autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Convert Dremel rotary tool into 1" or 2" polishing rotary tool

Few years back I brewed up a Dremel "backing plate". Used a 1˝" piece of dowel and Dremel's little shaft that has a tapered screw (wood) on the end. Cut a piece of foam polishing pad (the hand type) and put a piece of Velcro on the "plate" and pad.

Did it work? Yea but it needs to come up with some speed so's not to bog down. It worked pretty well on the 'wood' trim (interior) scratches using Plastx. But it is defiantly a two handed operation! Really easy to get the surface way to hot.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I polish a lot of metal and once adapted a 3" flappy wheel to mine. Burned up the Dremel in a matter of minutes. I agree with the lack of torque statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Few years back I brewed up a Dremel "backing plate". Used a 1˝" piece of dowel and Dremel's little shaft that has a tapered screw (wood) on the end. Cut a piece of foam polishing pad (the hand type) and put a piece of Velcro on the "plate" and pad.

Did it work? Yea but it needs to come up with some speed so's not to bog down. It worked pretty well on the 'wood' trim (interior) scratches using Plastx. But it is defiantly a two handed operation! Really easy to get the surface way to hot.

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddyoldgoat View Post
    I polish a lot of metal and once adapted a 3" flappy wheel to mine. Burned up the Dremel in a matter of minutes. I agree with the lack of torque statement.
    Thanks BillE and Muddyoldgoat for your experience sharing. Guess the idea will not work then. The next best thing should be hand drill I guess, since M14 to drill shaft adapter is easily available, albeit it is not as ergonomic as the Dremel.

Post Thanks / Like

I Pm ya a link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    I Pm ya a link
    Hey nothingface5384 , thanks for your PM!
    I was away from the forum for so long, now only I realise your message! Sorry for the late response. I have replied you.

Post Thanks / Like

I burned up my expensive, but older Dremel Tool simply trying to enlarge a hole in a Steel Laminate Home Entry Door to install a new Deadbolt Lock, as I found out the Hole Saw I bought was a measly 1/8" too small in Diameter.

Yep, with just 5 minutes of grinding away at the holes with Stones, and Sanding Wheels, she gave up.

And I found the cause. Inside the Tool, there was a Splined Plastic Tube that connects the Drive Motor to the Drive Chuck-Head. It disintegrated, just cracked and crumbled. That there was not a direct drive from the Motor itself to the Chuck. Luckily, I was able to find an online source for the broken part and replaced it ($11 plus shipping) without having to toss a virtual mint Dremel Tool otherwise. Lesson learned.

Not sure about how more modern Dremel Tools are constructed, but I would say this would not be the ideal tool of choice to use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12