autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DeWalt DWP849X or Makita 9227/9237

Hi, new here. Looking to by a rotary for compounding and polishing my boat (mostly gel). Of the Makita and DeWalt, Which would be the best choice? I was leaning towards the DeWalt because the 12 amp motor and from Mr. Phillips write-up between the 849X and 9227 but have noticed Makita has since come out with the 9237. Which would be the best investment of these 3 for years to come? Or rank the 3.
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DeWalt DWP849X or Makita 9227/9237

DeWalt is known for its durability. Have you ever seen body shops misuse them?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I have not seen how body shops put their tools to the test, but I'm sure their not easy on them!

This may seem like an unimportant to most since they are both similar, but I take care of my things so they last. I try and research so I can be informed to make the best decision possible to hopefully last a lifetime.

What is confusing to me is that through the research I have done going back through the threads is that makita always seems to be mentioned, rarely dewalt. Makita is always mentioned as a great, reliable machine (besides the cord) that rarely broke down. Then when the dwp849x came out, that is when everyone seemed to switch and/or talk about the dewalt. Now fast forward again, the 9237 has come to almost level the playing field but little talk about it because the FLEX is the machine to have. I am strictly looking for a workhorse for compounding gel and to last me years to come...that's why I ask between the two? Seems like makita has the good track record but slightly smaller motor on the 9237, but have not really read any complaints of the 849x either. Did dewalt get it right this time or am I not that educated on the subject? I'm sure I'm splitting hairs, especially since this will not be used day in day out as a professional and it seem like the two are almost equal. I am just looking to buy the right one once if I'm spending the money. Unfortunately, I think the flex is wrong machine for what I'm looking for and if it was its out of my budget.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Between the two you've asked about I'd go with the Dewalt. I sold my 9227 last year to a fellow detailer. The Makita got the job done, but the Dewalt is smoother, quieter, and feels better in my hands.
    Now if you ever want to get the "best" rotary, the Flex pe-14 is Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly07sti View Post
    Between the two you've asked about I'd go with the Dewalt. I sold my 9227 last year to a fellow detailer. The Makita got the job done, but the Dewalt is smoother, quieter, and feels better in my hands.
    Now if you ever want to get the "best" rotary, the Flex pe-14 is Amazing!
    I agree on the PE-14, awesome rotary. However, the OP is polishing boats and a 7" wool pad is a little heavy for the Flex.

My vote goes to the DeWalt.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 849X and really like it. I use it mostly for polishing stainless and aluminum, but I have used it to compound and polish paint with really good results. I think the controls are laid out well and the variable speed/soft start trigger is a nice feature. I have no experience with the Makita, but most of their stuff is well made and pretty rugged, so I assume this would be similar.

Post Thanks / Like

My personal preference, Makita 9237 hands down. I owned the 849X for about a year and it was a fine tool, but some of its quirks got a little old to me. I now have the 9237 for sale and own the PE-14. Some of the quirks with my dewalt were:

- It ran HOT. 4+ hour compound jobs with a wool pad made it difficult (if not impossible) to hold onto the body of the unit.
    - On a startup, The RPMs would ramp past the dialed RPM and then slowly return. For instance, dial it to 1200, it would rev to, say 1500, and then return back to 1200. On trigger-finesse situations, this got a little annoying (to me)
    - I found that the throttle was not as smooth as the Makitas- even a 10yr old 9227 had much smoother speed control and did not "jump" around its RPM range nearly as bad.
    - LOUD. Without load, it is a fairly quiet machine, however, run it on speed 3-4 with a load and its downright loud. I'd say the Makita machine is significantly more quiet- maybe its the difference in "pitch". And the PE14, well its pleasant.

I will give dewalt points for ergonomics, as the rubberized head on the machine is very comfortable and slightly preferred over the Makita.

Both are great tools, and for boats all day long, I'd prefer the 9237c. Don't let the 10A motor of the Makita fool you- probably the most torquey full size rotary out there! If you can get your hands on both machines before purchase, that should narrow it down for you. Don't touch the PE14 or you will want one!

Just my two copper coins

Post Thanks / Like

For boat polishing,you can't go wrong with either. I have the 849X,the PE-14 & an old Makita that's easily 15 years old & it still runs but is getting tired. I think turning the 7.5" pads is a job for the big machines with their higher top end rpm's. I like the Flex & it's slower speeds for paint polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B5visser View Post
    My personal preference, Makita 9237 hands down. I owned the 849X for about a year and it was a fine tool, but some of its quirks got a little old to me. I now have the 9237 for sale and own the PE-14. Some of the quirks with my dewalt were:

- It ran HOT. 4+ hour compound jobs with a wool pad made it difficult (if not impossible) to hold onto the body of the unit.
    - On a startup, The RPMs would ramp past the dialed RPM and then slowly return. For instance, dial it to 1200, it would rev to, say 1500, and then return back to 1200. On trigger-finesse situations, this got a little annoying (to me)
    - I found that the throttle was not as smooth as the Makitas- even a 10yr old 9227 had much smoother speed control and did not "jump" around its RPM range nearly as bad.
    - LOUD. Without load, it is a fairly quiet machine, however, run it on speed 3-4 with a load and its downright loud. I'd say the Makita machine is significantly more quiet- maybe its the difference in "pitch". And the PE14, well its pleasant.

I will give dewalt points for ergonomics, as the rubberized head on the machine is very comfortable and slightly preferred over the Makita.

Both are great tools, and for boats all day long, I'd prefer the 9237c. Don't let the 10A motor of the Makita fool you- probably the most torquey full size rotary out there! If you can get your hands on both machines before purchase, that should narrow it down for you. Don't touch the PE14 or you will want one!

Just my two copper coins
    Thanks for the feedback. Absolutely agree with the RPM over rev, it's the one thing I don't like about the 849X and I'm not sure why this was programmed like this. Other than that minor nuisance mine has been a joy to work with, and I don't think you can go wrong with either choice in the long run. I retired the 9227 for the 849X mainly based on the ergonomics, but I am tempted to pick up a 9237 if a big sale comes along since it doesn't have that quirky RPM rev.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B5visser View Post

Just my two copper coins
    In comparing a friend's 9227 to the PE14 I had, I realized how nice a tool the Makita produces. It was quiet and smooth. For the money, it seemed a better bargain if buying new. I haven't used the 849x though. I'm sure it's an awesome machine too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast