autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In the market for new woolies

Well I certainly dont believe that the last four posters are serious---
    #1- This sub forum is marked ROTARY BUFFERS- not wheel care
    #2-I dont believe that anyone who posts in a short thread, especially a thread as short as a two post thread, would post without reading those two posts.
    #3- The first guy to respond didnt have a problem
    #4- If you guys WERE serious and wanted to be a helpful contributors- why didnt you ask for clarification

Post Thanks / Like

When we pick to show new posts, it doesn't show which area of the forum they were created in. So I see all new posts since my last visit regardless of location. There is a product pretty much every detailer uses that is called Wheel Woolies. There is also a pad type called Wool Pad, not woolies. When I opened this thread I expected you to be asking something like is Wheel Woolies better than EZ detail brushes which is a different wheel brush that splatters like crazy. But then I saw it was about wool pads and I was about to get out of the thread since I don't have suggestions for those. But then I saw some also thought it was about wheel brushes and I simple stated that is what I thought too. So yes, I was serious.

I've heard good things about the Rupes wool pads but I haven't personally tried them.
    Bruno Soares

3. Likes Rsurfer, PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

anyone else??

I have not used the new RUPES wool pads yet.

I looked at them at the RUPES booth at SEMA and they looked to be the "normal" high quality product you expect from RUPES. Jason Rose told me they are just a "me-too" product and they are BUT - I like a GOOD traditional wool pad for heavy cutting with a rotary buffer.

There's a lot of improved wool and microfiber pads for use with orbitals and rotary buffers that cut well and finish better than this traditional type of wool pad but I look at the buffing process differently than most enthusiasts and I'd even say most pros.

What I see now days is a LOT of pros thinking they need a hi-tech pad to cut "good" and finish out great. Nothing wrong with this but here's how I look at it. If I NEED to really CUT - then I want to get in and do it fast and get it over with. AND afterwards - I'M GOING TO DO A FOLLOW-UP STEP ANYWAYS so I don't care if the fibers of a traditional wool pad don't finish out as nice as the fibers of some hi-tech fiber pad because,

A: I only cut with great abrasive technology. This means the depth of the holograms I'm putting into the paint is more from the fibers and my downward pressure (and pad angle), than it is from the abrasives I'm using and these holograms in context are going to be shallow and easily removed.

B: Because I'm going to do a second polishing step also with great abrasive technology and some form and brand of FOAM pad - with it's uniform surface texture - I'm going to remove any holograms from the first step so I care less about the finish I leave in the first step as I tend to care more about speed and effectiveness.

And for anyone reading this that has NOT done a log of heavy cutting over the decades using wool pads on rotary buffers, I'm here to tell you, there is a benefit to a traditional wool pad on a rotary buffer to not only buff out the easy-to-buff flat panes but for pushing into the tight areas and more complex areas to simply get the job over.

And of course, it kind of goes without saying, skillful use with a rotary buffer and a traditional wool pad takes experience and you only get this kind of experience by doing it a LOT.

So yeah- get the new RUPES pads. I'm looking forward to the smaller 6.5" pad for my Cordless FLEX PE14 and the medium size 7" pad for the corded version of the PE14

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg View Post

Well I certainly dont believe that the last four posters are serious---

#1- This sub forum is marked ROTARY BUFFERS- not wheel care
    #2-I dont believe that anyone who posts in a short thread, especially a thread as short as a two post thread, would post without reading those two posts.
    #3- The first guy to respond didnt have a problem
    #4- If you guys WERE serious and wanted to be a helpful contributors- why didnt you ask for clarification

All good points but I will say, when I read the title of your thread

In the market for new woolies

My mind went first to the Wheel Woolie Wheel Cleaning Brushes. I like them. I use them. I show them in my classes and the word,

Woolie

Is the word I associate with these brand of great brushes. I never think of wool pads and the word or words, woolie and woolies. I just say or type out wool pad or wool pads. But then I'm a speed typist by nature with a full size Microsoft Ergo Keyboard and Ergo Arm Holder Uppers.

I do think everyone can simply relax and be nice. Like I always say,

That fact that we are all talking/typing on a car detailing discussion forum means we all have more in common than not.

Our Country is so divided.... let's try to simply be nice.

6. Thanks Rsurfer, luckydawg thanked for this post
    Likes Rrthomas78, Bruno Soares liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Oh yeah....

Even though I've been working and typing on vBulletin discussion forums since they were invented, (about the year 2000 and going commercial in 2002, I have an article on this), I rarely look at the name of the forum group or sub-group a thread is posted in.

I scan the forum homepage and all threads are listed under,

Recent Threads

You have to actually "look" at the top of the page of the thread to see what group or sub-group the thread is in and that's usually and "after thought" for me. Mostly because I'm busy, usually multi-tasking and typing on-the-fly.

8. Thanks Rsurfer thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LC Purple Foamed wool work great with rotary. The B&S Euro wool pads are bit more aggressive

10. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its all good on my end

Post Thanks / Like

ive been using schlegel for years. love em.

13. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I got a couple of these recently MEGUIAR'S WRWHC7. They are pretty awesome and dont really shed, even new which is awesome. Schlegel and Polishing school are some quality wools too.
    @Sharpdetails @GTAutolounge

15. Thanks luckydawg thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12