autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of buying a cheap rotary, questions..

The $40 dollar one from harbor freight. I'd buy a cheap one initially just to see if I like a rotary. If I do, I'll spring for the Makita 9227, definitely. It comes with a 7" hook and loop backing plate. Does anyone know if I can change it? Also, is there any advantage of buying Flat pads vs. CCS pads with a rotary, or vice versa?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thinking of buying a cheap rotary, questions..

CCS will theoretically help avoid overheating the paint (which can be a concern on a rotary).
    You still need to keep your eye on the paint though. check the temp with your hand often. (especially while learning your rotary)
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Do not buy a cheap rotary. Just save and buy quality, trust me. I am a machine polisher enthusiast and I have seen first hand how cheap rotaries are like. You CANNOT apply pressure to them and have to use ONLY the edge of the pad to get correction done. They are not worth it... and you will be inducing more damage on your paint by doing this.
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Besides... you cannot even compare a cheap rotary against a quality one.... so you will base your experience off the cheap one instead of experimenting a quality one
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to think it's a good learning tool. Really only to be used on your practice peices (junk yard buys). You get to learn the "feel" of a rotary. When you're ready to bump up to correction on customers cars you can buy the real thing. Then, your cheapy is a good pad drying tool.

Now of course if you have the $200 now, go ahead and get to practicing with the Makita.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VR8 View Post
    I tend to think it's a good learning tool. Really only to be used on your practice peices (junk yard buys). You get to learn the "feel" of a rotary. When you're ready to bump up to correction on customers cars you can buy the real thing. Then, your cheapy is a good pad drying tool.

Now of course if you have the $200 now, go ahead and get to practicing with the Makita.
    Yeah but cheaper rotaries do not function like quality rotaries... so he won't neccessarily get a "feel" of what a true rotary is like.

Post Thanks / Like

I beg to differ Lincoln.

O.C.Detailing (Lynchburg, VA.) - 1987 Mercedes 300 SDL (Acrylic overspray removal HELL!) 77 Pics!!!

That entire car was done with my Chicago Tools rotary. So yeah, if you don't want to invest a ton of money, then go with the Chicago tools rotary JUST to learn how to use one. Just make sure you invest in a quality rotary if you TRULY want to use one professionally. You can switch backing plates and such just like any other rotary and you might get lucky and get one for $29.99 like I did.

When I have the money, I will be buying a Makita, but at the time, I wanted to test out a rotary just to see if I even wanted one before I really invested $200+ into a quality rotary and it fit the bill. It's a little less powerful than the makita, but you can put plenty of pressure on it without slowing it, just if you smell something burning, you may want to let up on the pressure a bit as that would be the electricals being too stressed. Remember, it is NOT a Makita, so try not to treat it like one. The more you use it though, the better my Chicago Tools rotary seems to be. Anyway, good luck either way.
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    I beg to differ Lincoln.

O.C.Detailing (Lynchburg, VA.) - 1987 Mercedes 300 SDL (Acrylic overspray removal HELL!) 77 Pics!!!

That entire car was done with my Chicago Tools rotary. So yeah, if you don't want to invest a ton of money, then go with the Chicago tools rotary JUST to learn how to use one. Just make sure you invest in a quality rotary if you TRULY want to use one professionally. You can switch backing plates and such just like any other rotary and you might get lucky and get one for $29.99 like I did.

When I have the money, I will be buying a Makita, but at the time, I wanted to test out a rotary just to see if I even wanted one before I really invested $200+ into a quality rotary and it fit the bill. It's a little less powerful than the makita, but you can put plenty of pressure on it without slowing it, just if you smell something burning, you may want to let up on the pressure a bit as that would be the electricals being too stressed. Remember, it is NOT a Makita, so try not to treat it like one. The more you use it though, the better my Chicago Tools rotary seems to be. Anyway, good luck either way.
    Thanks for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

When my old rotary broke, I replaced it with a $30 one from a place in Canada called XS Cargo. I used it a lot for 2 years when it eventually broke. It was a light machine and easy to use. I replaced it with a Dynabrade which is a heavy beast of a work horse and I love it. For a time though, the cheap one did me just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    I beg to differ Lincoln.

Sorry. Maybe it is just because I am so used to Dewalt's, I just find anything less quality so "cheap." Then again, I first learned on a quality buffer, so I can see why you could get away learning on a $30 one. But yeah O.C., my next investment is going to be a Makita because the Dewalt is just so heavy on my back when doing the side panels. Rotaries are quite easy once you are used to them and know what you are doing Z-06.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast