autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby question

Post Thanks / Like

Newby question

Hello all. I know most of you probably have read a question like this a dozen times but here it goes. I am completely new to all this and am about to purchase a porter cable da polisher and some pads. I am looking for a "one step" deal for polishing as I will be using it on my 2015 f150 that is pearl white. It has some very light swirls from the factory and that's it so I am wanting to polish those out then seal it. I need something idiot proof and was leaning towards Wolfgang products and sealer? There are about 10,000 products so I wanted to ask you guys with way more experience what you use in this situation and would recommend. My process was going to be
    1) wash with two bucket method
    2) blow dry then finish with microfiber
    3) nanoskin the whole truck
    4) wash and dry again
    5) polish
    6) seal

Any reason that wouldn't work or if you see anything you would change, please let me know!! Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newby question

Looks good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

@mattmann. Hi, if it were me I would:
    Wash
    Dry with Cobra Guzzler [or similar quality waffle weave] Not a regular microfiber towel
    Blow dry just the cracks & crevices after drying with the towel, and not the entire vehicle [because water spots can form in a short time, even on a new vehicle because it's not yet waxed/sealed, resulting in you chasing the spots around trying to remove them and basically unnecessarily rubbing on your paint]
    Clay instead of nanoskin [IMO clay is alot more intricate than using a nanoskin, especially on a white car, because you can visually see all the little bits of contaminants you remove as you clay. Using the nanoskin you have to rub considerably harder on the paint in order to fully remove those little specs of contamination.
    From my experience, the nanoskin is great at making the paint smooth quickly, but if you really want to get it perfect, the claybar still can't be beat at removing it all. Meguiars clay works great.
    No need to wash and dry again. Especially if you're going to polish next.
    Polish
    Seal

And don't forget to seal/treat/dress/coat, or whatever your method for preserving all the plastic trim on your new truck. You'll thank yourself in the long run that you did it from day 1. Or you can remember I gave you good advice and thank me😃

Post Thanks / Like

I did this to my wife's car last fall. But I didn't dry it much after the first wash. Figured I was going to nanoskin it anyway, so any waterspots would be removed then. Turned out great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattmann View Post
    Hello all. I know most of you probably have read a question like this a dozen times but here it goes. I am completely new to all this and am about to purchase a porter cable da polisher and some pads. I am looking for a "one step" deal for polishing as I will be using it on my 2015 f150 that is pearl white. It has some very light swirls from the factory and that's it so I am wanting to polish those out then seal it. I need something idiot proof and was leaning towards Wolfgang products and sealer? There are about 10,000 products so I wanted to ask you guys with way more experience what you use in this situation and would recommend. My process was going to be
    1) wash with two bucket method
    2) blow dry then finish with microfiber
    3) nanoskin the whole truck
    4) wash and dry again
    5) polish
    6) seal
    Sounds like the truck is in relatively good shape. My take is this. Initially, I'm not a 1 step guy, but the second step isn't tough.

Ford F-150's have tough paint. I've done a couple but they were dark blue and black and they had more swirls than just what you have described.

I would suggest starting off testing out Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on a white pad and see what you get. If that doesn't cut-it (pun intended) try and orange pad. I bet that does it for you here. If you need a faster cut or it's not working the next step would be to use their Ultimate Compound which truly finishes like a polish. If need be, step up to an orange pad.

I then tend to apply a synthetic sealer and I usually do so by hand, but that's just me. A black pad and product would work too. I like Menzerma but as with all the products, there are lots of really good ones.

Looking at your initial steps, I think you can simplify things a bit.

Wash
    Dry with Microfiber - just blow out the cracks and joints to remove water
    Nano or Clay it
    Finish each panel with a simple gloss enhancer wipe down. No need to fully wash it
    Polish
    Seal

Good luck, be sure to take pics and post back!
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

For what its worth to you I keep it even more simple if i am not going to Iron X before claying. I wash first and don't bother drying at all. I then soap up a section at a time with the same soap i used to wash it and then run my nano glove over every panel. Once done with that section i rinse and move on. After i have nanoskinned the entire vehicle it's thoroughly rinsed then dried. Then blow out all tight areas. Basically i only fully dry once.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I will update with pics as soon as I get my porter cable in and get the time off from my job to do it!

Post Thanks / Like

I also recommend Menzerna PL as a sealant. Or Megs Ultimate Liquid wax. Both great sealants for a daily driver.

If you're truly looking for a 1-step, you could try something like HD Speed or Griots 1-step Sealant. "Cleaner sealants" with some cut. Lots of HD Speed fans here.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a 1 step because this is going to be my first time ever using a da polisher and I don't want to get in too deep for my every day driver. Also, on the coatings. I am nervous that I will mess up my sealant. I need to know what the most idiot proof coating is. Ive heard horror stories of people leaving high marks and what not.

Post Thanks / Like

With most sealers you don't have to worry about high spots. "Coatings" are another type of product entirely, so we must not confuse the two. Coatings are relatively new tech that typically last 1-2 years per application (and they take a little more "know-how").

Sealants don't last as long as coatings, but sealants do offer much better longevity than traditional "car wax". ***You won't have any problem at all with a sealer.*** They're basically synthetic waxes and apply similarly (often easier than a wax).

So the question becomes... Do you want to polish first with your DA to remove swirls and then apply a dedicated "paint sealant" as a second step?

Or do you want to polish and seal with an "all-in-one" type product (this would be your "1-step").

Both have advantages/disadvantages. If you want to save time, go with the all-in-one (ex. HD Speed). Just like it sounds, it polishes and seals with one product.

If you want a maximum level of correction, as well as a better longevity with your sealer, it would be best to polish first (ex. Meguires Ultimate Compound/Polish) and then apply your sealer (ex. Meguires Ultimate Liquid Wax).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast