autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Pads for Large Throw Polishers?

Quote Originally Posted by refreshauto View Post
    Stick with the Rupes as a system. The pads, compounds and polishes all work great together. I also us the the MF cutting and finishing with the Rupes
    I agree. All the components together are pretty potent at their respective tasks.

My go to combo on the Rupes is to cut with the blue microfiber / Zephir, and finish with yellow foam / Keramik.

The yellow foam pad is pretty versatile. I believe you can use any of their polishes on it and get great results.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

Yellow pad is good. The rest are OK.
    I completely 100% disagree. RUPES pads are top quality in all aspects.

BTW, you can get away with a 1-step using MF pads(depending on paint color).
    I completely 100% disagree. I don't think color has anything to do with it. Paint hardness "yes". Color? No.

Defects show up to your eyes easier on darker colors like micro-marring which is the most common problem when using microfiber pads. Light colors get micro-marred too but it's harder to see it with your eyes but that doesn't mean it's not there.

We tried using microfiber pads on the Ferdinand Magellan Railcar with Joe Fernandez and the microfiber pads micro-marred the hell out of the paint.

Mike Phillips

To the thread starter...

Lots of feedback in this recent thread on basically the same topic...

Pads for rupes bigfoot 21 mark 2

Post Thanks / Like

Best Pads for Large Throw Polishers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

I completely 100% disagree. I don't think color has anything to do with it. Paint hardness "yes". Color? No.

Defects show up to your eyes easier on darker colors like micro-marring which is the most common problem when using microfiber pads. Light colors get micro-marred too but it's harder to see it with your eyes but that doesn't mean it's not there.

We tried using microfiber pads on the Ferdinand Magellan Railcar with Joe Fernandez and the microfiber pads micro-marred the hell out of the paint.

I didn't say micro marring isn't there, but if you can't see it, who cares? When I say paint color, I was referring to light metallics. The rail car was a dark color, therefore, marring was much more noticeable. I guarantee, if the railcar was a light metallic, and you couldn't SEE micro marring, you would have used MF pads.
    '03 Corvette Z06

5. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I ended up buying the rupes "system" and lake country thinpro's should be here Friday so I will post how I like them. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't say micro marring isn't there, but if you can't see it, who cares? When I say paint color, I was referring to light metallics. The rail car was a dark color, therefore, marring was much more noticeable. I guarantee, if the railcar was a light metallic, and you couldn't SEE micro marring, you would have used MF pads.
    I care about the paint. I have a passion about polishing the paint. I would try my best to polish the paint. The color does not matter what matters is the quality of work. Their is no easy way.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

All the pads made for big throw work great. Rupes, Meg thin disc, BnS , and LC. The Rupe pads are still my favorite. The Rupes yellow pad just works so well with so many compounds and polishes. It's the most versatile pad I've used. Has plenty of bite, finishes like the Rupes white, and is crazy durable.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

so im considering at long throw, looking at the BOSS 21 since I still love my GG6 and that warranty is just great, I really like using MF pads and currently use the BOSS MF pads on my GG6 with the vented backing plate., with the micro marring issue would you think its safe to use a compound with a MF pad and then use a polish pad with essence to finish it off and then coat?

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow pad is good. The rest are OK.

BTW, you can get away with a 1-step using MF pads(depending on paint color).
    People talk about being able to One step the rupes yellow with something like sonax perfect finish is there an equivalent for the buff and shine to the urotec to the yellow rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I completely 100% disagree. RUPES pads are top quality in all aspects.

All rupes pads work well with the Rupes system, but there are some durability issues IME, especially with the green & blue foam.

Unlike the B&S uro-tec maroon pads which are extremely durable when used with both solvent based and water based compounds, the rupes green pads in particular have a higher tendency to prematurely degrade and according to rupes their foam pads are not meant to be used with solvent based compounds and polishes.

I think this is important to note, because if someone already has compounds like M101, FG400, or SHC300 and they are trying to find the best foam pads for their Rupes machine, Rupes green & blue foam probably wouldn't be the best option for them. They would likely have better luck with LC HDO Foam pads or B&S uro-tecs.

Also, personally I will often sell 1-step corrections on light color vehicles based on my customers budget. I often find that using microfiber cutting pads provides the most correction with such light haze/micro-marring that I can barely see it and it looks virtually perfect to my customers. Certainly, there are many times where microfiber cutting pads would leave too much micro-marring and foam is the the better option BUT for me it's a case by case scenario. I am all about giving my customer the best bang for their buck possible and often times that means using a MF cutting pad and a compound like Jescar Correction compound or Boss Fast Correcting Cream then immediately following that up with with the LSP (usually Powerlock+).

Yes, there is micro-marring that I can see under 5000k LED lighting but if my customer see's perfection.....

You are right that paint color has nothing to do with the amount of micro-marring left behind but I think what Mark is alluding to when he says "you can get away with a 1-step w/ MF pads depending on paint color" he's coming from the perspective of a professional detailer and there are certainly situations where a 1-step w/ a MF cutting pad is completely appropriate.

12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12