autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use

This is an old thread that I'm reviving, as I see alot of folks, like myself, are getting into rotary polishers. Justin posted some good links...they're great reads and have some very helpful tips.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_murphy View Post
    This is the best guide I've found. I too am in the process of learning the rotary.

A Guide To Rotary Polishing - Detailing World

Here's another.......
    "Polish until the residue goes clear" - Pictorial Explanation - Detailing World
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you alko.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post Alex!
    ED aka Porsche Pilot

Post Thanks / Like

I just read every post on this thread and man oh man I'm so glad the OP brought this topic up. This thread is full of great information. As alot of you guys know I just picked up a Flex PE-14 and I've had mixed emotions on using it. I still don't have pads, so I still haven't used it. I've been doing alot of research ever since I purchased the machine and as soon as I read something about burning paint I get nervous to even try it. But I'm sure with alot of patience, practice, and research I'll be fine. I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions-from old posts to new.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use / Should Only Distilled Water Be Spritzed On Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    • Ensure a ‘wet’ polishing film is always present between your pad and the surface. Swirls are usually caused by using an aggressive polish without breaking down the diminishing abrasives properly, or you may have used too much polish or it may have dried. To remove spritz the pad with distilled water...
    Does added water really have to be distilled?

If so, what's the reasoning behind that?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use / Should Only Distilled Water Be Spritzed On Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Does added water really have to be distilled?

If so, what's the reasoning behind that?
    First, I highly doubt that there would be any discernible difference between using a spritz of tap water vs a spritz of distilled. I can't imagine that the microscopic contaminants and minerals in tap water would have any negative effect in this instance.

Second, that was posted over 10 years ago which the pads and compounds have dramatically improved and there is FAR more lubrication in cutting compounds since that advice was posted. That said, the guy is seriously knowledgeable on the polishing process.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use / Should Only Distilled Water Be Spritzed On Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I just read every post on this thread and man oh man I'm so glad the OP brought this topic up. This thread is full of great information. As alot of you guys know I just picked up a Flex PE-14 and I've had mixed emotions on using it. I still don't have pads, so I still haven't used it. I've been doing alot of research ever since I purchased the machine and as soon as I read something about burning paint I get nervous to even try it. But I'm sure with alot of patience, practice, and research I'll be fine. I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions-from old posts to new.
    If you are nervous about burning the paint, work on a test panel and touch it with your bare hand. Feel how hot it gets. Get used to how long it takes to heat the panel up.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    First, I highly doubt that there would be any discernible difference between using a spritz of tap water vs a spritz of distilled. I can't imagine that the microscopic contaminants and minerals in tap water would have any negative effect in this instance.

Second, that was posted over 10 years ago which the pads and compounds have dramatically improved and there is FAR more lubrication in cutting compounds since that advice was posted. That said, the guy is seriously knowledgeable on the polishing process.
    You'd be surprised how "hard" the water can be in some places. I live in an area where the water comes out of limestone caves and the water is full of minerals.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY on Facebook
    on Instagram: btchincamarodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Looking into it a little more, it looks like minerals in water could be a problem.

How Minerals Affect the Water Supplies

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567