autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Makita 9227C gets a makeover...

Makita's popular circular polisher gets an update.

New 9237CX2 model released.
    Makita 9227C 7 inch Circular Polisher

Would love to see some side by side pictures against it's competition and maybe a review?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Makita 9227C gets a makeover...

Looks good! Much better equipped to go toe-to-toe with the Dewalt 849x. I miss my 9227, that thing was indestructible.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    Looks good! Much better equipped to go toe-to-toe with the Dewalt 849x. I miss my 9227, that thing was indestructible.
    I agree. Would be cool to see head to head! 849x vs. 9237CX2!

I have an 849x I can compare it to if AGO would like to send over the Makita for an in depth review...

What happened to your 9227?

Post Thanks / Like

I know a lot of people who had Makita's as their workhorse before shifting to newer Flex PE-14 or the Dewalt 849x, so I wonder what they'll think of this refresh. Would love to see a new head to head as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool! I was wondering when Makita would refresh their rotary. I like using my 849x, but I would definitely love to get my hands on this new Makita to see how it compares.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm surprised (makita) they haven't come out with a new DA comparable to the likes of the rupes, flex, etc,...

Post Thanks / Like

Bump.

Would like to see a head to head against it's main competitor. The 849x.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Bump.

Would like to see a head to head against it's main competitor. The 849x.

Looks like it's time to do a new comparison....

Here's the comparison I wrote 2 1/2 years ago (time stamp = 05-24-2012, 02:42 PM) and if you look at the features I showcased for the DeWALT and the corrosponding negative aspects of the Makita, it almost looks like used this article as a guide to make their improvements.

DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

First both tools are exceptionally well built, strong performers for their class which is Full Size Rotary Buffers. This article is just to give you a close-up look at each tool with high resolution pictures, resized for easy viewing on any computer monitor. The goal of this article is to simply let you see up close, what each tool looks like and offers in the way of design, fit and finish.

If you attend any of the classes offered here at Autogeek you are always encouraged to take both of these tools as well as all the tools we carry for a test drive and see for yourself, which tools fits you best.

Left: DeWALT DWP849X Right: Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

The DeWALT DWP849X

The DeWALT comes with a soft rubber cap over the head of the polisher. This serves two function,

1. It makes gripping and holding onto the head comfortable and secure.

2. It acts as a bumper to prevent scratching or marring if you accidentally bump the head of the polisher into any painted surface an other components.

Soft Rubber Tool Rest
    There is as soft rubber horizontal tool rest across the top of the DeWALT at both the front and the back. This keeps the tool from sliding off a smooth surface or even scratching it should you lay the polisher down when not in use.

Below you can see the rear soft rubber tool rest and also note the speed selector is recessed to help prevent accidental changes in speed while using the tool.

Recessed Lock Button
    The drive gear lock button is also recessed to prevent you from accidentally pressing the button when gripping the head of the unit while running the buffer.

Wool Ingestion Shields
    The fresh air intake has a wire mesh shield to help prevent wool fibers and other debris from being sucked into the motor and body cavity.

The Makita 9227C

Powder Coated Head
    The head unit of the Makita Rotary Buffer comes with a powder coating that is corrosion resistant.

Metal Tool Stands
    Their are two raised metal tool stands at the head of the polisher stable when placed upside down and not in use.

At the end of the tool there is a hard plastic tool stand and the variable speed dial is exposed.

Semi-Recessed Lock Button
    The locking button for the drive gears is semi-recessed with a raised ring surrounding the button to help prevent accidental engagement while operating the buffer.

Side Air Vents

Product shots for dimension reference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    I agree. Would be cool to see head to head! 849x vs. 9237CX2!

I have an 849x I can compare it to if AGO would like to send over the Makita for an in depth review...

What happened to your 9227?
    I gave away my 9227, got the 849x from Mike Phillip's Bumble Bee comparison above. I do all my grunt work with the Dewalt and use the Flex PE-14 for tight area. For boat work, the 849x can spin a 8-10" wool pad all day
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an older 9227c from like 2002. That thing is a work horse. At the time the dewalt rotary was a little different. And I liked the Makita slow start feature. Either way you can't go wrong with a Makita or Dewalt.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast