autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor Freight Rotary Buffer

A couple of things I think I should chime in on.

You almost never want to tilt the pad on a rotary buffer. You won't evenly polish the paint and you will cause holograms.

The only time a porter cable vibrates like what you are describing is when you are using too large of a backing plate and pad or too heavy.

The porter cable performs best with a 5.5 inch pad and slightly smaller backing plate.

Some guys use larger pads but you will get more vibration and the machine wont polish as efficiently.

I guess you have to start somewhere, but the stuff you are saying is scaring me man!

Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    A couple of things I think I should chime in on.

You almost never want to tilt the pad on a rotary buffer. You won't evenly polish the paint and you will cause holograms.

The only time a porter cable vibrates like what you are describing is when you are using too large of a backing plate and pad or too heavy.

The porter cable performs best with a 5.5 inch pad and slightly smaller backing plate.

Some guys use larger pads but you will get more vibration and the machine wont polish as efficiently.

I guess you have to start somewhere, but the stuff you are saying is scaring me man!

Good luck to you.
    I am not really tilting the pad where there is a significant angle. It tilt it about 1 or 2 degrees relative to the car surface. That way, it helps me maneuver the buffer. Otherwise, the pad is always flat to the paint surface. I am using the 6 in DA backing plate that I purchased from AutoGeek since I bought the 6.5" LC CCS pads. Maybe that was my mistake. Maybe I should of purchased the 5" or the 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said, there are guys using 6 in backing plates and 6.5 inch pads, but I think, from what you are describing, you'll be happier with a smaller backing plate and pad.

Anybody else want to chime in on the pad tilting thing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post
    Like I said, there are guys using 6 in backing plates and 6.5 inch pads, but I think, from what you are describing, you'll be happier with a smaller backing plate and pad.

Anybody else want to chime in on the pad tilting thing?

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep that in mind for my next purchase at AG.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest wearing gloves when using your Porter Cable. It minimizes the vibrations. That's what I do when I use it cause it leaves my hands "tingly".

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the HF buffer isn't a bad unit to play around with, as long as you live within its limitations. I bought one a while ago to load with small pads for headlights. Having a cabinet full of USA-made power tools, I didn't expect much, but was pleasantly surprised. I had to adjust the gearcase backlash and lube everything to quiet it down. Keep your pad size small, as full-size rotary pads will bog the machine down with the least pressure. 4, 5 or 6 inch pads are easier to work with, though you still need to keep a finger or thumb on the speed wheel to wind it up when necessary. I don't use mine for serious correction, as I have another rotary, but if this was my only buffer, I'd stay with SMAT products such as M105. SMAT compounds tend to be less finicky about speed variations IMO, and speed variations are inherent with a sub-$50 machine. As I grow older, I find myself reaching for my HF POS more and more for AIO jobs and lighter polishes, primarily due to the lighter weight and subsequent controlability. I'll never be without a rotary, since that's what I originally learned with 40 years ago, so I guess it's time to save my pennies for a Flex.
    Bottom-line, be aware of the limitations, do your research and observe proper precautions, but have fun using your cheapie HF while you decide if you really want to commit to a serious buffer. Any experience you gather will always be helpful in the future regardless of the unit you upgrade to.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought I'd chime in.

I use the HF rotary and haven't had any problems with it. Worked great when I needed more power than the porter cable. It's a night and day difference.

It does slow down under load quite a bit, but I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist..

I did switch out the backing plate right away to utilize my 5.5 pads. This helped to control the machine a bunch. After a lot of practice you'll get better with it. A rotary does take skill to master.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the great info! I plan to keep practicing with the HF buffer until I feel I am ready to make the jump to a much better buffer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have one from harbor freight i bought some cheap generic 3" pads off ebay i use m105, 205, 7, 26 no problems out of it. Wish i could afford a flex but Dave Ramsey says it can come later

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The primary reason why you choose brand name from HF is the electronic control that pushes a constant torque when pressure is applied. The cost difference is tremedous, >$120. HF rotary = $35 , brand name rotary = $155.

When you cut or polish on soft material like car paint, it doesn't matter much bc it's very little pressure. However, if you cut or polish on heavy material like wood or man made stones, that's where the constant torque controller will be handy.

I own a Makita 9227c that I used for wood and other stuff to sand but now making it a use on polishing cars. I've owned other rotary tools w/ constant torque controller and w/o and for this purpose, I strongly believe HF would do well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast