autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DeWALT DWP849X vs Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers

there is one big thing that know one is saying any thing about that is the aps that they use.Makita 9227C Rotary Buffers
    use 10aps DeWALT DWP849X use 12 aps so when you need to run the power say 200ft say in a boat yard to get to a boat, And they are running there elc from the shop and you are pluging in to one still 150 ft from that one. You can be 350 ft from the power. then if your using cheap cords well you are going to be at about 5 or 6 aps from a 20ap . this will burn up a buffer real fast and if you are trying to run 2 buffers at the same time well it is slow going. the less aps to run at full power the better and cooler it will run.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not like the makitas and would never buy another one again. After a few months the gears make funny noises, and I've noticed the the spindle gets off balance some how. I've already had to replace the RPM sensor in one of them. The spindle lock is poorly placed, causing your hand to press down on it sometimes . My friend has a dewalt, slightly older then the one in this article, his runs and sound very smooth, the balance of the spindle is perfect. The whole machine feels sturdy and well made.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the side-by-side comparison, Mike. Lots of good info.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I probably replaced the power cord a half a dozen times, each time wiring in a 25' extension cord for functionality.

I was wondering what gauge of "25' extension cord..." did you use when you replaced the cord. One day, when mine needs to be replaced, I plan to do the same thing; kind of like a 7424XP HD.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I know you've mentioned that the Makita is an old time favorite but with all the advancements in the past few years is the Makita still your go-to rotary or do you tend to choose something else?
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

If your budget only allows the purchase of one rotary buffer then a full size rotary buffer is probably the best option and at this time I think DeWALT has the best bang for the buck.

If your budget allows for more tools now or down the road it's really hard to beat the compact size and lightweight of the Flex PE14 Rotary Polisher for doing surgical buffing and intricate work.

Two different categories.

Good question.

I suggest getting both and using the right tool for the job.

Mike's articles contain so much information that at times it's hard to remember everything in the article. I like to read them several times, and even then I sometimes miss things that I may have questions to.

You will find the answers to your question in the above quote.

Hope that helps.
    Bill

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ktchristman33 View Post
    Mike, I know you've mentioned that the Makita is an old time favorite but with all the advancements in the past few years is the Makita still your go-to rotary or do you tend to choose something else?

I always grab the Flex PE14. I use it with LC 6.5" Wool Cutting Pads and love it.

If I had to buff out something large like a huge boat I'd probably grab the DeWalt 849X for the reasons I listed in my Bumblebee thread.

I also like using the Flex PE14 in my classes to train people new to the rotary buffer how to use them.

This last weekend I had four guys that were all brand new to the rotary buffer but with the compact size, light weight and small pads, they actually loved using the rotary buffer when they started out thinking it was going to be a hard tool to use.

I have to go clean and organize the garage after this last weekend's class but here's a shot of Derek and Mike using Flex PE14's for the first time after machine sanding the hood on a 1959 Impala and then putting the paint through all the steps using only rotary buffers till we machine applied the wax.

We drove the car out of the studio and into full, overhead crystal clear bright sunlight to reveal a completely hologram free finish.

More pictures laster this week...

Post Thanks / Like

I also like using the Flex PE14 in my classes to train people new to the rotary buffer how to use them.

This last weekend I had four guys that were all brand new to the rotary buffer but with the compact size, light weight and small pads, they actually loved using the rotary buffer when they started out thinking it was going to be a hard tool to use.

This is the same experience Ive had with my new rotary buffer. Got myself the Dewalt since it was a bit cheaper than the Makita plus was very quiet - almost as quiet as the Flex.

Got some training with the buffer, and now I just cant help wondering how I went on all these months without a rotary. Practising on scrap panels also helped me to get used to the motion of the rotary.

When I had first used the flex pe 14, I hadnt used a full sized buffer before that - so I never realised how good the flex is. It was only yesterday, that after using my Dewalt, I used the Flex Pe 14 and then I realised why everyone speaks good about it. Super light and superb weight distribution like a BMW. Now the pe 14 is in my Christmas shopping list

I had a query about the Dewalt DWP 849x. How long do the carbon brushes usually last? And what all maintenance issues I may face with it from time to time?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the hitachi buffer?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by masterpartha View Post

When I had first used the flex pe 14, I hadnt used a full sized buffer before that - so I never realised how good the flex is.

It was only yesterday, that after using my Dewalt, I used the Flex Pe 14 and then I realised why everyone speaks good about it.

Super light and superb weight distribution like a BMW. Now the pe 14 is in my Christmas shopping list
    Thanks for sharing the above...

Quote Originally Posted by masterpartha View Post

I had a query about the Dewalt DWP 849x. How long do the carbon brushes usually last? And what all maintenance issues I may face with it from time to time?
    The answer to the brush question is going to come down to how much you use it. Besides the brushes, keep her clean, there's really not much else you can do except maybe add a longer heavy duty cord if you're so inclined. I use to do this for my Makita before I retired her.

Quote Originally Posted by frunko1 View Post

Have you tried the hitachi buffer?

Yes I have. It's been a few years now but I remember it being lightweight, compact and quiet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast