autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking for good polisher!

Hello, I am new to detailing but have a friend helping me out but I am trying to do the finding/buying equipment on my own so I can learn more. Read a lot more and watch a lot of videos that I may not watch if he told me everything to buy. I am getting laid off next month so I plan on trying to do this as a business so I am looking to spend a little more than I would if it was just personal. So far I have been looking at the Makita 9227c rotary polisher 8.5 pad kit or Flex L3403 VRG rotary polisher.
    They are both around the same price but I know the video says to use the smaller pads with the FLEX. Im also going to buy the MYTEE Lite 2 8070 extractor. Your thoughts on the polisher would be great, Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for good polisher!

Quote Originally Posted by jwilson534 View Post
    Hello, I am new to detailing but have a friend helping me out but I am trying to do the finding/buying equipment on my own so I can learn more. Read a lot more and watch a lot of videos that I may not watch if he told me everything to buy. I am getting laid off next month so I plan on trying to do this as a business so I am looking to spend a little more than I would if it was just personal. So far I have been looking at the Makita 9227c rotary polisher 8.5 pad kit or Flex L3403 VRG rotary polisher.
    They are both around the same price but I know the video says to use the smaller pads with the FLEX. Im also going to buy the MYTEE Lite 2 8070 extractor. Your thoughts on the polisher would be great, Thanks!
    What is it you like about those two buffers? Will you primarily be using it on automotive paint? Have you used a rotary or DA buffer before?

The 3403 has a pretty high rpm range. The 14-2 goes down to 600 rpms. I don't think you'll use anything above 1600 rpm on paint. You might consider the Flex 3401 DA but it's direct drive.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I will be using it on cars/trucks. I just read a lot about DA polishers not working well on deeper scratches so I figured I'd buy both a rotary and then get a DA for cars that don't have deep scratches. I've never used any buffer before but my buddy has an old truck I'm going to learn on and I am going to get some old hoods from junk yard. Being off work ill have plenty of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Harbor Freight is your friend. I'd save some money to get all the chems that you would need since good polishers with no good chems will render your efforts useless.
    FINESSE AUTO DETAIL

Technique vs. Product = Technique always wins

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I have money for good chems also... I'm working on a $3k-$4k budget to start up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, then you are set. Just get both the 3401 and 3403. Then you're golden.

Although you mentioned that you are pretty inexperienced with buffers in general I would still recommend the HF DA polisher for you to learn on. Its $59 and its more powerful than a PC DA 7424 so when you are ready to move up to the DD DA polisher you can use the HF for brushing carpets or put a 3" backing plate and use it for smaller areas.
    FINESSE AUTO DETAIL

Technique vs. Product = Technique always wins

Post Thanks / Like

You'll need a variety of tools and the polishers are something I'd call an investment. Polishers aren't cheap and can be purchased over time. If a rotary is a must then go with either the Makita 9227 or the Flex PE14.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

So I thought, ok... I'm going with the flex pe14 and then I read all this hype about rupes 21... Your thoughts between the 2?

Post Thanks / Like

So I thought, ok... I'm going with the flex pe14 and then I read all this hype about rupes 21... Your thoughts between the 2?
    The Flex PE14 is a rotary and the Rupes is a dual action machine offering 2 orbital sizes; 15mm and 21mm throw or orbit size.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

Yes I will be using it on cars/trucks.

Production detailing? As in doing one-steps to daily drivers to reduce time invested to maximize profits?

Or show car detailing, where you have customers willing to pay for your time to do 3-4 steps to JUST THE PAINT?

If you're doing production detailing, get the Flex 3401, it's a direct driver dual action polisher and will enable you to knock out cars fast whether you do one, two or three steps.

One-step with a cleaner/wax and the Flex 3401...

How to use a one-step cleaner/wax to maximize profits

Multi-step with the Flex 3401

Christmas Detail - Ferrari P4 - Move over Rudolf

If you're doing show car work, then get a rotary buffer and a good DA Polisher, you can tackle anything with these two tools and always finish out swirl free.

Multiple step using a rotary buffer and a DA Polisher

1951 Mercury - Black Lacquer Paint - Extreme Makeover

Getting some hood from a body shop or salvage yard is a good idea if you're just starting out with any tool...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast