autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What am I doing wrong :( Holograms

The problem is not with the polishes you use, is the way your work with your makita. When you edging with the makita you live some buffer trail that cause those holograms but if you will try to work on your polishing skills, flat pad not edging you will be fine. I am not saying you dont know how to handle a rotary it is just the extra attention for these small details.
    Hope that will fix your problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eliran View Post
    The problem is not with the polishes you use, is the way your work with your makita. When you edging with the makita you live some buffer trail that cause those holograms but if you will try to work on your polishing skills, flat pad not edging you will be fine. I am not saying you dont know how to handle a rotary it is just the extra attention for these small details.
    Hope that will fix your problem.
    I totally agree. I've recently switched from 6.5"ccs pads to 8" 3M pads and noticed my angles can easily get out of control!

I'm practicing a new technique on a carrera right now, I'll post some pics up after in a couple hours, see if I can get it right the first time haha

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    Makita
    Trying to create a 100% swirl free finish on a clear coated black vehicle using ONLY a direct-drive rotary buffer is hard to do.

Sometimes it has nothing to do with how GREAT you are at using a rotary buffer, sometimes it has to do with the paint itself, (something out of your control), as some paints are easy to polish swirl free while others are impossible.

This is another reason the dual action polishers have become so popular as they will insure a swirl-free finish when used after a rotary buffer.

Switching from a rotary buffer to a dual action polisher is switching from a direct drive machine that is rotating a pad in a circle to a machine that has a clutch and is oscillating the pad, which is making circles inside of a larger circle.

I alway do a test spot to one small area of the vehicle and make sure I can make one small area look perfect or swirl-free with my products and process of choice before going over the entire vehicle as going over the entire vehicle only to find out your products and process of choice isn't working can be kind of depressing.

Also, you need to finish with a finishing foam pad and a light finishing polisher for the last machine polishing steps, this is in essence what jeweling is.

Jeweling is a new term on the Internet for what guys with rotary buffers have always done, we just never gave it name except the finishing step, or the last finishing step, or the last machine finishing step with a rotary buffer etc.

Besides all of the above, it's vital that everything be surgically clean including cleaning your pads often, a pad washer works best for this but a pad cleaning brush can be used also.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats probably the problem. Will look forward to those pics.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had similar problems in the past, and yes, the random orbital is your best solution. Especially if the paint is super soft, finishing with a rotary is almost impossible. Changing to a DA for final steps really helps cut down your time and get the finish you want.

I like to use the 3M ultrafina and pad combo on the rotary for soft paints like Mitsubishis and typical Hondas. But on our S2000 we could not get it hologram free to our standards via rotary. There simply was no way we could have done it without a DA. We used the Porter Cable with a finishing pad with the Ultrafina polish and it worked good.

Local to Southeast Michigan
    Serving Nationwide

Post Thanks / Like

So what step in the process would you recommend I use a Porter cable?
    85Rd?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I finished the front end, just having trouble getting a good quality picture. I have very basic camera knowledge and this low light indoor stuff is hard

Post Thanks / Like

From that picture it looks perfect the true test will be outside in the sun.Yes you can use the Pc with the 85rd
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chatelaine View Post
    Ok I finished the front end, just having trouble getting a good quality picture. I have very basic camera knowledge and this low light indoor stuff is hard

holy crap thats awesome! looks like melting vynal!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast