autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

holograms all over a 2007 Honda Laguna Blue Pearl S2000

Holograms all over a 2007 Honda Laguna Blue Pearl S2000

Hello everyone, as some of you know Im new to detailing and new to rotary buffer (makita). I did my 1st two details begining of this week. one was a 08 vw passat sliver, which came out goood. but my friend's S2000 came out with halograms everywhere. The car has moderate imperfections. meaning wash*clay*swirl removal* polish* glaze* wax* QD*

here what went wrong* detail started at 4pm-9pm. we was in a hurry, so I learn my lesson: either do it right or no do it.

1. foam wash, two bucket hand wash, top to button, flood rinse car, QD it down and dry top to button, blow dry.
    2. clay with lube
    3. QD it down and dry
    4. Makita buffer * at 1500 rpm* White LC 8.5 foam pad* Meg 205 * consider me moving buffer too quickly.
    5. Makita buffer * at 1200 rpm* Black LC 8.5 foam pad* Four Star Machine Glaze & Polish *
    6. when back and fix some halogram, successfully on hood with step 5 by moving slowly.
    7. QD it down and Wax with Meg M16.

so now I have a PC with edge double side foam pads kit, I like to use the PC and fix it. question is HOW? I have Meg 83 105 205, and whole line of four star product in 16oz

or

with the rotary again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: holograms all over a 2007 Honda Laguna Blue Pearl S2000

As you said in #4, you probably did not cover all the defect by moving the buffer too quickly. Don't be afraid to move slowly... that is what practice panels are for so you know how slow you know to go without heating up the panel too hot or burning it. Going fast is not going to correct anything... not sure if you have practiced on old panels yet but it will indeed help you out...
    2006 Lincoln Zephyr- 28% Solar Guard Charcoal tint, Pioneer DVD player/In-dash, Boston Acoustics component 5x7's

Future Ride- Either the 2008-09 Mustang Shelby GT or base Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnZephyr2006 View Post
    As you said in #4, you probably did not cover all the defect by moving the buffer too quickly. Don't be afraid to move slowly... that is what practice panels are for so you know how slow you know to go without heating up the panel too hot or burning it. Going fast is not going to correct anything... not sure if you have practiced on old panels yet but it will indeed help you out...

I did practiced on panels before this, we are planing to correct the holograms at 12/28 with the PC. my plan is use the PC with the Edge double side 6in White pad at speed 4 or 5 with Four Star Machine Glaze & Polish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnZephyr2006 View Post
    flb, you can do as stated above or just use your pc with 205 to finish down with no holos. BTW do 18X18 areas at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use M205 with the finishing pad/PC instead of Four Star. Speed 5-6 with moderate/light pressure and you should be golden. Luckily the paint on these cars is very soft, so it should not be hard to correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    I would use M205 with the finishing pad/PC instead of Four Star. Speed 5-6 with moderate/light pressure and you should be golden..

Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt@autogeek.net View Post
    I would use M205 with the finishing pad/PC instead of Four Star. Speed 5-6 with moderate/light pressure and you should be golden. Luckily the paint on these cars is very soft, so it should not be hard to correct.
    I agree. If after this step you are not removing the holo's then keep using M205, but switch to a polishing pad.

Mike Phillips

It's really hard to finish out 100% swirl-free with just a rotary buffer especially if you inspect for swirls after the last rotary buffers step.

Some people just wax afterwards and don't see them and think they're creating swirl free finishes.

Do like the others posted and switch over to the PC and re-polish each square inch on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting with one of the swirl mark removers you have.

Do a TEST SPOT first and make sure your pad and product combo is truly removing the swirls before going over the entire car.

Removing swirls means removing paint and how much paint you have to remove with the PC depends upon how deep the swirls are that you put into the paint. The more coarse or aggressive your compound abrasives, the more tatty or worn you buffing pad is and the harder you press, these are all factors that can make deeper swirls.

So test first and once you dial in a successful recipe then go over the entire car.

After you do you test spot, wipe the spot down with some Isopropyl Alcohol or some Mineral Spirits or wash with a detergent was and make sure the paint still looks swirl free after stripping it.

Don't worry if stripping it makes it look less glossy as that's normal, you can easily restore the gloss, what's important is to make shure you're removing all the swirls.

Mike Phillips

And for all the lurkers reading this wondering about swirls and rotary buffers and dual action polishers... read through these two recent threads...

What am I doing wrong - Holograms after using the rotary buffer

and

4 part process still has swirls?

Notice how in both threads, the person started out with a rotary buffer and ended up with swirls. Then they switched to a dual action polisher, (the changed the action of the tool they were using), and then the were successful at creating a swirl free finish.

Note the dialog all the way through each thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, these two cars I detailed are both my friends. The passat owner inform me that there are white residue on rubber seals around the windows, I did use tape, but guess I didn't do a good job. I don't really know how to pick up a line of product, I spread it and mist the pad, therfore it can be messy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast