autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, first day using random orbital polisher, and I failed

Hey Guys, I went to a local shop picked up a car panel. It’s red in color has a few scratches not to deep. I bought a rubbing compound and I got no scratches out. I cleaned the panel with alcohol, and primed the pad. I spread product on slow speed. Then I started to work panel, at @3000 rpm across, up down around 4 times. I used both a microfiber pad and foam pad. What else, we’ll regardless no scratches came off. Do I need to wetsand for scratches to come off?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well, first day using random orbital polisher, and I failed

Which machine and pad are you using?

First thought - spin faster than 3000rpm. Try different amounts of pressure. Draw a line on the pad or backing plate to help see whether the pad is actually spinning.

I generally spread on low speed, speed way up and apply decent pressure for a few passes, then slowly apply less pressure for a few passes, then end barely putting any pressure on. This allows the pad to spin at max speed and hopefully ‘finesse’ (if that’s a word for compounding!) any larger marring into less significant marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we can’t mention products we buy other places. It’s a 3” random orbital polisher I used both microfiber and even a yellow pad, and nothing. The rubbing compound I bought somewhere else, but disappointed. Oh well, I guess I’ll keep trying. I dislike feeling stuck man lol

Post Thanks / Like

There's probably no harm caused by mentioning the brand of the polisher for one. You say a 3", is it a Griots 3"? (I own one) Many will tell you that this is not a powerhouse unit, it takes patience, perfect technique, and the right combo of pads and product to get any serious correction from. Mark the Backing Plate so you can keep tabs on Pad Rotation. Without Pad Rotation, you'll get little in the way of paint correction.

You might need to up your game to a larger polisher, The Griots G9, or older GG6, Porter Cable 7424XP, etc.

Another thing is, it depends on how deep a scratch is also. Where the clear coat has been scratched down into the base color coat, and a fingernail easily catches on the scratch, it might be unlikely the scratch will ever be fully removed. It might look better, a bit less noticeable, but that might be all that can be achieved, and expected.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say failure's a pretty harsh term for your first go-around. You're not diffusing a bomb, you're playing on a test panel!

Great points above. First thought I had was that a 3" dual action (random orbital) polisher is generally used for spot correction/tight spaces, not large scale correction. Like Mark mentioned - backing plate rotation is critical, especially on a 3" machine.

I'd say go ahead and just let us know what polisher/pads/chemicals you're using (thanks for respecting the rules!) - it's clear you're looking to learn and I think it can help folks understand what you're working with so it's easier to speculate what kind of results you can expect.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post

I cleaned the panel with alcohol,
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by TrustJesus View Post

Then I started to work panel, at @3000 rpm
    So you're using a 3" Rotary Buffer?

Or a full size rotary buffer with a 3" pad?

You posted this thread in a forum group with the title,

Rotary Buffer

But the title of your thread is,

Well, first day using random orbital polisher, and I failed

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, remember I’m new to this detail thing, I don’t know what I’m doing. That don’t discourage me I’m trying to learn by me self, I expect to fail. It’s a 3” random orbital polisher I got (way before) I joined this site. It’s not a Griots, a cheap china brand model.

It came with 3 pads, microfiber-yellow foam pad-black soft pad. I tired microfiber and yellow pad, did everything and panel got hot but no correction. I understand the nail catch method for scratches, however these were very minimal scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite, yes I’m trying to respect rules. It’s a 3” China random orbital polisher from amazon I got way before I joined on here. Brand is Zota.

I went last night got panel put in our truck, and stopped at local store got a turtle wax rubbing compound and went off to test. I’m new, did everything I read and no correction occurred.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, hey man I’m new to all this I’m just lost. Lol the alcohol was because it was late and I wanted to try out my machine. Again I thought alcohol would clean it.

I don’t know man it’s a 3” random orbital polisher I got a while before I joined here, saw the forum rotary polisher again mistake.

Post Thanks / Like

TJ:

Looking at the pictures of that machine, it looks like the “3000 RPM” setting is only speed 1 - on any random orbital machine you’ll need more than that to get pad rotation. Especially on a 3” machine.

Look for videos from threads on here, especially from Mike Phillips for how to do machine correction. Big thing as Mark mentioned is putting a sharpie/paint mark on your backing plate so you can watch the pad rotate, not just oscillate.

I would strongly consider picking up a Griot’s G9 or look for a deal on their 3rd gen 6” model. You’ll be set up with a machine that will have plenty of power to accomplish pro quality work, then just keep your 3” machine for tight spaces.

I’d also consider a chemical change. I could be mistaken, but when I hear “rubbing compound”, I think old school; the modern products have come a long way in regards to speed, ease of use, and results. I remember wearing my arm out as a kid starting off wiping off polish/compound; nowadays it’s a breeze. And there are a lot of “compounds” that finish off Last Step Product ready on many finishes.

12. Likes vobro, PaulMys, Celabe liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast