autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: holograms all over a 2007 Honda Laguna Blue Pearl S2000

I don't think I need to use compound, the s2000 is in moderate condition

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by flb18r View Post

we are planing to correct the holograms at 12/28 with the PC.
    This is a good next step at this point in the projects.

my plan is use the PC with the Edge double side 6in White pad at speed 4 or 5 with Four Star Machine Glaze & Polish.
    No matter which version of Porter Cable you have, you need to be on the 5.0 to 6.0 speed setting. In order to remove swirls, the pad must be rotating ageists the surface, not just vibrating.

Holograms, also called Buffer Trails or Rotary Buffer Swirls are a type of below surface defect. Everything you need to know about removing below surface defects is explained in detail in the below thread.

Tips and Techniques for using the PC 7424XP Dual Action Polisher to remove Below Surface Defects

Also notice how in some of the pictures you'll see there are black lines drawn on the back of the backing plates used on the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher, this is to make it easy to see if the pad is in fact rotating or just vibrating.

Use a permanent marker to place a line on the back of your backing plates to make sure your pads are in fact rotating while removing swirls and not just vibrating.

The Four Star Machine Glaze & Polish is stated as being able to remove compounding haze, fine sanding marks and light scratches with a cutting pad so test with the polishing pad to a small section first and make sure you're getting GREAT results using a polishing pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, these two cars I detailed are both my friends. The passat owner inform me that there are white residue on rubber seals around the windows, I did use tape, but guess I didn't do a good job. I don't really know how to pick up a line of product, I spread it and mist the pad, therfore it can be messy.
    After I compound a car, even with all the edges taped off, I still wash all the dust and residue off afterwards...and I usually take some Menzerna Top Inspection and spray EVERY little crevice/crack/emblem/you name it and wipe inside that area with a microfiber. This always ensures that you'll have no residue left in the cracks.

Post Thanks / Like

heres the s2000, the rear quarter panels shows the holograms, he says its hard to capture.

Post Thanks / Like

RPF1s + hardtop = drool!

Post Thanks / Like

before I was in AG, I throught the hardtop paint job was very good. after all the knowledge I gain here ( thanks to you all), the paint job is crap, sand marks are still there, lots of overspray, mis match colors, on and on. dents.

Mike Phillips

before I was in AG, I thought the hardtop paint job was very good. after all the knowledge I gain here ( thanks to you all), the paint job is crap, sand marks are still there, lots of overspray, mis match colors, on and on. dents.
    Is there any update to this thread?

Have you removed the swirls successfully?

?

Post Thanks / Like

No sorry, I havent got a chance to do it, its been very cold here in NJ. I stack up a whole shelf of products cause of AG having it's sales. I can't wait to use it, I have a 05 Mazda Miata ( purple ) 10 Vw GTI ( gray ) some DD Toyotas, and maybe more will sign up.

im trying to inform my co-workers in the dealerships that the Detailer does a crappy job, still they don't believe I can do better. I guess I gotta prove them wrong. but Im not gonna do it for $60 like the detailer is charging them lol, Im not trying to take business away from my dealership, just informing my CO-Workers, not customers. so sad to see a $50,000 + car deliver with swirls, can't do anything about it.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the follow-up...

I noticed this was a Sticky in the Circular Polishers forum group but when I read through it there was on conclusion so I thought I would revive the thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12