autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Backing plate issues...

I have a question regarding my new Lake Country 5' rotary backing plate. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue. The issue is that the hole for lining the pads up correctly with the plate (I'm using 5.5 in LC Force pads) isn't perfectly centered. So when I stick the tool into the hole and then put the pads on, they vibrate like crazy. I tried eyeballing it but was not successful.

Is the backing plate defective? Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Backing plate issues...

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

Which Lake Country plate are you referencing? Also what machine are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be interested to hear which backing plate you are using, and the pads.

A quick look at LC offerings here don't show an opening of any kind for a tool to go into which would assist with mounting a pad; DA or rotary. They all appear to have a flat velcro surface.

Mounting the 5" pad on my HF DA was easy and simple. I threaded it on, velcro'd my pad to the backing plate and I was good to go. The LC backing plate was far better ballanced than the 6" one which came with the DA polisher, so it was a good upgrade in many ways.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Backing plates need to be just a little smaller than the backing on the pad or exact fit.

If the backing plate is larger than where it attaches you cannot see to center the backing plate to the pad and you will get horrible vibration.

There are some pictures in this article I wrote back in 2014 that show what I mean...

My recommended buffing pads for the Flex PE14

In this picture, see how the backing plate is centered on the Velcro, (black ring around yellow backing plate) and it's almost an exact fit. If the backing plate were a little larger in diameter - I would NOT be able to see where to attach it to the Velcro so it would be aligned. Make sense?

In this picture the two backing plates on the outside are just a little undersize for the Velcro backing so I'm able to center them. The middle backing plate is "almost" exact fit and I can still center the BP to the pad.

It's really difficult and time consuming to try to fit an oversize backing plate to an undersize backing material on a pad.

Hope this helps.