autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor DA tips?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Harbor DA tips?

Im new to detailing (weekend warrior trying to find a good ratio of quality work done to time spent-not trying to get too fancy ill leave that for you guys lol)

Ive been watching junkman2000's videos and they have really helped me, BUT one problem I am having is he gives speed recommendations for the PC but IDK what speed I should use for the HF? He also gives an idea of how quickly to work across the surface with the PC vs flex (16 count vs 8 count using music as a guide). I could wing it (i think) but thought it was safer to ask here before attempting it.

Going to buy a 5" backing plate and lake pads to go with my m105 and ultra polish

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Harbor DA tips?

The Harbor DA is similar to the PC, so I would think that the speed recommendations for the PC will apply, not the FLEX.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Speed 5 on that machine is the same as the Porter cable. (There nearly identical machines)

Junk man's videos are good for newbies however his videos are helpful but also mis leading in alot of ways. As he has too many rules that you have to do it his way. And doesn't go over basics

Such as hard and soft paint, determining if your paint needs compound or if you just want a basic shine and not a 100 percent defect free surface.

Alot of newbies think they have to do a multi step polish just to make there paint shine and get a few defects out that's not the case.

M205 and a PC with a polishing pad can remove 30% or more of defects as well as improve gloss tremendously. And alot of people just exactly want that paint enhancement not showroom paint correction

Poor newbies think they have to use compound, polish, and wax to get these results.

When a product like HD speed will provide this result with way less effort.

Not to mention that some paints don't even need to be compounded in the first place.

He just rambles on to watch his videos 100 times and wax doesn't shine and he don't like all in one's.

Yet he uses a all in one product for a sealant ? Called midnight express that had an abrasive in it and is called a wax.

Learn the basics but don't take everything that guy has as a complete 100% must.

Another thing he fails to say is use a inspection light to inspect your work.

All of us pro Detailers still can't polish paint without an inspection light it's impossible.

After every pass I inspect to see if I'm satisfied or if I need to keep going.

If you need more cut, you can use speed 6 it will vibrate more but that machine lacks in the power department so if your doing any kind of real polishing work 4.5 to 6 is the only settings that will fix your paint.

If you have any questions feel free to message me or ask away in the thread all of us love to help

Post Thanks / Like

I also read that your not trying to get too fancy, and you just want quality work.

If you want quality work and don't have all the time. You can just use meguiars 205 and a cutting pad.

Or get a product like HD speed, menzerna 3 in 1, boss finishing sealant, car pro essence. Meguiars paint re condition cream, XMT 360.

Those are all polishes and wax in one it will give your paint an amazing shine and slick feel, and these products can get you 30%-75% correction in most scenarios depending on the polish ability of your paint and how bad it is

https://youtu.be/reDOrZz26sA

There is a review I did of menzerna 3 in 1 that you can buy here on autogeek

I got about 75% correction with just that one product, and I could of gotten better if I did more passes, no compound needed.

Didn't need 105 205 and then wax.

1 step and those results in that video is still better then 99% of the cars paint that's on the road.

And those results are pretty much what people are after.

Post Thanks / Like

My HF machine has quite a bit more torque and speed than my 7424xp.

I'll go up to speed 6 on the PC, but speed 4 is the max I go with the HF.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NextLevelDtail View Post
    A very detailed and helpful post
    Thanks for all the advice dude I really appreciate it

I do already have ultra polish as well as ultimate liquid wax....but was thinking about adding m105 because there are scratches (not really bad ones but definitely noticeable) and tons of swirls. I think the previous owner took very good care of the car in general (I have a bunch of service records from lexus) but maybe too many automatic washes....but it is a 2000 lexus GS400 and if id have to guess it has soft clear like many other japanese cars?

Totally good advice on the flashlight thats what I was thinking about doing.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    My HF machine has quite a bit more torque and speed than my 7424xp.

Thanks for the info! Conflicting speed compared to what NextLevelDtail said (4.5-6), are both of you and NextLevelDtail recommendations based on experience with the machine? I wonder why there is such a difference maybe preference or chinese variance?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherali View Post

I do already have ultra polish as well as ultimate liquid wax....but was thinking about adding m105 because there are scratches (not really bad ones but definitely noticeable) and tons of swirls. I think the previous owner took very good care of the car in general (I have a bunch of service records from lexus) but maybe too many automatic washes....but it is a 2000 lexus GS400 and if id have to guess it has soft clear like many other japanese cars?

Thanks for the info! Conflicting speed compared to what NextLevelDtail said (4.5-6), are both of you and NextLevelDtail recommendations based on experience with the machine? I wonder why there is such a difference maybe preference or chinese variance?

The hf da does have more torque, again don't concentrate so much on what junkman says it has to be speed 5, on some paints speed 4 is all you'll need and on a different one you'll need 6 just to get any progress.

On your paint that's more then likely on the softer side.

Get a cutting pad ie: lake County orange light cutting foam pad, and pair it with a product like 205 or HD speed, do your passes on speed 4.5 and after inspect with a flash light. See if your getting desired results, if not bump up aggression and so on.

Also what's important in using these style machines is to prime the entire face of the pad with product , that way 100% of the pad had abrasives on it and the pad is working for you 100% not just some spots.

You will cut better and polish better this way

Try to get a led light with at least 100-200 lumens

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherali View Post

Since you already have the Ult Polish(=205) you may want to consider Ult Compound (=105) UC is easier to work with than 105 and does not dust as much and has a longer working time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Ditto here. I typically do my heavy correction at 4~5 on my HF and go down to 4 for finishing. I've never gone wide open at 6. I typically apply wax/sealant at 2~3.

To clarify, I'm also using a Lake Country 5" backing plate and Lake Country 5.5" flat pads.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it

What I ordered:
    Astro 4607 5" PU Velcro Backing Pad

Meguiar's G17216 Ultimate Compound - 15.2 oz.

Chemical Guys 5.5" sampler (hexlogic pads)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast