autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dynabrade random orbital polisher kit

Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    I have the Dynabrade head and used it on my Flex 3403 with great results. Bought a Rupes 21 and sold my 3403.Thought about putting it on my Makita but with the results I'm getting with the Rupes it may be time for the Dynabrade to find a new home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    Pm sent
    I don't think you will have any trouble. I would try it on the Makita first.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the tool as soon as I read about it and watched a few vids.
    IMO its all I would need to polish or correct cars.
    Have my PC but also thinking about buying me GG's D.A

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    I don't think you will have any trouble. I would try it on the Makita first.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved the tool as soon as I read about it and watched a few vids.
    IMO its all I would need to polish or correct cars.
    Have my PC but also thinking about buying me GG's D.A
    The new GG is by far the best consumer grade I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like

So many people are telling me how well it works.
    I'll let you guys know soon as I get mine which will be very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tiger View Post
    The new GG is by far the best consumer grade I have tried.

Post Thanks / Like

So many people are telling me how well it works.
    I'll let you guys know soon as I get mine which will be very soon.
    Same power as V2. They redesigned it ergonomically to put controls in the right places.
    Looking forward to your impressions. I sold my PC and my Megs G110V2 and bought two of these. I have no regrets!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brown View Post
    BY THE WAY... NONE OF THESE ATTACHMENTS CREATE A TRUE ROTARY ACTION.
    The motion is always offset. That being said... they are still killer attachments!

These babies feature a 3/4" diameter orbit. That, my friends, is 2.5 times the stroke diameter of the Porter Cable 7424XP, the Griots 10765, and the Meguiar's G110v2. So what, you say? For an accurate comparison, let's use the G110v2, as Meguiar's lists its speed settings specifically:

1=1800 OPM / 2=2800 OPM / 3=3800 OPM / 4=4800 OPM / 5=5800 OPM / 6=6800 OPM

Let us assume that you want to run either machine at full speed in hopes of maximizing cutting or leveling power (it doesn't always work that way, but most times it does). It seems as though the Dynabrade attachment in forced rotation mode is the weakling among the two- and it is, if we are comparing how many times the backing plate would orbit around the driveshaft spindle.

If your goal is to repetitively rub a buffing pad across a patch of paint, the G110v2 will be superior. But, what is your purpose? Fine polishing of the area, or rapid removal of paint? If you are hoping to super-polish a surface so that it is visually glossier, you shouldn't be running the machine at full gait anyway. Look at this diagram to better understand why:

Lower the orbits per minute (OPM) but increase the pad speed at the edge, and you'll get a smoother polishing transition curve, yet gain cutting or leveling power. Pretty interesting.

So, let's be more realistic with our speed setting, and set the speed dial somewhere in the middle, perhaps an even 4,800 OPM, (which is speed setting 4 on the G110v2).

The G110v2 still delivers more repetetive rubbing of the paint than the Dynabrade, but when we compare the speed in which the outer edge of the backing plate is moving... it's a different story. Recall that the Dynabrade's stroke diameter is 2.5 times that of the G110v2. In order to equal the speed in which a point on the backing would be moving on the smaller machine, we would only need to set the rotary to 1,920 RPM to equal the 4,800 RPM delivered by the G110v2. Bump the speed dial all the way to 3,000 RPM on the rotary, and you've got an equivalent speed of 7,500 OPM with the smaller machines, which is a number they do not achieve. Speed increases force, and force keeps things moving when resistance is encountered. Ta-da! We've got serious cutting power, baby.

If you opt for the Dual Action Buffing Head and run it in locked mode, your machine will deliver a 1:1 ratio of rotations to orbits. That's some massive cutting power.
    Hi Kevin!
    Your typical rotary buffer (DeWalt DW849, Makita 9227C) can deliver up to 3,000 revolutions of the backing plate per minute and 3,000 orbits per minute. My best guess puts a loosely set-up random orbital at a maximum of 12 turns per second using the maximum speed setting, or 720 RPM and 6,800 OPM. That's using a 5.5" D/A Microfiber Disc or a Surbuf pad (good luck getting that level of speed with a foam pad).

All in all, the Dynabrade attachment is likely the most under-used yet ultra-capable machine on the market. It looks heavy, though, so most guys thinks it's going to feel bulky. Sure, it's bigger, but even though you'll be using a larger and heavier machine, the leverage is better, and high speed vibration is greatly diminished compared to the smaller and lighter machines, especially if you tend to run 'em wide open all the time.
    Hi Kevin!
    The eccentric has a constant physical size. Do you think through what this physical size is reduced by your pictures?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kevin!

I want to remind you one more thing, is the size of the eccentric on the machine you're talking about - 7mm.

I do not think you could stretch without magic (increase) this physical parameter ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112