autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need a start up kit

I have the Mt300, porter cable, and the flex. The flex is the best in my opinion. However for the money the porter cable is a great DA polisher. If the porter cable cant get the job done then you may need a new paint job...

Post Thanks / Like

I personally went with the GG6 and love it, equipped with a lake country 5.5inch backing plate (not sure why but the guys on here told me to so I did lol), lake country thin pro pads in Orange & white, and some HD speed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about vibrations, then a rotary would be what you need. I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner but out of my rupes 15 gg6 and cheapo rotary, the rotary is the smoothest.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a newbie and currently have a HF unit. No complaints with it, but if I were to step it up I would go with the GG6. I don't have a ton of money to throw around so that one would work for me.

Post Thanks / Like

GG6
    B.O.S.S. correcting cream and finishing sealant
    B.O.S.S. white orange and black foam pads
    Optimum Power Clean
    I think this will give you the best bang for your buck and is easy to use
    As for tire dressing and glass cleaner anyone of the choices on here will work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello DANDJ,

Based on your criteria listed within your posts I would recommend do some comparison shopping and create a item list for what will fulfill your requirements.

In My Opinion Only it seems as an example Megs MT300 would leave you 'without', considering the diversity and number of vehicles you intent to maintain. For comparison lets use Griots Garage 6" Correct & Finish Combo for $180 as a core starting point, then if you can, wait for a decent promotion and stock up on pads, MF towels, and solid polishes, and pad cleaners using the money you've saved on the kit.

Why I recommend this is no matter how nice the machine is its useless when you've run out of clean pads and MF towels or polish.

Steve

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well right or wrong I bought a Astro Pnumatics DA. They claimed low noise and vibration. It is a 8mm throw. I used it today to polish our solid surface shower just to try it out and I thought it was good. I needed low vibration because of a broken wrist in 2011 and to much vibration will make me miserable the next day. We will see what tomorrow brings as I will do the second coat.

This came with 3 pads and I already had some Glare polish to use. I would have bought a flex or rupes if I could afford it. I was afraid that the GG ,PC,HF would have made me hurt the next day

Now to buy some more 6.5" pads. I may want to buy a 3" DA or maybe some pads for the drill?

The info you guys gave was helpful in many ways even tho I bought something different. Now I am in search of a great deal on pads as suggested by Steve

Lots to learn here as I love the classes. Boy have I neglected things.!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12