autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just picked up a DeWalt 849X rotary buffer...

Tried my friends and I was sold! When used with pliable foam pads and wool, it's not hard to use at all. Keep the polisher constantly moving and use common sense and burning paint shouldn't be an issue. Even the Rupes LHR 21ES can't hang with removing defects vs. the DeWalt!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Re: Just picked up a DeWalt 849X rotary buffer...

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Tried my friends and I was sold! When used with pliable foam pads and wool, it's not hard to use at all. Keep the polisher constantly moving and use common sense and burning paint shouldn't be an issue. Even the Rupes LHR 21ES can't hang with removing defects vs. the DeWalt!

Definitely a "must have tool" in the arsenal of detailing tools... It's never a "which tool is best", it's "which tool is best for the job at hand".

Get some junker panels from the salvage yard or from a body shop to practice on.

Hey if Audrey can do it you can too... (she's using a Flex PE14 but same idea)

How to use a Rotary Buffer

The perfect training vehicle
    Classic Corvettes like this 1966 Sting Ray work great for learning how to hold and use a rotary buffer. There are plenty of raised body lines to learn how to avoid buffing on top of and a good mix of flat panes and lots of curves. PLUS it's a CORVETTE!

Audrey & Juan learning to use a Rotary Buffer on a 1966 Corvette

At this last weekend's class we had a a married couple attend, Juan and Audrey and both were new to machine polishing. Over the course of the 2-day class they both received lots of hands-on training and hands-on practice using a variety of tools.

Here's Audrey and Juan learning to use a Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer with a wool pad and Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound to remove the swirls and scratches out of a 1966 Corvette Sting Ray...

First thing a person needs to learn is how to clean their wool pad using a pad cleaning spur

Perfect!

Next is learning to pick up an bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique...

Then with a little hands-on guidance, how much pressure to apply, how slow to move the polisher over the paint and how much downward pressure to use...

Removing swirls and scratches next to the driver side mirror...

She's doing great!

Nice job Audrey!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Definitely a "must have tool" in the arsenal of detailing tools... It's never a "which tool is best", it's "which tool is best for the job at hand".

Get some junker panels from the salvage yard or from a body shop to practice on.

Hey if Audrey can do it you can too... (she's using a Flex PE14 but same idea)

How to use a Rotary Buffer

The perfect training vehicle
    Classic Corvettes like this 1966 Sting Ray work great for learning how to hold and use a rotary buffer. There are plenty of raised body lines to learn how to avoid buffing on top of and a good mix of flat panes and lots of curves. PLUS it's a CORVETTE!

Audrey & Juan learning to use a Rotary Buffer on a 1966 Corvette

At this last weekend's class we had a a married couple attend, Juan and Audrey and both were new to machine polishing. Over the course of the 2-day class they both received lots of hands-on training and hands-on practice using a variety of tools.

Here's Audrey and Juan learning to use a Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer with a wool pad and Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound to remove the swirls and scratches out of a 1966 Corvette Sting Ray...

First thing a person needs to learn is how to clean their wool pad using a pad cleaning spur

Perfect!

Next is learning to pick up an bead of product using the 10 @ 10 Technique...

Then with a little hands-on guidance, how much pressure to apply, how slow to move the polisher over the paint and how much downward pressure to use...

Removing swirls and scratches next to the driver side mirror...

She's doing great!

Nice job Audrey!

Perfectttttttt information, Mike.

Thank you!!!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pick up!

I've had my 849x for a while now and it's still my go-to for deeper isolated defects. I honestly haven't used it as much since I've switched mostly to MF pads but there are times when I am so glad I have it available.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Will think about this one on 1st buy I guess . Thanx for sharing .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Welcome to the dark side (of more power). You really can't compare a RB to a DA not a fair fight at all. The two should compliment each other nicely however. Just don't loose concentration because when it goes bad it goes bad quickly. That's not to say RB's are hard to use or dangerous just more powerful and if you crank up the rpms and loose concentration towards the end of a long day look out.

The 849X is a great value.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Mark. I'm sure with your skill and hunger for knowledge that you will have it mastered in no time. Great machine!!
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Very nice Mark. I'm sure with your skill and hunger for knowledge that you will have it mastered in no time. Great machine!!
    I'd agree with all of the above. I've been in the forum world as long anyone and met a very wide spectrum of people and Mark certainly has shown himself to be very passionate about both the car hobby in general and car detailing in specific and his posts are always interesting, positive and engaging.

To that point I can already see future rotary buffer threads...

Mike Phillips

Three simple accessories to get along with your rotary buffer,

Backing Plate Adapter/Extension
    Steel Spur
    Flexible Backing Plates

Minimum best thee "must haves" with a rotary buffer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, thank you for the compliments. You have and will always help me tremendously! Much appreciated! I have a huge passion for detailing. I can honestly say it's a hobby that interests me the most, bar none!

I do not have any of the must haves you listed; I will be ordering them very soon.

Jim(Dr. Oldz), thank you for the compliment and for always sharing your knowledge. I value your opinion highly! I definitely don't expect to master a rotary overnight, but I'm confident I'll at least get the hang of it fairly quickly.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast