birminghamautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailGeeks View Post

Did I just get lucky, or am I missing something here?
    The latter, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    You have holograms.
    +1.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheDetailGeeks View Post
    What's a better speed with the pad and product combo I'm using?

This guy recommends 1800-1900 RPM, is the type of polish and pad he's using significantly different than the combo I'm using? I feel like I'm having to re-learn everything I've been taught when all I used was a DA!

http://youtu.be/CI78DjvsLwA?t=8m50s
    You are not crazy or missing anything.

Years ago it was impossible but now with the latest pads and polishes it is very doable.

I have three rotaries and a 3401. The CCS pads are my favorite on the rotaries and I get excellent results with Megs, Menzerna, and Wolfgang compounds and polishes.

I would recommend slowing down to between 600 and 1200 rpm. The slower speed that gives correction is best. I usually don't get over 1000 and try to stay at around 600. Keep the pads lubricated well.

Watch this video of Mike Phillips jeweling with a PE14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4PQfiXJLIc

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the low buget find. Every since forum member Danube posted that green machine I've wanted one. Simply to add to the tool box. I still want one. But they are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

The above all said, if there are holograms, as long as you don't see them and as long as you maintain the paint with a wax, sealant or coating, then the point is moot.
    At some point customers move on. But you still own the work. I made good money fixing other peoples boo-boos. But also, I made good money being that guy. I came to AGO to step up my game. There is much knowledge and experience here. I am not above being humble anymore. Never again will I be THAT guy.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

DetailGeek, you're story is almost identical to mine! Bought a PC7336 many years ago and still have and use it. Having heard of the effectiveness of rotaries, i then bought a Hitachi and still have and use that too. I was happy i did and it did yield the time savings for correction i was hoping for. Yes, they are somewhat tricky to first get used to and handle properly but it is still my go to tool for correction.

I then became somewhat concerned a few years ago when i read Mike P say you can't get a hologram free finish with a rotary...so i set out to prove that...that is, to either prove it or dispel it. My subject over the years has been my 2007 Black BMW 335i. My final analysis today? Yes, i can and i use the techniques as shown in the Mike P video above i.e. Very slow speeds and a black or blue LC pad with a super fine polish.

I still love my Hitachi and it is on it's second set of brushes but still rockin and rollin.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post

I then became somewhat concerned a few years ago when i read Mike P say you can't get a hologram free finish with a rotary...
    I don't think I've ever said that in fact I've said it can be done I just don't believe it can be done on every paint system in the world.

Paints are different and some polish easier than others. And to clarify, a paint system can either be OEM that is sprayed at the factory. (how many car manufacturers are their in the world), or a paint system can be specific to the refinishing industry, that's the guys at your local body shop and custom paint shop spraying paint.

Not only are there different paint manufactures but the "technology" is continually changing so you never know what you're working on from year to year and that's what I mean by "paint systems". What works on one paint system might not work on a different paint system.

If you can find a thread on any forum where I've said you can't get a 100% hologram free finish on every paint system with rotary please share the link.

If you read this article on this topic, not scan the article but READ the article you'll see exactly what I say.

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer

You need to be very careful on a discussion forum with each word your write because words matter. I know I'm very careful.

I've also posted pictures of cars that either I've buffed out or "we've" buffed out here at Autogeek using ONLY rotary buffers.

If you read through this thread take note, I only used a rotary buffer on this car.

Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

If you read through these two write-ups only rotary buffers were used...

1987 Corvette Show Car Makeover - SONAX Showcase

1990 Corvette - Extreme Makeover Pictures & Process

And I share tips on jewelling, more tips than I think I've ever seen anywhere on the Internet. I see LOTS of talk but nothing from anyone in writing.

Jeweling
    Next we continued to use the same polish but switched over to 5.5" Gold Jewelling Pads

Tips on how to jewel paint using a rotary buffer
    Before starting, we went over a few tips and techniques for how to jewel paint when using a rotary buffer.

Less than the weight of the machine
    This is showing that we're actually using a little bit less than the weight of the machine for the last few passes for this section. The idea being that polishing paint is an art form, not a grinding process. As the pad becomes wet with product it will easily compress with just the weight of the tool. For your last few passes you want light pressure via the pad contact, now heavy pressure and to get light contact you need to watch and prevent pad compression.

And as my norm... all my write-ups are fully documented with pictures and words, much more so than most write-ups you find anywhere. (and my pictures never disappear)

I'm also the guy that always posts that technology has improved more and faster than I've ever seen in my 28 years of working professionally in this industry.

That means it's easier now than ever to get great results with any tool due to improved abrasive technology and pad technology.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice post Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike for your explanation. As I said before in a previous post; I am not afraid of using a Rotary, I CHOOSE NOT TO as I (IMO at least) do nearly perfect correcting/polishing with my Flex 3401 and PC7424 XP. I do have the new Flex PE-8 and I am learning how to use a rotary.

I do like the PE-8 and I feel it has its purpose. 1 thing for sure is that the PE-8 has not encouraged me to move to a rotary.

What it has done is make it a compliment to my Machine arsenal. So for the near and long term, I will stick with what I have now; Flex 3401, Flex PE-8 Kompakt and PC 7424 XP all with different backing plates and different size pads.

Thank you for your Post.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Mike Phillips

The thing is... it's easier to simply do the last machine polishing step with ANY dual action polisher and avoid any "potential" hassle of having holograms come back to haunt you down the road.

One thing I notice about this topic is it seems to get a few people all emotional.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast