autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving from PC to DeWalt DWP849X after 9 years..advice and encouragement needed

You're going to find it difficult to get even results over the entire vehicle. Also drying of your polish will be an issue. Keep the speed low as advised until you get the hang of it. I truly believe the 3401 with FG400 and a yellow or short wool pad would have done the job. If find I go over the areas where I used my DW849 with the Flex just to clean them up before stepping up to a white pad and a light polish. Rotaries can be very messy as well so get ready for a lot of time spent on clean-up of splattering.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving from PC to DeWalt DWP849X after 9 years..advice and encouragement needed

Yikes.

We'll see how it goes.

PC tonight on a 2013 XTS that looked like it was washed with rocks took 7 hours. CCS yellow with Optimum compound, first pass generally eliminated most but not all. Took 3-4 complete apps to remove 90%. Working in a 2x2 area and progressing around the car took almost 5 hours. Finished down with white ccs and optimum polish II. I left a lot of scratches behind by nearing 7 hours it was time to say enough was enough. I honestly can't wait to see some more machine power.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the rotary world! Everyone has given you good advise. I actually just picked up the 849x also. Did you get the kit from AG with the 8.5 ccs pads? I have always used wool pads in the past, but want to transition into foam. I find wool are easier to use -control. I was getting some grabbing from the foam pads, especially the cutting pads. I know a lot was my technique, amount of product and I did find that you need have the back edge of the pad slightly tilted upward. ( Later found this on LC tips for these pads.) I do recommend getting wool cutting pads for the number of cars are doing and if they are heavily oxidized. You can then work a larger area faster, then do your polishing and finishing with the foam pads or even your PC.
    Everything Puckman has told you is spot on correct! Good luck and I know you'll have it mastered in no time!

Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt came in and went right at it on a 07 540i.

Previous holograms and existing swirls came out with Optimum polish II using the white LC pad! Unreal. Worked between 1000/1500 rpm or so. Took about 3 hours total. I left the rids in the finish but took everything else out.

Very impressed. Machine was a bit heavy but I imagine I'll build strength and technique.

I did buy a wool pad but was afraid to use it and figured the white pad was a good place to start. I used my PC with yellow and optimum compound for the upper doors because I was struggling a bit with the pads grabbing. I did find that the pad worked better with a mist of quick detailer but I went back to what I was comfortable with.

Regardless it worked great and I'm highly impressed and how quiet the machine is and how effective it was. I was able to finish down using the Dewalt and had no hologram or marring!

More tips and advice would be highly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome to hear! I thought you might be somewhat comfortable right off the bat after feeling it for a bit at first. Like i said before, 9 years with a machine already allows you a comfort level with a machine and transitioning to a rotary should come relatively easily. Sounds like it did! Nice. Just be careful of how much closer you are to potential damage.

I love my wool pads on certain, very hard finishes and like how they run a bit cooler for me too. I can understand your reluctance with something that you might fear as substantial cut but that's the reason you're moving to a rotary in the first place.

Hey, thanks for letting us know how it went. Anyone lurking here with a similar situation might be persuaded to do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

And for the times i feel the machine or pad getting grabby i usually lighten up the pressure to finish that pass and then clean your pad or switch to a fresh pad.

You'll get used to side panels/sections with the deWalt too. Just takes some more time and feel.

And, yes...you'll develop those Popeye arms for the ladies!!!

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I did constantly was check the temperature of the area I was working on. I don't recall feeling any heat.

Another thing I like is the quality of the pads. The backing seems much more rigid & durable than the pads available for a pc. Sometimes just peeling a pad off, I would ruin or begin to ruin the pad. I was lucky to get 2-3 cars out of 2 yellow pads. Felt like such a waste.

Being able to clean the pads using the machine and a pad cleaner was great too. Having fresh, non caked pads available with a 15 second scrub was a huge contributor to saving time.

I also managed to learn how to pick up a bead of compound right away.

I will be doing a fx7 Monday that is heavily scratched and of course...black. I think I may give the wool pad a try on the hood. We'll see how confident I'm feeling.

What are your experiences with pad longevity? I'm so glad to see that my investments in pads appears it will diminish by at least 50%.

Post Thanks / Like

I have pads that are really old and they have held up well. I use the LC flat 5.5" and have quite a few of all of them. It's funny because i just tossed an orange LC pad today and i can't remember the last time i tossed a pad out.

I have had the occasional velcro adhesive give up the ghost but very infrequently. A small cost for using so many and giving them a workout.

Your in a good habit to be checking for heat. I still do that occasionally and especially on plastic panels. It's good to hear your not noticing any heat buildup.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome. The thought of not murdering pads every other day is nice.

One downside is the trigger. I felt a need to death squeeze it and really tired my hand out.

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest using the hold or lock button for that issue!

I was going to recommend learning to pick up a bead of product but I just read that you already did. It really helps keeping product from flying everywhere. Also, I found that after learning to pick up a bead of product, my handling of the rotary was a lot smoother and finesse-like as opposed to robtronic. Congrats on the rotary.. I use mine all the time despite trending machines and techniques

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast