autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Looking for a polisher...

I've used the Makita BO6040 a few times before it was permanently borrowed....

At the time I didn't much care for either mode. I first tested it out while buffing out this truck,

Custom Classic Trucks Magazine: 1956 Ford F-100 America's Most Beautiful F-100

Because it was the first time I had used the BO6040, and it didn't feel comfortable in either mode, and because the truck was important I put the tool down and used a rotary buffer to knock out all the heavy swirls and then finished out with a DA Polisher.

It's not generally a good idea, nor my practice to learn how to use a new-to-me tool on something that's important like a black show truck. I always say,

"Don't learn to use a rotary buffer on a black Viper"

Not that a person can't learn to use a rotary buffer on a black Viper but it's a better idea to learn how to use a rotary buffer, or any type of tool on something that's not important to you, like a beater, a panel off a car or even a daily driver grocery getter type vehicle. Then once you get comfortable with the tool then go for the black Viper or fill-in-the-blank.

I drove from Apple Valley, California to Escondido, California, (approximately 130 miles one way), which was where the car was located and only took the tool along to test it out. After buffing half the hood and getting a feel for the tool I chose to stop using it and switch to tools I was comfortable and already proficient with.

Shortly after that detail project the tool was stolen and never replaced so I would want more time behind it before forming an opinion.

The Flex 3401 is specifically built for paint polishing, it's not a multi-purpose tool like a DA Polisher or a Rotary Buffer and it has a strong loyal following and a time-proven quality and performance history.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post

Looking for a polisher with the BEST paint correction ability although I already have a dewalt rotary I am looking into getting a forced rotation da!

The Flex or Makita???

I would go with the Flex 3410.

• It's purposefully built for paint polishing
    • German engineering
    • The gears are each hand ground by machine and then heat treated to strict tolerances

Plus... there are now multiple backing plates and thus pad sizes available to choose from so you can match the pad type and size to the job you're doing.

Autogeek's Car of the Week - 1986 Buick Regal T-Type Turbo

When be buffed out a 1986 Buick Regal T-Type we had the opportunity to use some brand new backing plates being introduced just for the Flex 3401 by Lake Country.

The new 6" and 4" backing plates for the Flex 3401

Me tackling the roof with the Flex 3401...

Testing out the new 4" backing plate for the Flex 3401 with a 4" Tangerine Hydro-Tech Spot Repair Pad

Working around the door handle with the Flex 3401...

Results...

Autogeek's Car of the Week - 2011 Camaro - Modeled by Amy

Last Thursday we used only the Flex 3401 on a 2011 Camaro to,

• Remove swirls
    • Polish to a high gloss
    • Machine apply wax

Robert buffing out the hood...

Todd working on the driver's door

Me on the lower quarter panel...

Results...

The Flex 3401 is powerful, safe and effective.

Mike Phillips

Here's some more information about Flex quality from the President of Flex Power Tools North America from a meeting I had with Bob Eichelberg just a few months ago when he stopped by our facilities...

Rotary Buffer Talk with Bob Eichelberg from Flex Tools

Bob Eichelberg, the President of Flex Power Tools North America, stopped by Autogeek today for a meeting and after his meeting I asked him if he had some time to talk shop about rotary buffers and he politely said "yes"

Yesterday I had all the rotary buffers out to show comparative size for this thread...

So while all the rotary buffers were still out we spent some time talking about some of the differences between Flex power tools and the others you see on the work bench.

One of the things we did was one-by-one, turn each rotary buffer on, set the RPM to the lowest setting and then listen to each one as it was running.

Bob pointed out the lack of grinding noise with the Flex PE14, so I asked him why the difference?

He said the noise comes from the gears as they mesh together while the tool is running. The gears used in Flex power tools, (all their tools), are each hand ground by machine and then heat treated to strict tolerances. These extra steps,
    • Reduce noise so the tool runs quieter
    • Reduce wear-n-tear for increased working life

He also pointed out that Flex Polishers are designed and engineered specifically for automotive paint polishing instead of using a Global Manufacturing Process, which means the tools are designed for multiple applications, such as,
    • Steel grinding, sanding and cutting
    • Concrete grinding and cutting
    • Polishing paint

The Global Manufacturing Process is a one-size fits all approach so that one tool design can be marketed into multiple industries.

Bob said this is key difference that separates Flex Power Tools from others plus all Flex power tools are designed and manufactured in Germany with a 90 year reputation of German engineering quality.

I also asked him about using the PE14 in the same manner that a person would use a full-size rotary buffer, that is with a full size wool pad doing heavy cutting all day long and he said "yes".

Thought I would share our shop talk from today with all my forum friends and to be fair and balanced, anytime a representative, or even the President of any of the other companies for the tools we carry wants to stop by and talk shop the door is always open.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent advice on the Flex. I must admit I do not own one yet but when I pull the trigger (no pun intended) I will get a Flex for the reasons stated (purpose built and German engineering).

Mike P. I did notice one thing that seems somewhat of an oxy-moron while reading the above article. Can you give me a better understanding of this phrase, "...are each hand ground by machine and then..."?

Mike

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mdb917 View Post

Mike P. I did notice one thing that seems somewhat of an oxy-moron while reading the above article. Can you give me a better understanding of this phrase, "...are each hand ground by machine and then..."?

Ha ha...

I asked Bob the same question!

That means each set of gears are ground individually by machine with a human controlling the machine. At least that's how I think he explained it. The big picture idea is the gears and possibly other components are not stamped-out in a high production process.

I'll find out more and let you know.

The most eye-opening, or actually ear-opening, was the sound each of the tools made when you run them side-by-side at low RPM and with the Flex it's smooth and quite and with the other tools you can hear the growling of the gears.

Good question...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Looking for a polisher...

Why didn't you use the makita with the forced rotation mode turned off,and continue on testing out this tool...this is not making sense to me considering your lifes experience!

Checkmate!

Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I've used the Makita BO6040 a few times before it was permanently borrowed....

At the time I didn't much care for either mode. I first tested it out while buffing out this truck,

Custom Classic Trucks Magazine: 1956 Ford F-100 America's Most Beautiful F-100

Because it was the first time I had used the BO6040, and it didn't feel comfortable in either mode, and because the truck was important I put the tool down and used a rotary buffer to knock out all the heavy swirls and then finished out with a DA Polisher.

It's not generally a good idea, nor my practice to learn how to use a new-to-me tool on something that's important like a black show truck. I always say,

Not that a person can't learn to use a rotary buffer on a black Viper but it's a better idea to learn how to use a rotary buffer, or any type of tool on something that's not important to you, like a beater, a panel off a car or even a daily driver grocery getter type vehicle. Then once you get comfortable with the tool then go for the black Viper or fill-in-the-blank.

I drove from Apple Valley, California to Escondido, California, (approximately 130 miles one way), which was where the car was located and only took the tool along to test it out. After buffing half the hood and getting a feel for the tool I chose to stop using it and switch to tools I was comfortable and already proficient with.

Shortly after that detail project the tool was stolen and never replaced so I would want more time behind it before forming an opinion.

The Flex 3401 is specifically built for paint polishing, it's not a multi-purpose tool like a DA Polisher or a Rotary Buffer and it has a strong loyal following and a time-proven quality and performance history.

Post Thanks / Like

Why didn't you use the makita with the forced rotation mode turned off,and continue on testing out this tool...this is not making sense to me considering your lifes experience!

Checkmate!

Dan
    Did you not read his answer:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Thanks Ron...

Buffing out a truck like that in the condition it was in took me all day and into the night. I finished and it was getting dusk. Besides not wanting to learn the characteristics of a new tool on a true show truck, I had to move fast in order to do everything I wanted to do to the paint in one day.

Here are the after shots from that day...

Post Thanks / Like

I did read his answer!

And I came to the conclusion a da is a da and with all his experience he out of people could have had finished out this truck with the makita in da mode with out even blinking twice in fact I think one would even look forward in doing so IMOP its not a big deal,but to you..must be so....

Mike Phillips

I did read his answer!

And I came to the conclusion a da is a da and with all his experience he out of people could have had finished out this truck with the makita in da mode with out even blinking twice in fact I think one would even look forward in doing so IMOP its not a big deal

It's not big deal...

It was just my preference at the time...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast