autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What am I looking for ? Rotary or orbital or flex?

This world is semi new to me, I have a 7424 DA but to correct severe glass scratches, I read that rotary is the way to go. All 3 cars are really bad, I need to clean and remove severe micro scratches. Its one of those that are not visible in day light but night time gets annoying. I had use cerium oxide with the glass polishing pad on the 7424 but it seem to take a log time. So I figure its time to invest in something new. From a few threads it seems like I need a rotary buffer, I also read this new flex might be good too. Any suggestions ?

I'm not looking to spend too much, but want to get the job done. I have some griots 6" and some 5" glass polishing pads left (new). So like to get something that fits them.

Thanks for any tip

-Roranji

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What am I looking for ? Rotary or orbital or flex?

You say this is new to you, so I would either consider not using a rotary or get a body & glass panel from a junk yard to learn and practice on before working on your vehicles, because in inexperienced hands things can go very bad with a rotary machine very quickly. A better choice and If it were me, I would start with your DA and an aggressive pad first, that may be all you need. Always start with least aggressive solutions first and then move up as necessary.
    Sincerely, Bruce
    2015 Ram Big Horn CC 3500 Cummins DRW w/AISIN tranny

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I only asked because I tried the DA for about a few hrs, and it didn't seem to make a difference on my test car. I have a 94 honda civic to practice rotary on. its so old, and all broken and its just in the driveway doing nothing. Worse case I can replace all the windshields. I dont want to go that route because of calibration issues with non oem glass, insurance always want to cheap out first, but if all else fails, I have that option.

I replace windshields before but the issue with glass slowly comes back, so eventually Ill need to polish/clean it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
    I only asked because I tried the DA for about a few hrs, and it didn't seem to make a difference on my test car. I have a 94 honda civic to practice rotary on. its so old, and all broken and its just in the driveway doing nothing. Worse case I can replace all the windshields. I dont want to go that route because of calibration issues with non oem glass, insurance always want to cheap out first, but if all else fails, I have that option.

I replace windshields before but the issue with glass slowly comes back, so eventually Ill need to polish/clean it
    Get a cheap rotary from HF. You don't need a $300 machine to polish glass that may never have to be polished again.

Mike Phillips

You need a glass polish with Cerium Oxide.

I teach glass polishing. One of my rules is,

If a company makes a cerium oxide glass polish and the pads to go with them - buy them.

Don’t mix and match pads and products. Griots makes pads and a glass polish but it’s not a cerium oxide polish.

Check out CarPro pads and Ceriglas glad polish.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You need a glass polish with Cerium Oxide.

I teach glass polishing. One of my rules is,

If a company makes a cerium oxide glass polish and the pads to go with them - buy them.

Don’t mix and match pads and products. Griots makes pads and a glass polish but it’s not a cerium oxide polish.

Check out CarPro pads and Ceriglas glad polish.

thanks. Ceriglass I been using. By hand. I think I’m gone through 3 bottles since 2011

ill get the carpro pads when I pick up my rotary. I been having this issue since 1999. End up switching cars and not bother.

I now want to fix it and keep the cars

if I get rotary from HF. Any speed range I need to pick up ?

Post Thanks / Like

thanks. Ceriglass I been using. By hand. I think I’m gone through 3 bottles since 2011

ill get the carpro pads when I pick up my rotary. I been having this issue since 1999. End up switching cars and not bother.

I now want to fix it and keep the cars

if I get rotary from HF. Any speed range I need to pick up ?
    1200 rpm should be fast enough. Caution, polishing glass with a rotary can get messy. You need to keep the glass moist with a spray bottle which in turn will create splatter.

Mike P recommends a beach blanket to cover your wiper cowl and hood to catch the splatter. Ceri glass is water soluble which should clean up rather easily.

Polishing glass is messy and time consuming. Do small sections and take your time.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

These are the blotches i'm trying to remove.. so far nothing really gets rid of them, I used No Touch GS8 Auto Glass Stripper, it gets rid of some but not completely. So mechanically is the way to try next.

What am I looking for ?  Rotary or orbital or flex?-wind01-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I only found 5" carpro pads.. I assume I need a 5" rotary backing ? didn't search hard enough, HF seem to only have 7" rotary.. ill try looking again

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I only found 5" carpro pads.. I assume I need a 5" rotary backing ? didn't search hard enough, HF seem to only have 7" rotary.. ill try looking again
    It's the backing plate that is 7". The spindle is 5/8", so a 5" backing plate with a 5/8 female fitting will work.

And yes Car Pro's rayon pads only comes in 3" (odd size) and 51/4" sizes.

11. Thanks rsutoratosu thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast