autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely new to this; need a kit...

OK, here's my situation... I have three cars, two that I care about and one "beater" car.

1. Black Chevy Avalanche
    2. Mitsubishi Eclipse (This doesn't get driven over the winter, etc.)
    3. Saturn SL1 (my commuter/"practice technique" car)

I also have a 19' boat, gelcoat fiberglass, that I will be polishing/waxing at least once a year.

I would like to learn to polish, paint correct (repair chips/small scratches with touchup paint) properly, etc my boat and cars. Although I don't want to ever go "professional" and do anything other than my own vehicles, I'm also willing to spend a little extra to be able to do a more efficient, quicker job on my vehicles.

I am trying to figure out what kit I could get that would include everything I'd need from start to finish... I was looking at the Flex kits, but realize that I would lose the advantage of having smaller backing plates available for smaller areas. Remember, I have NO equipment right now... It also seems like the G110V2 is highly rated as well.

So, for a weekend warrior that wants good results and is completely starting from scratch, what kit would you recommend to get me started?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Completely new to this; need a kit...

Quote Originally Posted by mditt8671 View Post
    OK, here's my situation... I have three cars, two that I care about and one "beater" car.

1. Black Chevy Avalanche
    2. Mitsubishi Eclipse (This doesn't get driven over the winter, etc.)
    3. Saturn SL1 (my commuter/"practice technique" car)

I also have a 19' boat, gelcoat fiberglass, that I will be polishing/waxing at least once a year.

I would like to learn to polish, paint correct (repair chips/small scratches with touchup paint) properly, etc my boat and cars. Although I don't want to ever go "professional" and do anything other than my own vehicles, I'm also willing to spend a little extra to be able to do a more efficient, quicker job on my vehicles.

I am trying to figure out what kit I could get that would include everything I'd need from start to finish... I was looking at the Flex kits, but realize that I would lose the advantage of having smaller backing plates available for smaller areas. Remember, I have NO equipment right now... It also seems like the G110V2 is highly rated as well.

So, for a weekend warrior that wants good results and is completely starting from scratch, what kit would you recommend to get me started?

The Flex now offers a smaller backing plate.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

unless you plan on using everything in a kit, it's best to pick and choose all the items that you would use...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mditt8671 View Post
    I was looking at the Flex kits, but realize that I would lose the advantage of having smaller backing plates available for smaller areas.
    no you wont... you can always go hand mode for those tight places...

flex is an awesome machine and very versatile..even though function wise a RO/DA is catching up or even overtake..i think you'd still appreciate the experience of polishing with a flex..the power and the smoothness (no jiggling issues) of the flex is unique..think about bmw m3 vs ford focus..if parting with 310 isn't an issue.. get it