autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Issues with soft paint and finishing polish on a rotary

So starting on Monday I was working on a 2004 CTS-V that has horrible swirls, RIDS, oxidation, and on top of that, has been repainted, and still has plenty of buffer trails left behind by the body shop.

Here are the before shots:

I was able to tackle the deeper imperfections with Malco tru-grit, which I've been using for years with success on a wool pad, but this is a pretty heavy duty combination that will leave behind some micro-marring.

After the heavy compounding, my first attempt was with SSR2.5 on an orange CCS pad followed by SSR2 on a white CCS pad, and I noticed this combination would leave behind buffer trails, and would not finish down good enough. I could tell the trails were from this combination as I changed the motion of the rotary from vertically up and down the hood to horizontally across the hood. I then tried SSR1 on a black CCS pad, and this still would not get rid of the buffer trails. Then, for the next hour, I tried different combinations of the SSRs and CCS pads, with still no luck in getting a flawless finish.

Here is what was being left behind; minimal, but still visible:

I then thought in the back of my head of all of the M105/M205 talk, and that the M205 finishes down great, has a long working time, and is easy to use. So I picked up a bottle, along with M105 just in case, as well as the Meguiar's soft buff 2.0 pads, as I have heard that the CCS pads are a bit aggressive and can leave behind marring on soft paints.

After M205 on a Meg's Soft Buff finishing pad:

(still some severe pitting on the hood - which was repainted poorly)

I THOUGHT the M205 on the Soft Buff 2.0 finishing pad did the trick, but the next day I could still see very slight holograms (still better than the results with the SSR line and PwS). You can somewhat see them in the picture below:

Any suggestions? I've never had this much of an issue trying to find a polish that will finish down properly; I've been using a rotary for about 6 years now. I'm working each polish/compound according to specifications, working small 2x2 areas at a time, keeping my pads cleaned, and all pads were brand new, as I was trying out the CCS pads and the entire SSR line for the first time.

I have heard really good things about Menzerna 85RD to finish down, but I'd like to get some feedback before going out and buying more product. I've had a great experience with Menzerna SIP/PO106ff a few years back, but have yet to use the 85RD. I've also heard great things about 3M Ultrafina.

Mike Phillips

Re: Issues with soft paint and finishing polish on a rotary

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post

I have heard really good things about Menzerna 85RD to finish down, but I'd like to get some feedback before going out and buying more product.

Menzerna SF 4500 has the longest history that I know of for finishing down hologram free on the widest variety of paint types.

I've had good luck with SONAX Nano Polish, see the Corvette in this thread...

1987 Corvette Show Car Makeover - SONAX Showcase

Optimum Finish, see the 1949 Chevy Sedan Delivery in this thread...
    Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

And GTechniq P2 Jewelling Polish. See the Impala in this thread...

1963 Impala and 1964 Chevy Delivery Truck - Show Car Makeover Pictures

Menzerna changed the names of the products and labeling system, see my article here,

Menzerna - New Names and Product Numbers

Good luck...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Menzerna SF 4500 has the longest history that I know of for finishing down hologram free on the widest variety of paint types.

I've had good luck with SONAX Nano Polish, see the Corvette in this thread...

1987 Corvette Show Car Makeover - SONAX Showcase

Optimum Finish, see the 1949 Chevy Sedan Delivery in this thread...
    Bumblebee - Testing out the NEW DeWALT DWP849X

And GTechniq P2 Jewelling Polish. See the Impala in this thread...

1963 Impala and 1964 Chevy Delivery Truck - Show Car Makeover Pictures

Menzerna changed the names of the products and labeling system, see my article here,

Menzerna - New Names and Product Numbers

Good luck...

Mike,

Thank you! I've been reading a lot of your articles over the years, and they have been incredibly helpful.

What are your honest opinions on the SSR line for rotary use? I've had great experiences with their PwS, EX-P, and some of their other topper products, but this was my first experience with the entire SSR line, and with the fact that I had to follow up everything with the M205 makes me wonder just how well they work.

I also saw your work on the bumblebee car with the Optimum Compound II, Polish II and Finish Polish. How do you think that combination compares to the Menzerna SIP,106, and 85rd?

I used SIP and the 106FF a few years ago, and was pleased with it, but I really like what I'm seeing with Optimum, and they are putting out some really neat polishes.

Also, I am wondering if it's just not possible to get any of these final polishes (85rd, Ultrafina) to finish down properly on a rotary with this super soft paint, and if it will be necessary to break down and get a DA polisher.

Mike Phillips

Mike,

Thank you! I've been reading a lot of your articles over the years, and they have been incredibly helpful.
    Thank you... always do my best...

What are your honest opinions on the SSR line for rotary use? I've had great experiences with their PwS, EX-P, and some of their other topper products, but this was my first experience with the entire SSR line, and with the fact that I had to follow up everything with the M205 makes me wonder just how well they work.
    Most product lines on the market work well but sometimes you have to invest the time into them to really learn how they like to be worked for best results.

There's a lot of different paint systems on the market and some product lines work better on some paint systems. It's like I always say, it's not about you... it's about the paint...

I also saw your work on the bumblebee car with the Optimum Compound II, Polish II and Finish Polish. How do you think that combination compares to the Menzerna SIP,106, and 85rd?
    I'd say they compare really well to one another as far as cut and finish. Again, a person needs to spend time with a line of products to really get good with them...

Also, I am wondering if it's just not possible to get any of these final polishes (85rd, Ultrafina) to finish down properly on a rotary with this super soft paint, and if it will be necessary to break down and get a DA polisher.

Soft paint is a challenge that's for sure. I've had good luck with the SF 4000 and SF 4500 and even the Optimum Finish on soft paints with soft foam pads and DA Polishers like the Porter Cable type.

I think it's important to have at least one PC or PC "type" of tool in your arsenal for anytime you run into paint that's difficult to finish out with using only a rotary buffer but also for machine applying wax. I rarely ever apply anything by hand and especially the wax or paint sealant. I do like how the PC fits the grip of my hand for doing applying waxes with just one hand. Even to my own truck...

1987 Chevy 4x4 Monster Truck "Before & After" Pictures

Me applying Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax using a Meguiar's G110v2 Dual Action Polisher with a 5.5" Lake Country Blue Waxing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Thank you... always do my best...

Most product lines on the market work well but sometimes you have to invest the time into them to really learn how they like to be worked for best results.

There's a lot of different paint systems on the market and some product lines work better on some paint systems. It's like I always say, it's not about you... it's about the paint...

I'd say they compare really well to one another as far as cut and finish. Again, a person needs to spend time with a line of products to really get good with them...

Soft paint is a challenge that's for sure. I've had good luck with the SF 4000 and SF 4500 and even the Optimum Finish on soft paints with soft foam pads and DA Polishers like the Porter Cable type.

I think it's important to have at least one PC or PC "type" of tool in your arsenal for anytime you run into paint that's difficult to finish out with using only a rotary buffer but also for machine applying wax. I rarely ever apply anything by hand and especially the wax or paint sealant. I do like how the PC fits the grip of my hand for doing applying waxes with just one hand. Even to my own truck...

1987 Chevy 4x4 Monster Truck "Before & After" Pictures

Me applying Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax using a Meguiar's G110v2 Dual Action Polisher with a 5.5" Lake Country Blue Waxing pad.

Mike,
    Can you do a how-to on soft paints, steps in identifying soft paints (ie cloudiness of paint), and go-to products if we encounter said problem? Seems to be a big topic around here as of recent. I myself (newbie detailer) did a car this weekend and I couldnt understand why it was clouding up and causing such micromarring.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have just jumped on a DA with a finishing polish and your done.
    Zapa's Detailing- In purist of perfection
    https://www.facebook.com/ZapasDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

i know AG doesnt carry it, but Scholl Concepts S3 Gold is the best product for soft paint IMO.
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primo spaghetti View Post
    i know AG doesnt carry it, but Scholl Concepts S3 Gold is the best product for soft paint IMO.
    I read the reviews, it looks great, thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

no problemo...im sure at some point AG will also wrestle this great product away from the smaller vendors currently selling it!
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune