autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Only Using Wool Pads For Rotary

I have only used wool pads for heavy compounding and was wanting to try them out for polishing and finishing. Has anyone else used wool for light polishing instead of foam pads? I was thinking about trying the edge wool double sided polishing pads but i never see anyone use them in the forums so there is no good reviews that I can find!

Thanks!
    David

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Only Using Wool Pads For Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post
    I have only used wool pads for heavy compounding and was wanting to try them out for polishing and finishing. Has anyone else used wool for light polishing instead of foam pads? I was thinking about trying the edge wool double sided polishing pads but i never see anyone use them in the forums so there is no good reviews that I can find!

Thanks!
    Every tool has its intended purpose. Just like you can't expect a blue or gray LCC pad to do any correction, you would be remiss to attempt to use a wool pad for polishing or jeweling. A white or green LCC foam pad after wool with any good polish will eliminate any compounding marks and leave the finish in great condition.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Richy i wasnt talking about a heavy cut wool compounding pad i was wondering about the edge wool polishing pads to use with polishes not compounds....I was wondering who has tried these pads instead of CCS or foam for polishing or finishing.

Green Light Cut 40% Wool, 20% Acrylic, 40% Rayon Pad
    The green pad produces beautiful results with one step cleaner polishes. It has enough cut for cleaning the removing very light imperfections on paints that are in overall good condition.

Blue Finishing 70% Acrylic, 30% Wool Pad
    Use the blue pad for general polishing and gloss-enhancement. The blue pad can be used with any finishing polish to bring out a fine luster on any finish.

White Ultrafine Finishing Australian Lambswool Pad
    One of a kind! This silky 100% lambswool pad adds a mirror-like glow to the paint. Use the baby-soft lambswool pad with a glaze or ultrafine finishing polish. This should be the last pad that touches your paint before wax application.
    David

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity View Post

Thanks!
    Wool finishing pads work great as a follow-up to a wool cutting pad to refine the swirls left by a wool cutting pad to more shallow swirls left by the finer fibers of a wool finishing or polishing pad.

The problem you run into is because wool pads are made of individual fibers, each fiber can cut the paint and this leaves buffer swirls in paint.

That said, for some work or some detailers, a 100% swirl free finish may not be their goal, so for them a wool polishing pad is a great follow-up pad after a wool cutting pad.

You could also use a foam pad after the wool finishing pad to remove the swirls left by the wool fibers. Just depends upon your goal and now many steps you want to do.