autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Help

Post Thanks / Like

Help

I am thinking of getting a polisher for my car so that I can give my arm a break. The one problem is I am new to polishers and I don't want to spend any more than $150. I am only going to use this for 3-4 years so I don't need something that will last forever but that is always a bonus. Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help

Also I was thinking of getting a 3in instead of a 6in because they are cheaper and and I can only get one so I want a uniform look around the car. Unless I should just go with the 6in.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a 3", make sure you have a lot of time available. I can't even imagine polishing an entire car with a 3", I only use them for small areas (window pillars) and applying wax. Spend the money on a 6.

All of them are good and will get the job done. If money is an issue, I'd go with the PC or Harbor Freight. Don't forget the pads...to stay generic with the typical ones you need...3-4 of each orange and white (if you want to do paint correction) if you are only looking to do a one step with an All In One product for a daily driver, you will only need the white. If you want to save money, apply wax (if you are going to use it over an AIO) by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
    If you get a 3", make sure you have a lot of time available. I can't even imagine polishing an entire car with a 3", I only use them for small areas (window pillars) and applying wax. Spend the money on a 6.

All of them are good and will get the job done. If money is an issue, I'd go with the PC or Harbor Freight. Don't forget the pads...to stay generic with the typical ones you need...3-4 of each orange and white (if you want to do paint correction) if you are only looking to do a one step with an All In One product for a daily driver, you will only need the white. If you want to save money, apply wax (if you are going to use it over an AIO) by hand.
    Can you give me any links to ones on harbor freight because people have told me to go there if I want an inexpensive one but navigation is a little too confusing for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one I found is it decent:
    6 in. Variable Speed Dual Action Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    I'm not that familiar with the HF polishers, I just know they are inexpensive. The main thing I would look at on this (you can call their customer service to make sure) is that the backing plate is changeable. You would want a 4.5 or 5" plate so you can get 5-5.5" pads. If you go with this DA, just watch the temps of it. My experience with the Chicago Electric tools is that they tend to run hot and burn up. That said, it looks like a decent machine for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that familiar with the HF polishers, I just know they are inexpensive. The main thing I would look at on this (you can call their customer service to make sure) is that the backing plate is changeable. You would want a 4.5 or 5" plate so you can get 5-5.5" pads. If you go with this DA, just watch the temps of it. My experience with the Chicago Electric tools is that they tend to run hot and burn up. That said, it looks like a decent machine for the money.
    Thanks, I was reading some other thread and people said that they were able to change the backing plate and it was decent for the money. Just wondering now if you have any suggestions for polishing pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the pads...to stay generic with the typical ones you need...3-4 of each orange and white (if you want to do paint correction) if you are only looking to do a one step with an All In One product for a daily driver, you will only need the white. If you want to save money, apply wax (if you are going to use it over an AIO) by hand.
    Lake Country CCS work well and are easy to use. You can get a 6 pack at a pretty reasonable price

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    I've been using that polisher in my shop for a whole year now. I don't polish cars day in and day out, but I'd say I've got 30 or more paint corrections done with it since I purchased it. The backing plate that came with it had to be discarded immediately and replaced with a higher quality backing plate.

This machine has surpassed my expectations in power and reliability. Just be aware of the replacement policy that can be purchased at an extra fee. It can only be replaced once with that additionally purchased replacement policy.

I haven't needed to use it yet on my unit but have on other tools. They will replace it if it fails, but you'll need to purchase another replacement policy with the replacement tool when they give it to you.

For the amount of money I spent on this unit, and the amount of money I earn with it's use, it's a non issue even if it does fail within the 2 year replacement term I purchased.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Griot's Garage 6in. It has plenty of torque! Most 3in models don't have enough torque to really get the job done. A random orbital will be easy for you to learn with too.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.