autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rotary Only High Gloss Shots

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    In the end its all about selling you more stuff
    How do you figure?
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by master detailer View Post
    In the end its all about selling you more stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Rotary Only High Gloss Shots

Quote Originally Posted by Joshs2013MSAltimaSL View Post
    Hello all.

Thought about starting a thread for others to view and post their final shots after finishing down with a rotary. Learning to finish down with a rotary takes some practice, but once you've mastered it, there's nothing better than seeing that high gloss finish that only a rotary can give you!

These are post two IPA wipe downs:

Very nice work indeed. I like using a rotary BTW what rotary odd you use. I've been pretty fond of the LC pads as well but plan to try the new CG Hex pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Josh,

You said this, speaking of finishing 100% swirl free with a rotary...

"Now the caveat to this would be different types of paint as some may not finish hologram free no matter how good you are. " (found here http://www.live2detail.com/showthread.php?4366-Using-A-Rotary-To-Finish )

Why did you say this over on the L2D fourm yet you failed to give Mr. Phillips credit for saying the same thing here on AG?

Mike most certainly has stated numerous times that 100% swirl free finishing can be accomplished. He's also stated he doesn't believe anyone (that means anyone who polishes paint) can do it on every paint system (those from yesteryear and tomorrow).

It seems some people's comprehension skill are completely intact, to my surprise, yet they continue to try and twist someones words to try and gloat in their own glory...to win an arguement that means nothing.

It seems you had an agenda, but you own words defy you. Your gig is up.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I know I don't have the post counts as high as some of you guys but fair is fair.

Hoytman is right. Mike never said it was impossible. This is what he said...

"Trying to finish out hologram free with ONLY a rotary buffer is more difficult and the only way you will ever know if you did finish out hologram free is to chemically strip the paint and inspect in very good light. Most people don't do this step only to find out down the road they left holograms in the paint."

As far as Mike's challenge for proof, he was referring to those who claim they can finish every car holograms free with a rotary. Again, this is what he said.....

"Over the years I've see a lot of people claim they can buff out every car hologram-free no exceptions. I never believe them because I've done too much testing that proves otherwise.

Besides my own testing, always on black paint, I cannot recall a single time where a person claimed they can produce a hologram-free finish on every car ever back it up with proof."

I personally don't see anything wrong with these statements but even if they are wrong....going to another forum to bash him is crossing the line (Not to mention calling a fellow AG member an idiot and that AG caters to noobs). I personally didn't like how he ,indirectly, asked the members there to chimed in here.
    Last edited by psnt1ol; 12-07-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case the powers that be on L2D decide to erase my comments, and just to show transparency, here's what I posted on the L2D forum after reading only the opening post in the thread there.

"I beg your pardon...

For those of you that weren't paying attention to the actual words written on the AG forum, I fail to see where Flannigan, Josh, or Mike Phillips said finishing hologram free can't be done. That is NOT what MikeP said and two guys took his words completely out of context.

What I did see was a lot of twisting of Mike Phillips' words.

Before I go off on my rant there's some people I want to thank for their kindness and generosity on this forum. Some of you folks, visit other forums that I'm a member of. Many of you know I mostly frequent AG...simply because that's the forum I found first.
    The members I'd like to thank, because you've given me advice on products, products, advice on technique, among other things are;
    richy, BobbyG, C. Charles Hahn (not sure if he's a member here), Matt in Midltwn, rwright, CeeDog, and probably a few others that I've missed.

I don't know anyone on any forum personally other than those I met at a recent get-together. I joined forums because; detailing is something I enjoy doing on my own cars, I learn something everyday from detailing forums, and the comraderi...or so I thought.

Today I've been reading a few threads on another forum. At first I laughed at some of the responses. Oh...by the way...before any of you think I'm trying to take up for anyone in particular, that's not my job. But there are a few claims I want to address...

As I read the posts over on AGO, at first I thought these guys can't be serious to think that Mike Phillips is saying a 100% swirl free finish isn't possible, but sure enough as the thread unfolded that's exactly how they were portraying MikeP's words. Heck, even Joe@SuperiorShine said some finishes can be dificult. Joe even stated he can mostly finish swirl free on many finishes, yet not all, and MikeP acknowledged that as well. So to me, it was all good...and apparently Joe is really that good. LOL!!! Good for Joe, I like him.

I kept thinking that's not what Mike Phillips said, nor what he wrote, and someones comprehension skills are lacking and they need to check those comprehension skills at the door. At first I laughed. Then Josh and Flannigan ended up posting there own threads ( and I even liked their photos of their work), but their posts were all with an agenda and I decided not to post. Their threads, turned out to give the impression that they can create a swirl free finish every time and that Mike says it can't be done. At least that's the image they tried to portray over on AG, that they can do it while saying that Mike stated it couldn't be done (which wasn't correct)...

...yet Josh contradicts himself right off the bat in this thread.(on the L2D forum)

However, I kept wating for one of them to acknowledge over on AGO that Mike said, "every paint system" when he mentioned that in that thread on AG, and in numerous past threads there as well.

Of course, after seeing how bent these guys were in making a point that doesn't amount to a hill of beans, my thought then became that these guys were acting like elementary kids by posting away trying to make their point, all the while knowing Mike is in Nebraska and is very busy at the moment...as if they just had to seize the moment and get their digs in while he was gone.

Then when I get on L2D tonight, since I hadn't posted here in awhile (just wanting to visit here to get away from AG for a bit), I see that in fact my thought is confirmed. Childish...

Josh has actually acknowledged here in the op of this thread (of L2D) and I quote, "Now the caveat to this would be different types of paint as some may not finish hologram free no matter how good you are, " yet he never once even hinted of giving Mike Phillips credit for saying the same thing over on the AG forum.

It turns out Josh did go to school and it now seems he passed reading comprehension class. However, he failed the course in honesty.

Now the question remains Josh, why didn't you confirm your understanding of Mike's comments over on the AG forum, just as you've done here on the L2D forum, instead of twisting his comments?

I'm not taking up for Mr. Phillips. He's big enough to do that on his own. However, I do see where someone has purposefully twisted another persons words to promote an arguement that isn't worth argueing. All to prove what? For what reason? I had no intention of posting on this issue anywhere, but blatent deceit needs to be called out. You did it to yourself Josh.

If you want to use a rotary all the time do it. It looks like you're doing fine with it. Just don't misrepresent someone's comments and take them out of context, post one thing on one forum and something entirely different on another forum. Mike didn't say you couldn't do it, he in fact said for you and anyone else to prove it. What's wrong with him saying that? He's entitled to ask that. Heck, there's plenty of guys who work in shops around here that claim they too can do it, but the proof is in the pudding when I show them their work a month later. Of course, the car owner always did something to the car. Yeah, right they did.

I certainly hope that L2D doesn't promote this sort of childish crap...nothing more than people running there mouth just to make someone look bad and try and make themselves look good. I'm not trying to make you look bad Josh, that's not why I visited here this evening, but you've done a bang-up job of showing your own rear-end.

Hey richy,

I need to know if you're in agreement with these guys? Aren't you a board member here or something? If you agree with these guys...count me out of L2D (thanks for the invite) and I'll be sending a replacement for the product you sent me. No grudges against you my friend, or even Flann and Josh. What those guys said isn't personal with me, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'm not hangin' around where this crap is let go. Josh is absolutely in the wrong and he owes Mike a public apology...of which I don't care what he does...but that would be the right thing to do as a man. "
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

And more of my comments on the L2D thread in response to a board members post there, and after seeing all of the uncalled for posts.

Again, for the sake of transparency in case L2D decides to delete my posts or pull the entire thread.

I don't care what AGO does with all of this after this.

My last comments on L2D come after 4 pages of posts with spiteful words from forum members...

"I'm sorry I singled you out %&#%. Wasn't certain if you were a board member and condoned the sort of crap in the quote above, but it seems this board member condones it.

Nothing personal *A%&$@#% &$#@&t*...I don't even know you, but to me your comments as a board member of anything lack professionalism.

Hmmnn...all over something we all have in common.

I have no allegiance to anyone, or any forum. Certainly not this (L2D) forum any longer.

Lots of true colors shown in this thread. Haters gotta hate...and I'll have no part of it. "

A good name is all I have in life , and at the end of my journey...a good name is better than riches and gold...character is all I have, regardless of what I have.
    Last edited by Hoytman; 12-07-2012 at 05:27 AM.
    Bill

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Very nice work indeed. I like using a rotary BTW what rotary odd you use. I've been pretty fond of the LC pads as well but plan to try the new CG Hex pads.
    Hi Magnus! I use a Dewalt 849. I've only used LC pads since I started detailing. I don't see any reason to change, though I may change from CCS to flat pads in the near future.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Super Member Joshs2013MSAltimaSL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your posts Hoytman. Unfortunately that other thread got locked so no more posts can be added. I was hoping that by starting a brand new thread about the same topic would actually continue on the discussion, and you so generously did so.

Now to discuss what you said about comprehension skills...if you go back and read the thread that recently got locked, you should be able to comprehend how all of this got started by MP. It started in the 8th post of the thread. Someone posts up that the problem is trying to use a rotary to finish with 105 and 205 and that the person needed to use a DA. What was MP's response? That he agrees with it. C'mon now.

Oh...and to go along with the whole comprehension and reading thing you talked about...perhaps you should go back to that thread and look at post #31...I believe you'll be able to see where I wrote "Now in some cases the type of paint you're working on may require the use of a DA to finish, but that would be discovered with your test spot."

To sit on a detailing forum and read some of the garbage that is posted up is ridiculous. For someone to blatently say that finishing hologram free with a rotary is impossible and then have someone who is a so called "expert" back it up is even worse. Mike is going to sit here and post up about how to finish hologram free on black paint; and to check your finish under direct sunlight, and then show all of his after shots inside with just a camera flash? Give me a break.

The problem with this forum is that it's too political. Things start going a little south or a few members call out these "experts" and we get warned that we're going to get a time out. How foolish. If you don't want to get called out, then don't post up bullcrap information.

And on top of that, the arrogance from this "expert" is not needed. If you'd like to continue adding fuel to the fire, please do...I'm sure we can get others from L2D to chime in as well; that is of course if we're not banned for posting a link to another forum...
    Last edited by Joshs2013MSAltimaSL; 12-07-2012 at 07:54 AM.
    Be sure to check out http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-everyone.html. All pictures are welcome!!

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have taken this topic far enough, enough threads, your points have been made now let's move on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12