autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

4 Part Process Still Has Swirls?

4 Part Process Still Has Swirls?

ok i am using 3m compound with 3m wool head then a yellow foam head, i then used perfect it polish for dark with 3m gray head, then i used finesse it finishing polish with blue polish pad. but i STILL have swirl marks from the gray pad.

what is wrong, what should i do?

edit: will the 3m paste wax fill in these swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by 87rx7chick View Post
    ok i am using 3m compound with 3m wool head then a yellow foam head, i then used perfect it polish for dark with 3m gray head, then i used finesse it finishing polish with blue polish pad. but i STILL have swirl marks from the gray pad.

Switch to 105/orange pad and 205/white/grey pad. Flawless every time for me.
    Last edited by T Riddle; 11-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a guess but could it be that going from a yellow pad down to a gray pad was to much of a jump
    I had great results using wtsr with an orange pad followed by wfg with a white pad followed by menz85rd and a blue pad..It seemed that you went with a very aggressive approach wool pad/ yellow pad than down to a gray pad. Did you do a test panel first to see what combo would best remove the swirls before you proceeded to a finishing polish? It seems a shame to after all that work to hope to fill in the swirls with a wax. I have also heard a lot of good things about the megs 105/205 combo but have not tried it myself.
    Last edited by unclestu; 11-17-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T Riddle View Post
    Switch to 105/orange pad and 205/white pad. Flawless every time for me.
    thanks but i dont have that kind of compound, or the money to order it. unless u want to help me out. . . my roomate didnt pay me rent so i dont even have cash to eat LMFAO, thank god i bought what i did before i found out...

the swirls from the yellow pad went away with the gray pad. but the swirls from the gray pad didnt go away with the blue pad it seems... hell i dont even know.

all i know is why is anything wrong with using all 3 m products. shops across town all use this stuff and have good results do they not? question is what am i doing wrong

Post Thanks / Like

to add, i am doing it at night under a bright blue metal halyd bulb... i brang it into the garage under flouro and cant see... would a MH show more then sunlight?

also it looks like the paste wax filled in the swirls, is this common? or a baindaid

Post Thanks / Like

thanks but i dont have that kind of compound, or the money to order it. unless u want to help me out. . . my roomate didnt pay me rent so i dont even have cash to eat LMFAO, thank god i bought what i did before i found out...

the swirls from the yellow pad went away with the gray pad. but the swirls from the gray pad didnt go away with the blue pad it seems... hell i dont even know.

all i know is why is anything wrong with using all 3 m products. shops across town all use this stuff and have good results do they not? question is what am i doing wrong

I have used 3m and the only thing I have found that worked well was ultrafina. The 105/205 is newly released and is just a pleasure to work with. You might try your last polish step with the grey pad as well. I have used it a lot to finish down with good results. I might be willing to throw out some samples of my 105/205.......

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience with the 3M line I found the results were only so-so. All those bottles have now migrated to the back of my shelves and are collecting dust. I'm not sure how to help you with your issues you're having right now other then to suggest when you have spare cash ~90$ try ordering a bottle of SIP and 106 or 85RD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T Riddle View Post
    I have used 3m and the only thing I have found that worked well was ultrafina. The 105/205 is newly released and is just a pleasure to work with. You might try your last polish step with the grey pad as well. I have used it a lot to finish down with good results. I might be willing to throw out some samples of my 105/205.......
    yeah... maybe that would help i wish i did have the cash for all the pads and the right polish... but i had to get what i could aford at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    In my experience with the 3M line I found the results were only so-so. All those bottles have now migrated to the back of my shelves and are collecting dust. I'm not sure how to help you with your issues you're having right now other then to suggest when you have spare cash ~90$ try ordering a bottle of SIP and 106 or 85RD.
    thats cool. so so hu? alright well thats cool, anything right now is better then the orange peal i did have. its night and day results.

i may just have to slap on wax to protect the paint. wait till after christmas and order the good stuff and try again. would this be ok? the paint is already 5 months old.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

Try and change to this wool. THIS wool works very well and does not heat up the paint much at all:

Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad

My $.02

btw - I will be going up to Boerne for Thanksgiving. Just not sure what day I will drive up there.
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SRHTX View Post
    Try and change to this wool. THIS wool works very well and does not heat up the paint much at all:

Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad

My $.02

btw - I will be going up to Boerne for Thanksgiving. Just not sure what day I will drive up there.
    but its not the wool i am having issue with , i already removed the compound swirls but the polish created new swirls. ... um... yeah..

btw if i use the finish stuff with the gray pad then the blue pad how would that be different from doing what i already did? are they different grades of cutting? the pads and the polish? i do not understand.

im sorry i am just really frustrated i have had a hell of a week so far, and i just want to finish my car i been working on it for almost 3 weeks now just sanding and pollishing

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast