autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Harbor Freight Rotary Buffer

Hello Everyone! I have been reading alot of threads on this forum and it has some really great info! Glad I could be part of this. Now...to the point....I went to harbor freight a few week back and bought the following electronic rotary polisher (this is the link): 7" Electronic Polisher
    Now, I will admit I am a complete newbie with polishing and with that said...I did purchase the Porter Cable DA polisher but one of the biggest things I hate about it is the vibration. That was the reason I picked a cheap rotary buffer from HF to see how it is. I bought a Meguiars W64 backing plate for it and was using Meguiars W8006 pads to polish my father's car. Don't worry...my father doesn't really care what happens to the car. One of the things I noticed about the machine is that it does bog down even when applying even little pressure. I really don't want to go past 2000 RPM to get the proper RPM when the machine is on the car because I really don't want to burn the paint so my question to everybody is has anybody used this rotary buffer with success like a Makita or a Dewalt? And if so, what type of pads and backing plates do you guys use? Any tips on RPMs for this rotary buffer? Finally, would I have better success with a Makita or Dewalt? I really like the feeling of a rotary buffer because of less vibration. It was a little tough to control it at first but I quickly learned that slightly tilting the pad will help move the buffer in the direction you want it to. Its my first post...so go easy on me!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Rotary Buffer

Quote Originally Posted by kemefk View Post
    Hello Everyone! I have been reading alot of threads on this forum and it has some really great info! Glad I could be part of this. Now...to the point....I went to harbor freight a few week back and bought the following electronic rotary polisher (this is the link): 7" Electronic Polisher
    Now, I will admit I am a complete newbie with polishing and with that said...I did purchase the Porter Cable DA polisher but one of the biggest things I hate about it is the vibration. That was the reason I picked a cheap rotary buffer from HF to see how it is. I bought a Meguiars W64 backing plate for it and was using Meguiars W8006 pads to polish my father's car. Don't worry...my father doesn't really care what happens to the car. One of the things I noticed about the machine is that it does bog down even when applying even little pressure. I really don't want to go past 2000 RPM to get the proper RPM when the machine is on the car because I really don't want to burn the paint so my question to everybody is has anybody used this rotary buffer with success like a Makita or a Dewalt? And if so, what type of pads and backing plates do you guys use? Any tips on RPMs for this rotary buffer? Finally, would I have better success with a Makita or Dewalt? I really like the feeling of a rotary buffer because of less vibration. It was a little tough to control it at first but I quickly learned that slightly tilting the pad will help move the buffer in the direction you want it to. Its my first post...so go easy on me!
    Ok, will go easy.
    Please read the rules of posting to this forum, as in no links to other sites hawking products for sale..
    2013 Infinity JX35 White Pearl, 2009 BMW 528XI White
    1969 Primrose Yellow 4.2 XKE
    2002 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 7.3

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! To the point lol you bought a cheap buffer...electrical things from HF are not the best of quality....less vibration but much more muscle to control the buffer. they have there pros and cons.

Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for. sounds like the HF buffer doesnt not have forced rotation like rotary polishers like makita, dewalt, etc would.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Largebore, I only linked it so people would know which buffer I am talking about. The only reason I got it is because I just wanted to see how it worked. I really didn't want to spend $200 dollars on a professional machine to find out later that I did not like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Save up and buy a real rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Largebore, I only linked it so people would know which buffer I am talking about. The only reason I got it is because I just wanted to see how it worked. I really didn't want to spend $200 dollars on a professional machine to find out later that I did not like it.
    No problem, just letting you know that there are some rules that are pretty important to be aware of....

Post Thanks / Like

Largebore, can you point me the direction where the forum rules are so that I don't make stupid mistakes like that again. I am having a tough time finding it. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Largebore, can you point me the direction where the forum rules are so that I don't make stupid mistakes like that again. I am having a tough time finding it. Thank you.

ha that is a good question... I will ask

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...rum-rules.html

Welcome to Autogeek Online though! If you already have the a Porter Cable, just stick with that for now. It does take some getting use to. But it is well worth it. Don't jump straight for a rotary and go using it on someones car. Get some junk panels and get the feel for it.
    Ryan 2006 Volvo S60 R

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast