autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
 

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Results 61 to 69 of 69
  1. #61
    Senior Member alko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use

    This is an old thread that I'm reviving, as I see alot of folks, like myself, are getting into rotary polishers. Justin posted some good links...they're great reads and have some very helpful tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by justin_murphy View Post
    This is the best guide I've found. I too am in the process of learning the rotary.

    A Guide To Rotary Polishing - Detailing World

    Here's another.......
    "Polish until the residue goes clear" - Pictorial Explanation - Detailing World
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

  2. #62
    Senior Member Vegas Transplant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Left Lane...Hammer Down
    Posts
    4,432
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use

    Thank you alko.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

  3. #63
    Senior Member Rix6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Central Coast, CA
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use


  4. #64
    Senior Member Porsche Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post Alex!
    ED aka Porsche Pilot

  5. #65
    Senior Member alko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    4,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use

    I just read every post on this thread and man oh man I'm so glad the OP brought this topic up. This thread is full of great information. As alot of you guys know I just picked up a Flex PE-14 and I've had mixed emotions on using it. I still don't have pads, so I still haven't used it. I've been doing alot of research ever since I purchased the machine and as soon as I read something about burning paint I get nervous to even try it. But I'm sure with alot of patience, practice, and research I'll be fine. I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions-from old posts to new.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

  6. #66
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use / Should Only Distilled Water Be Spritzed On Pad?

    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    • Ensure a ‘wet’ polishing film is always present between your pad and the surface. Swirls are usually caused by using an aggressive polish without breaking down the diminishing abrasives properly, or you may have used too much polish or it may have dried. To remove spritz the pad with distilled water...
    Does added water really have to be distilled?

    If so, what's the reasoning behind that?

  7. #67
    Senior Member mwoywod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use / Should Only Distilled Water Be Spritzed On Pad?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Does added water really have to be distilled?

    If so, what's the reasoning behind that?
    First, I highly doubt that there would be any discernible difference between using a spritz of tap water vs a spritz of distilled. I can't imagine that the microscopic contaminants and minerals in tap water would have any negative effect in this instance.

    Second, that was posted over 10 years ago which the pads and compounds have dramatically improved and there is FAR more lubrication in cutting compounds since that advice was posted. That said, the guy is seriously knowledgeable on the polishing process.

  8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
  9. #68
    Senior Member KirkH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use / Should Only Distilled Water Be Spritzed On Pad?

    Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post
    I just read every post on this thread and man oh man I'm so glad the OP brought this topic up. This thread is full of great information. As alot of you guys know I just picked up a Flex PE-14 and I've had mixed emotions on using it. I still don't have pads, so I still haven't used it. I've been doing alot of research ever since I purchased the machine and as soon as I read something about burning paint I get nervous to even try it. But I'm sure with alot of patience, practice, and research I'll be fine. I really appreciate everyone's advice and suggestions-from old posts to new.
    If you are nervous about burning the paint, work on a test panel and touch it with your bare hand. Feel how hot it gets. Get used to how long it takes to heat the panel up.

    Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    First, I highly doubt that there would be any discernible difference between using a spritz of tap water vs a spritz of distilled. I can't imagine that the microscopic contaminants and minerals in tap water would have any negative effect in this instance.

    Second, that was posted over 10 years ago which the pads and compounds have dramatically improved and there is FAR more lubrication in cutting compounds since that advice was posted. That said, the guy is seriously knowledgeable on the polishing process.
    You'd be surprised how "hard" the water can be in some places. I live in an area where the water comes out of limestone caves and the water is full of minerals.
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY on Facebook
    on Instagram: btchincamarodetailing

  10. #69
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Help: Rotary Buffer Use

    Looking into it a little more, it looks like minerals in water could be a problem.

    How Minerals Affect the Water Supplies

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Similar Threads

  1. Rotary buffer
    By Gcleov in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2016, 02:35 PM
  2. Rotary Buffer
    By HoldenFlinner48 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM
  3. How to use a rotary buffer
    By Mike Phillips in forum 2009 to 2017 - How to articles by Mike Phillips
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 09:39 AM
  4. 3M Rotary Buffer
    By jgraham37128 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
  5. Rotary Buffer
    By Sol on fire in forum Ask Mike Phillips your detailing questions!
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» December 2018

S M T W T F S
252627282930 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 12345