autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got a rotary for christmas

Thanks i will go also and pick some hood or panel to practice with the rotary. what compound should i use and pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
    Thanks i will go also and pick some hood or panel to practice with the rotary. what compound should i use and pads.

Help here would be needed. I use only two types of pads, but Lake county pads are popular. For compound find M105 and M205.
    Bill 1234
    2004 audi a6 quattro (traded).
    2015 Ford Escape 2.0l ecoboost 4WD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    The reason the swirls came back, is because they never left your paint. The polishing oils hid them. It's important to do a solvent wipe down after polishing to get rid of the oils before applying a wax/sealant.

Not that it matters, but are you a female?
    What an odd question! Lol!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
    Help here would be needed. I use only two types of pads, but Lake county pads are popular. For compound find M105 and M205.
    Sorry i mean to practice with the rotary. Should i use M105 and M205 also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    You got a good buffer just need to use it more to get the hang of it.After some time you will be better and can do more with it.you may also what to get a pc to get it wright for now. Just use the pc after you buff with the rotary .
    If you aren't doing paint correction as a source of income and are correcting, polishing, and protecting just your personal vehicles...You may never need to utilize the cutting power of a rotary. If you want a top notch DA that can correct almost anything but polish paint to a diamond sparkle, go with a rupes or a flex DA! With that being said I have 4 rotaries sitting on my shelf (2 are still BNIB)! I really only use them for heavy duty correction or wetsanding and buffing. Then I switch to a DA.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    If you aren't doing paint correction as a source of income and are correcting, polishing, and protecting just your personal vehicles...You may never need to utilize the cutting power of a rotary. If you want a top notch DA that can correct almost anything but polish paint to a diamond sparkle, go with a rupes or a flex DA! With that being said I have 4 rotaries sitting on my shelf (2 are still BNIB)! I really only use them for heavy duty correction or wetsanding and buffing. Then I switch to a DA.
    Wow those are really expensive i am only a student LOL.

can i use the rotary to cut(if necessary) and the pc to polish?

Post Thanks / Like
    The harbor freight da is similar to the Griots garage da in size and power. A lot of people use the Griots with great results. The harbor freight on is within almost anyone's financial reach.

The dewalt is more than capable of finishing out really nicely. Search on here for Mike's threads on how to polish and jewel paint with a rotary. The chance of burning paint when jeweling, or even finish polishing is fairly small. You'll be running the buffer on the slowest speed as you do these steps.

Check out some videos to get a better feel for the techniques needed when using a rotary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
    Wow those are really expensive i am only a student LOL.

can i use the rotary to cut(if necessary) and the pc to polish?
    You can, but you need to know when and more importantly, how to properly use a rotary. With a DA, correction takes a bit more time but it's pretty much foolproof! My suggestion would be to grab a PC kit with pads and Meg's m105 and m205 and go to town! Roughly $199 for the whole shebang!

If you have the time, by all means....master the rotary! It's a skill not many possess! Do yourself a favor though...Practice correction on salvage parts until you are confident enough to use the rotary on your own paint! :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I also believe the 3M compound you used contains fillers. I'd go with Meguiars M105&M205. Some lake country ccs pads in a variety of colors. Lean more towards the soft ones.

Maybe get 2 orange, 2 white, 2 black, 1blue, and a red.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

If you know how to use it then please do.
    Just remember to finish with an ultra fine polish and a white pad.
    The results using a rotary can be outstanding, more so than a DA but only if you follow through with the steps.

Work in small areas and make sure to work the product unti it's broken done.
    I see people try to hurry the job when using a rotary only to get poor results.
    I have my GG6 that I use most of the time but there are times I want that super looking finish that only a rotary can give me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast