autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

Here just relax and we I will get you straightened out. The wool cuts better than the yellow but leaves a better finish because it levels the paint better which in turn will make it easier to remove the marring from the wool.

I know you didn't say you were not filling anything, it is the polish that is filling. The 3M swirl remover is widely known as a filler not a true swirl remover. The only true swirl remover that 3M has is its Ultrafina/Ultrafine. When you are polishing and do not remove all the swirls and wipe away the polish and not use an IPA wipedown the polish will "fill" the swirls/marring. So when you jumped to the gray pad it is not strong enough to remove the larger swirls/marring that the yellow pad induced so all it did was remove the polish that "filled" in the swrils/marring. This is why you thought the gray pad was the problem. I know if you were to do and IPA wipedown before using your gray pad all the swirls would have re-appered and you would have understood what I was trying to say. In the detailing world no matter if the polish says it does not fill but if it does not remove the swirls completely we call it filling them in-i.e fills. I hope this helps a little better. If not ask a few more questions and I will give you the answers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Here just relax and we I will get you straightened out. The wool cuts better than the yellow but leaves a better finish because it levels the paint better which in turn will make it easier to remove the marring from the wool.

I know you didn't say you were not filling anything, it is the polish that is filling. The 3M swirl remover is widely known as a filler not a true swirl remover. The only true swirl remover that 3M has is its Ultrafina/Ultrafine. When you are polishing and do not remove all the swirls and wipe away the polish and not use an IPA wipedown the polish will "fill" the swirls/marring. So when you jumped to the gray pad it is not strong enough to remove the larger swirls/marring that the yellow pad induced so all it did was remove the polish that "filled" in the swrils/marring. This is why you thought the gray pad was the problem. I know if you were to do and IPA wipedown before using your gray pad all the swirls would have re-appered and you would have understood what I was trying to say. In the detailing world no matter if the polish says it does not fill but if it does not remove the swirls completely we call it filling them in-i.e fills. I hope this helps a little better. If not ask a few more questions and I will give you the answers.
    Hey Dana,
    In this situation would you have gone to an orange pad after the yellow instead of the gray pad?.
    This is a great example of (as you always said) how important it is to do an IPA after each stage of polishing.
    [SIGWe PIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle
    MAY THE SHINE BE WITH YOU

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    Hey Dana,
    In this situation would you have gone to an orange pad after the yellow instead of the gray pad?.
    This is a great example of (as you always said) how important it is to do an IPA after each stage of polishing.
    I say it is a great example of how important it is to do a test spot.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

What polisher are you using?
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by unclestu View Post
    Hey Dana,
    UncleStu you are correct, yes an orange pad after wool, then white, then a finishing pad. It was late and I overlooked that. I apologize to the OP for forgetting that step.

Also this would be a perfect example of why you do an IPA wipedown after each step.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: 4 part prosses still has swirls?

I wonder what she has done today............
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

ok i am using 3m compound with 3m wool head then a yellow foam head, i then used perfect it polish for dark with 3m gray head, then i used finesse it finishing polish with blue polish pad. but i STILL have swirl marks from the gray pad.
    Just to everybody knows. She said she is using the 3M pad system. Not the Lake Country Pads. Dont get confused as I see so many of you are.

So she has:
    3m wool
    3m black/gray polishing
    3m blue pad(ultrafina)

Its all speculation until she comes back in and verifies. I for one have a set of these pads and have no problem going with 3m wool straight to 3m black foam at all. I think you're not breaking down the polishing long enough, or you could be over working and dry polishing.

Just because a polish contains fillers doesnt mean it wont correct. Take a look at the old Megs twins 83/80. They are heavy in oils that fill but the abrasives in them also correct the paint at the same time. Its mostly technique not product.
    Last edited by Lasthope05; 11-18-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What polisher are you using?

Are you working the polishes down long enough so the polish fully breaks down?
    08 Subaru WRX

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Buffing with a mismatched system can be a frustrating experience. 3M offers a new simpified system. I have used it with excellent results. I went on to their website to get you details.

3Mâ„¢ Perfect-Itâ„¢ Paint Finishing System - A fast and effective way to produce a swirl-free automotive finish US 3M

You would be interested in steps 3-5. It is key to use the correct pad with the corresponding compound.
    Last edited by Sndmanwest; 11-20-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I know where she went the other day. She is waiting for me to arrive in San Antonio, TX next week. I also know what she has purchased, however, it's not for this problem. Something that she saw used and loved it. She was given some very good coaching about her vehicle.
    Stephen R. Hollon, Jr
    Pearland, TX
    (956) 357-7696 – Cell/Text / srhtx@yahoo.com

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast